General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

13 hours ago, NJS said:

The only way I'd take a paycut would be if my commute was eliminated altogether - I think they've got a nerve undercutting you by that much (your ot). 

I'd argue the case but be pretty firm. 

Spoken like a true contractor :D

For 99.85% of my working life I’d have told them to shove it. I took a job on the books a couple of years back though. Mobile engineer,  we cover 2/3rds of SW England. Gloucester at 2am on a call out. Closer to Birmingham :glare:

This job is 10 mins from home looking after the plant in the local shopping centre. Free parking. As you say the commute is virtually eliminated and plainly they know this is the draw. 

9 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'd..... What the fuck would I know? :lol:

Good luck with it, Rob! :good:

Cheers. It’s tricky trying to be cunning and subtle after a lifetime of being a loud mouthed gobshite :D

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Spoken like a true contractor :D

For 99.85% of my working life I’d have told them to shove it. I took a job on the books a couple of years back though. Mobile engineer,  we cover 2/3rds of SW England. Gloucester at 2am on a call out. Closer to Birmingham :glare:

This job is 10 mins from home looking after the plant in the local shopping centre. Free parking. As you say the commute is virtually eliminated and plainly they know this is the draw. 

Cheers. It’s tricky trying to be cunning and subtle after a lifetime of being a loud mouthed gobshite :D

My contracting days are well past :). 

The commute thing can be a huge deal. I feel I waste about 2.5 hours a day even if that means I'm quite well paid so I can see the appeal. 

Last time I was looking for a job 5 years ago I was looking at both contract and perm jobs and a contract came up paying City rates but in Chelmsford. I would have reclaimed all that time and been able to lie-in or go for a really good gym session first thing. 

I almost begged the agent for an interview but the problem was it was in insurance and they're really funny about IT and usually only consider people with experience in that field so I missed out. 

I didn't get the commute/travel point in your first post so I'd now say go for it :)

Don’t undersell yourself. I can’t imagine moving for a pay cut but it depends on how much you want it. If they want you, they’ll give you what you want as long as you don’t take the piss. I’d start by asking for 10-20% more than what you’d settle for so you have room to negotiate down if they start playing hard ball. 

3 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Strolling to work and found a 1849 penny. Two weeks ago, I found a 1898 silver dollar.

A metal detector was not needed.

Is it because you wear a magnetic cock ring?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Woman murderer let off and everyone rejoices. We're losing the gender war.

What is this  "we"  gender to which you refer?  Cunts trying to be edgy on the internet?  :cuppa:

When I left my old shit hole they intereviewed a lad I knew.

They offered him 5k less than what he was on and 5 days less holiday and sold it as 'Oh we pay a decent bonus' Oh you mean the discretionary bonus?

6 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Woman murderer let off and everyone rejoices. We're losing the gender war.

I might be an idealistic, simplistic, sexist pig but I'd question how she could stay with him that long - I'm not saying it's easy for women to escape situations like that but it's easier than it used to be. 

I'd also question the non-acrions of grown sons if they knew what was going on. 

18 minutes ago, NJS said:

I might be an idealistic, simplistic, sexist pig but I'd question how she could stay with him that long - I'm not saying it's easy for women to escape situations like that but it's easier than it used to be. 

I question if a man would be given the same leniency if he did a woman in with a hammer 

2 hours ago, NJS said:

Is it easier than it was 10 years ago

3 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Is it easier than it was 10 years ago

I meant in the last 20/30 years than it was before that going back to 50s/60s and beyond- aside from support and refuges etc it was harder for women to make it on their own without family support and with society probably looking down on them. 

Certainly in my lifetime its easier than it was in my parent's generation and before that. 

As I said I know I'm being a bit naive about how some lives work (sadly) but it still seems wrong for someone to suffer so unnecessarily for so long. 

18 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Yesterday. 

Did you not get the letter from Man Club International

Aah, mammaries 

• Haha 1