General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I honestly think I’d have given that back. 

Aye, when I read that story the other day, my first thought was also  “ what kind of cunt doesn’t give it back?”

People are cunts. 

• Like 1

Bizarre. I read a case about a lass who found a 20 pound note on a shop floor and pocketed it. Someone had dropped it. Long story short, the customer who dropped it came back and enquired, the CCTV showed she'd taken the money, she was prosecuted for theft, and now has a criminal record which has fucked her employment. All for not handing in a 20 quid note. And this fucker gets away with pocketing nearly 200 grand?!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Volcano on a privately owned island has gone BOOM, as volcanos will tend to do. 
People were pictured inside the crater moments before it went up. 

It last erupted in 2016, and the NZ Volcano boffins had warned it was likely to go…

New Zealand volcano: At least five dead with number expected to rise https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50708727

@Andrew can you let us know if you’re dead, mate? ;)

I'm ok, sorry to worry you pal.

• Haha 1

They didn’t steal anything. They were given something in error and didn’t return it. Morally abhorrent but perfectly legal. The law is an ass

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

They didn’t steal anything. They were given something in error and didn’t return it. Morally abhorrent but perfectly legal. The law is an ass

They didn't. But if you find cash, and pocket it without reasonably trying to find the rightful owner or handing it in, that is theft. It seems to me to be perverse that you can pocket a tenner and get prosecuted for theft, but if someone deposits thousands in your bank account in error, then that's not theft.

Here's the story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-39119990

I researched this because I went to a cash point and the previous person, who had gone, had left 100 quid in the machine. I thought about the ethics, but sharp handed it in to the shop the cash point was joined to after reading this! Bet the staff in the coop had a good night out as a consequence!

15 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2019/dec/07/i-lost-my-193000-inheritance-with-one-wrong-digit-on-my-sort-code?__twitter_impression=true

The banks are so crooked. My 85 year old Gran was convinced to transfer £10k by scammers last year. She did it in person at the bank, failed her security questions because she was so flustered, but the bank completed the payment anyway. After months of arguing with the bank she got about £3k back 

Okay, by sheer chance I've just discovered this has happened to me. I'm getting building work done, so wiring money out left right and centre. One of my contractors has complained he hasn't been paid. I've checked and money was sent out to the right name, but somebody elses bank details (my mistake). The person the money went to hasn't mentioned it. Fortunately I still owe this individual about the same amount so I'm just going to deduct his little windfall from that. I'm disappointed by his dishonesty.

But goes to show the banks can't be arsed to cross reference names with account details. All this shit about bank security, 16 character passwords, etc, and they can't even be bothered to check a fucking name. Mine was for £400, but as that case demonstrates, and J69s, it could be for much more. Beyond a joke. 

• Like 1

How many transactions must go through on second?  

However, they should be more robust than that.  If you put a reference in and a name it should be able to look at that and the account number and flag it up surly.

11 hours ago, Renton said:

Okay, by sheer chance I've just discovered this has happened to me. I'm getting building work done, so wiring money out left right and centre. One of my contractors has complained he hasn't been paid. I've checked and money was sent out to the right name, but somebody elses bank details (my mistake). The person the money went to hasn't mentioned it. Fortunately I still owe this individual about the same amount so I'm just going to deduct his little windfall from that. I'm disappointed by his dishonesty.

But goes to show the banks can't be arsed to cross reference names with account details. All this shit about bank security, 16 character passwords, etc, and they can't even be bothered to check a fucking name. Mine was for £400, but as that case demonstrates, and J69s, it could be for much more. Beyond a joke. 

Hang on, if you owe this guy roughly that amount, is he dishonest by not complaining that you've paid him roughly what you owe him? :scratchchin: 

37 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Hang on, if you owe this guy roughly that amount, is he dishonest by not complaining that you've paid him roughly what you owe him? :scratchchin: 

Yes, because it came to him several weeks ago before he would be expecting any pay, and he's invoiced me for the whole amount since. 

Youre going to love this Fish, he's a local double glazer and has also done a bit of a shit job. Ive had to pay a grand on remedial plastering as well. What was it you said? Something about paying twice? :icon_lol:

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yes, because it came to him several weeks ago before he would be expecting any pay, and he's invoiced me for the whole amount since (after trying to overcharge me by a grand). 

Youre going to love this Fish, he's a local double glazer and has also done a shit job. Ive had to pay a grand on remedial plastering as well. What was it you said? Something about paying twice? :icon_lol:

Does he have as bad a hand writing as Kieron Dyer?

56 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yes, because it came to him several weeks ago before he would be expecting any pay, and he's invoiced me for the whole amount since. 

Youre going to love this Fish, he's a local double glazer and has also done a bit of a shit job. Ive had to pay a grand on remedial plastering as well. What was it you said? Something about paying twice? :icon_lol:

We're going to need to get the windows at the back done as they're not double glazing. The Mrs said she'd phoned round a few big companies and someone would pop round to give us a no obligation quote.

Safe to say I told her she's out of her goddamn mind. We'll use a local firm for local people.

14 hours ago, Renton said:

To be 100% absolutely fair, as someone who writes  that kind of backend stuff in the financial industry for a living

That mistake is entirely your fault. ;) 

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

To be 100% absolutely fair, as someone who writes  that kind of backend stuff in the financial industry for a living

That mistake is entirely your fault. ;) 

It is. In the same way as dropping my wallet would be my fault. I do find it exceptionally odd though that there isn't some built in security for when people make human mistakes. I mean that case with the inheritance being wired to the wrong account was technically his fault, but the bank should have still stopped it. Surely matching names to accounts isn't too difficult?

It makes you wonder what the fuck money really is anyway. A few photons in a fibre optic cable, electrons in a chip, 0s and 1s. None of it is real is it?

tenor.gif

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

It is. In the same way as dropping my wallet would be my fault. I do find it exceptionally odd though that there isn't some built in security for when people make human mistakes. I mean that case with the inheritance being wired to the wrong account was technically his fault, but the bank should have still stopped it. Surely matching names to accounts isn't too difficult?

It makes you wonder what the fuck money really is anyway. A few photons in a fibre optic cable, electrons in a chip, 0s and 1s. None of it is real is it?

tenor.gif

The problem with names and free format fields as fields to be validated against is that people are stupid.

They get other peoples names wrong, the get their own names wrong, they assume they know how to spell common names which they don't, they give their own names as the name on the account when it is the companies (or the other way round).

That name based validation will be a total pain in the arse for companies to implement if they don't already have it.

There has to be, eventually, individual responsibility on the customer to make sure they move their own money correctly. While what happened to that guy is unfortunate and absolutely full of system related cock-ups the companies I work for would not countenance the guy literally gave the wrong bank details to his solicitor, that that wasn't triple checked when they exchanged those details is their fault.

Its poor from Barclays but when you're talking about dealing with £200k and you do that without checking you're giving the absolute right numbers (a 6 digit and an 8 digit, its not rocket science) you're an idiot and that is not the banks fault.

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

The problem with names and free format fields as fields to be validated against is that people are stupid.

They get other peoples names wrong, the get their own names wrong, they assume they know how to spell common names which they don't, they give their own names as the name on the account when it is the companies (or the other way round).

That name based validation will be a total pain in the arse for companies to implement if they don't already have it.

There has to be, eventually, individual responsibility on the customer to make sure they move their own money correctly. While what happened to that guy is unfortunate and absolutely full of system related cock-ups the companies I work for would not countenance the guy literally gave the wrong bank details to his solicitor, that that wasn't triple checked when they exchanged those details is their fault.

Its poor from Barclays but when you're talking about dealing with £200k and you do that without checking you're giving the absolute right numbers (a 6 digit and an 8 digit, its not rocket science) you're an idiot and that is not the banks fault.

This is pure bull shit imo. It should be a piece of piss to introduce fuzzy logic protocols to make sure names and account details approximately match, it wouldn't have to be exact. Any oddities could be followed up manually. It just smacks of the banks absolving themselves of responsibility, replacing paid staff and putting all the consequent  risk on their customers.