General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I’ve just caught ten minutes of GMB for the first time.

Piers Morgan: ‘And next we’ll talk to Lord Sugar about the man who committed suicide after appearing on Jeremy Kyle because you have a TV show, don’t you Lord Sugar?’

AS: ‘Yes and I’ve also got two of these’ *holds up two BAFTAs.*

PM: ‘But these people who commit suicide after TV shows know what they’re signing up for’

Fuck me, how is this shit continue to be broadcast?

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

What the fuck do Sugar's baftas have to do with some poor bloke killing himself?

Aye, that’s what I was thinking. The ‘banter’ between the two was cringeworthy.

I wasn’t paying attention after that but I’m fairly sure I heard Sugar say that Corbyn would introduce 85% tax rates and come and take all our money.

For some people this is all they’ll hear about politics in a day. It’s dangerous that that sort of lie can go unchallenged.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2019 at 12:26, Renton said:

He's wrong. HS2 isn't about speed, its about capacity ("high throughput 2" didn't have a good ring to it though). There will be much more seats available for London services, as well as shorter journey times. What's more, the west and east coast main lines will be freed up meaning much better commuter services and freight can be taken off the road. The cost is spread over 2 decades so is probably less than 3 billion annually, a tiny proportion of GDP and will create a fuck ton of productive jobs. It's exactly the type of scheme a progressive should support, and we are miles behind Europe and Asia. Transport within cities should be improved too, but its not an either or situation. 

There was a good docu on HS2 earlier this year.  They are quoting it as £53bn IIRC but they had an expert on who had advised Japanese, Dutch, French and Italians on big Train projects and he said that's just the cost from london to Birmingham.

Do you work for Railtrack Renton?

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

There was a good docu on HS2 earlier this year.  They are quoting it as £53bn IIRC but they had an expert on who had advised Japanese, Dutch, French and Italians on big Train projects and he said that's just the cost from london to Birmingham.

Do you work for Railtrack Renton?

I don't have anything to do with the rail industry other than an interest in trains (I know) and as a relatively heavy user. And some interest in economic analysis. I've read a lot. The 53 billion is certainly the quote for both phases according fo what I've read and the official documentation. Obviously it might over run. Probably will. 

Building infrastructure on this island is prohibitively expensive because of land value and nimbyism, the Chilterns are being tunnelled under to a large extent which is insanely expensive (and will lead to crap views on the train). Whats the alternative though? Do nowt and suffer worse and worse conditions? Build more roads which are actually much more destructive? Some people suggest we can simply modernise the existing victorian infrastructure. That's already been tried on the WCML. We spent 18 billion quid, there were years of disruption because the tracks had to be closed, and the improvements were minimal. 

HS2 just seems to be an easy target for some reason, stoked by fake news from tories living in the home counties who won't benefit. But unlike most policy nowadays it's raisin d'etre is logical, and it's implementation is evidence based as far as I can tell. It will deliver huge economic benefits and drag this country's transport belatedly into the 21st century. 

You've got Jeremy Cunt this morning saying he wants to double defence expenditure against some imaginary robot threat. I know where I would rather investment went. 

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Will it actually deliver benefits to the North?

The economic modelling suggests unequivocally yes. It's not just the London connection, cross country to Birmingham will also be transformed. We really need it to be tied in with HS3 (Northern powerhouse) though, but I admit I can't see that happening because it won't benefit London.

It's ridiculous that this country has the richest region in Northern Europe (London) and something like 7/10 of the poorest (the rest of England, Wales, Scotland). So whatever we have now isn't working. Managed correctly, HS2 can help imo. Not a magic bullet though. 

38 minutes ago, Renton said:

I don't have anything to do with the rail industry other than an interest in trains (I know) and as a relatively heavy user. And some interest in economic analysis. I've read a lot. The 53 billion is certainly the quote for both phases according fo what I've read and the official documentation. Obviously it might over run. Probably will. 

Building infrastructure on this island is prohibitively expensive because of land value and nimbyism, the Chilterns are being tunnelled under to a large extent which is insanely expensive (and will lead to crap views on the train). Whats the alternative though? Do nowt and suffer worse and worse conditions? Build more roads which are actually much more destructive? Some people suggest we can simply modernise the existing victorian infrastructure. That's already been tried on the WCML. We spent 18 billion quid, there were years of disruption because the tracks had to be closed, and the improvements were minimal. 

HS2 just seems to be an easy target for some reason, stoked by fake news from tories living in the home counties who won't benefit. But unlike most policy nowadays it's raisin d'etre is logical, and it's implementation is evidence based as far as I can tell. It will deliver huge economic benefits and drag this country's transport belatedly into the 21st century. 

You've got Jeremy Cunt this morning saying he wants to double defence expenditure against some imaginary robot threat. I know where I would rather investment went. 

That's the big issue really.

Building more roads ISN'T the answer that's for sure.  It's like having a heart bypass when you're an obese mother fucker and continuing with the same diet.  Look at LA.  A mate of mine spends close to 5h a day getting into and out of the city on his commute!  They added another lane in each direction to 5 lanes each way of traffic and fuck all changed.

Modernising the Victorian infra like you say is expensive.  Again, look at the massive sewer they are putting into London, billions of pounds spent and they're trying to future proof it.  We simply cannot do that to the rail networks.  It's sticking plasters when a full mummy suit is needed.  Just adding a few bits here and there will not work as it will have to go back in a few years time and re-do it.  Future proof it now and maintain it and it will be better in the long term. 

Look at how fucked the roads are.  A large portion of roads around Harrogate are about to be surface dressed.  Again, cheap fucking option.  Pay cheap, pay twice.  In 18 months they will have to do it all again.  The fucking useless sub-contractors they use are fucking hopeless.  They dont repair the potholes and just spray down the bitumen and then surface dress it.  Within day the potholes are visible again and bang, back to square one.

Unfortunately though too many cunts in government have their fingers in too many pies.

Working from home and teleconferencing is an obvious solution to a lot of this. Unfortunately it doesn't work because lazy twats like me just log onto toontastic or the like. 

• Haha 1

I can't quite believe it but ITV did the right thing and canned Jeremy Kyle. Permanently, with all previous episodes removed.

Absolutely the right decision, was a dismal show at the best of times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I can't quite believe it but ITV did the right thing and canned Jeremy Kyle. Permanently, with all previous episodes removed.

Absolutely the right decision, was a dismal show at the best of times.

Damage limitation tbh, and they get zero respect from me because without the negative press they would have been producing more episodes for years to come

• Like 4