General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

3 hours ago, The Mighty Hog said:

I swear Tudor did a limited edition Chicken Tikka in the early 90's but I can't seem to find any mention of it.

They did. 

Also Kipper, Lamb and mint sauce, curry, tomato sauce, and sweet and sour. 

Clearly the Research and Development team were a bunch of pissheads. :lol:

• Haha 2

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/26/amanda-eller-hawaii-forest-found-alive-only-option-life-death

This dope. Hails her amazing yogic intuition for getting her out of the situation. The same intuition that only days earlier convinced her that her car was parked deep into the forest and that she should keep heading in that direction. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, zerosum said:

anyone remember hedgehog flavour crisps? didn’t last long .. 

They were sued under the trades description act, lost, went to court, and won after changing the flavour to actually taste like real hedgehogs. Which taste rank, so the company folded. Allegedly. I think "novelty crisp loses novelty" is closer to the mark personally. But they tasted okay.

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/hedgehog-flavoured-crisps?page=3

• Like 1

I read about that meteor that dumped over sea at Australia other day, apparently with as much force as a small nuclear blast.

Just seen this clip of footage. Good job it was over the sea!

• Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 21:13, Kid Dynamite said:

Phileas Fogg did an extra hot tortillas in the 90s. They literally burned your mouth. Got banned in the end cos they were full of GM shit

A classic crisp 

ATTENTION TT MEMBERS! 😯

I've been offered a job today via email after an interview on Monday. At the interview they asked my salary which I told them:

a. my basic

b. what I actually earned (6k more than basic ,overtime etc.) 

They said at interview

a. salary is negotiable 

b. no scope for overtime 

They've today offered me just under my basic. I'd normally ignore it but I really fancy the job. 

It's also less holiday by 4 days and I'd have to do every other Saturday (but I wouldn't have to do a week of 24 hour call outs 5 times a year) 

the lad who's been doing the job has had a van provided because hes been doing a 3 hour commute. I live 10 mins away. 

Am looking for advice on how to start negotiations. instinct tells me to go high but that might make them go to no. 2 on the list?  :unsure:

I think you can make a decent case to them and say that your current basic + overtime affords you the standard of life you're accustomed to and while you're really keen on the position, it's going to make things difficult for you to have to tighten your belt for it. If you want to hedge, I suppose you could go in and say that you're prepared to meet them half way on the overtime, get a £3k payrise, and they can offset that against the cost of fuel for the van. Maybe you could stretch it to £4k. They're unlikely to blow you out completely over that I would think.

• Like 1

Be very surprised if they walk away to number 2 without negotiating, especially as they have offered you the job.

When I hire I get some mental wage demands from newly qualified people, if we want them we will generally negotiate to get to a point where we are both happy.

Is the job worth a pay cut? If not personally I would go high and see what they say.

• Like 1

I would tell them that you're not looking to move for less than you're currently on as you couldn't make that work financially. 

Tell them that hopefully the fact that you won't need a van will allow them to stretch to meet your current salary. 

I would really play on the "I have financial commitments that would literally make it impossible for me to leave my current job for the money you're offering", but tell them that you are very keen on the role and you're not playing games. 

Be prepared for them to ask how you can have financial commitments that need overtime for you to meet them in your current job - just make something up in preparation. 'I've been working there long enough to know that this level of overtime is unavoidable for them' or if you haven't been working there long 'I took the job there on the understanding that they were expecting a certain level of overtime from me'. 

Good luck anyway, hope it works out. I wouldn't worry too much about them going to number 2 unless you want this job enough to accept a chunky paycut. 

• Like 1

The only way I'd take a paycut would be if my commute was eliminated altogether - I think they've got a nerve undercutting you by that much (your ot). 

I'd argue the case but be pretty firm. 

• Like 1