General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

18 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Typically, people take 3 days to do the Nose. 

I’d guess the extra time is due to her climbing the ropes directly more than on a usual ascent ( due to her height she’d struggle to reach many of the holds). 

Or maybe she’s just shit :D

Had a mate who used to climb the big walls of the Alps. He and the others would shit into plastic bags suspended on the wall if necessary. Grim. 

I’m back - was only 7 day trip. 

The biggest difference I found was the pace things are done- what would’ve taken 2 days onshore ( If I’d really  dragged things out), took 4 days. :lol:

We were there to cut and cap a small, redundant pipe under the deck- rig the ropes, set up rescue system, have the pipe fitter climb out and do the job ( 1hr max), de-rig, pack up, done. 

Except… the second he cut in to the (supposedly dead for years) pipe, oil started pissing out, all over him, the ropes, and in to the drink. 

Our rescue plan was to lower him in to the rescue boat, which was on standby. 

As soon as we radioed them to come underdeck and get him, they said the swell was to much and they couldn’t come in. 

So we went to our back-up plan and brought him back through the oil covered ropes to deck. 

The subsequent inquest was fun :lol:  

We had all the paperwork from the rig operators stating the pipe was isolated, empty, etc , when it clearly wasn’t. 

The rescue boat should have alerted us to the swell being too much before we started, which they didn’t. 

We were praised for dealing with it quickly and safely, having back-up plans in place etc, having the fitter in all his PPE, and getting him quickly back on deck. 

We then had to re-rig the whole thing with clean ropes, and go back out and do it again. 

All before the weather came in. 

Which we did. 

It was a lively first trip. :lol:

( Had a day “on standby” waiting for places in a chopper to get home, so tore the neck off it :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Had a mate who used to climb the big walls of the Alps. He and the others would shit into plastic bags suspended on the wall if necessary. Grim. 

I'd honestly rather be in jail. 

39 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Poor fuckin pipey :lol:

Id imagine if it's a 40+ year old  rig the record keeping & permit system will be all over the shop. 

:lol:

He wasn’t best pleased. 

36 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Just watched it, good viewing that.

Really makes me want to goto Yosemite.

It’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever been to. Definitely stick it on your to do list.

• Like 2

Agreed, I’ve travelled a fair bit and am yet to see anywhere as dramatically beautiful as Yosemite national park. We almost went to Banf in Canada this year, which looks like it might run it close, but decided on Costa Rica in the end.

LA is class if you hang out in the right areas (Santa Monica/Venice/Brentwood)

I’ve done the west coast several times and few different ways - the ideal route, I think, is fly into LA and chill in Venice/Santa Monica while getting over jet lag for a couple of days then take your time driving up the Pacific coast highway 1. Stop at Santa Barbara wine country and Big Sur. a day or two is plenty in SF, then you can drive to Yosemite, spend up to a week there and camp on the valley floor if you book far enough in advance. If you’re there in late spring/summer take the Tioga pass (highest road in California) to Death Valley, also mind-blowing - then spend a couple of days in Vegas before flying out. Good way to end the road trip of a lifetime.

There are numerous side missions you could take, if you have time: sequoia national park, though there are awesome giant redwoods at Yosemite. You could easily spend a week at Lake Tahoe/Mammoth Lakes. You could a few days at least a week driving up the PCH, so many lovely little towns to visit and explore, you might even see migrating whales on the way. Then there’s Napa, but I think Santa Barbara wine country is its equal and easier to fit into this road trip.

i wouldn’t bother with Dan Diego, personally.

Ignore the above post, it is quite possibly the worst advice I've heard since I was told to shave my pubes to get rid of crabs.

You want to go North to South in order to be on the right side of the road to fully appreciate the view and drive.

LA remains shite, I was based in Santa Monica and anything more than two nights is a waste.

San Diego is one of the most chilled cities you can visit with plenty to do and see, perfect to end a holiday rather than the neon sweat pit that is Vegas.

And if you're going to Yosemite then treat yourself to a proper lodge rather than living like a bear in the woods as Gloom would have you do.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Ignore the above post, it is quite possibly the worst advice I've heard since I was told to shave my pubes to get rid of crabs.

You want to go North to South in order to be on the right side of the road to fully appreciate the view and drive.

LA remains shite, I was based in Santa Monica and anything more than two nights is a waste.

San Diego is one of the most chilled cities you can visit with plenty to do and see, perfect to end a holiday rather than the neon sweat pit that is Vegas.

And if you're going to Yosemite then treat yourself to a proper lodge rather than living like a bear in the woods as Gloom would have you do.

48 hours in Sin City or Sea World at San Diego. Tough choice :lol:

San Diego is v dull compared to most of the things on my itinerary. Seriously, ignore this simpleton and follow the advice of someone who really knows the state. I’ve forgotten how many times I’ve been as I used to travel there most years. Ewerk’s itinerary sounds like he’s only been once as it’s straight out of the rough guide.

There is much more going on in LA than SF, for example, if you know where to look. 

Edited by Dr Gloom