General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

6 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Enough first world problems people...this is apocalyptic....if this is the shape of things to come it will see mass emigration from a western style democracy due to climate change....

Its mad like, we're more than 2000km away from Sydney here in Christchurch but New Years Day it was 29 degrees (not that odd for summer) but the sky was brown.

All the ash and smoke carrying over made the sunlight red, everything was sepia toned, one of my colleagues who lives outside the city had this view

5dlY6Zx.jpg

Rather than this one

BLwys8F.jpg

The glaciers in milford sound, at the very south of the country are being stained by the ash

1577942465329.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Nice one. I’m going to recommend going vegan to my mate who also suffers with gout. 

It’s an absolute no brainer like!

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Its mad like, we're more than 2000km away from Sydney here in Christchurch but New Years Day it was 29 degrees (not that odd for summer) but the sky was brown.

All the ash and smoke carrying over made the sunlight red, everything was sepia toned, one of my colleagues who lives outside the city had this view

5dlY6Zx.jpg

Rather than this one

BLwys8F.jpg

The glaciers in milford sound, at the very south of the country are being stained by the ash

1577942465329.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 1

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

5dlY6Zx.jpg

Rather than this one

BLwys8F.jpg

1577942465329.jpg

So this is the time of year my Dad traditionally nearly dies. He collapsed yesterday and was taken to resuscitation at Cramlington, got a phone call, rushed there thinking he was dead. He's a tough old bugger  though and looks like he will pull through again. Pneumonia this time, and a seizure. Previously he has miraculously survived an abdominal aneurysm, a broken femur, and hospital acquired septicaemia. He's 86 now and I know one of these days that will be that. Also know we virtually all have to face it, but it's still hard isn't it?

Other than that I'm wiped out by being at hospital most last night (and he's still on a trolley btw), hate what my job has become, hate the house I bought which is a money pit and is now causing me financial problems, and have worsening anxiety and I suspect depression issues ad a result. Hoping this is just a midlife crisis tbh. Happy New Year!

• Like 2

Ah man Renton mate, you're going through a tough patch.  Dig in kid and hopefully things start to look up.

I have similar with my old man.  He's a similar age.  Hopefully he pulls through and tells you that you were being daft worrying like my old man does to me.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, strawb said:

Tough run that mate. Hope things even up for you.

What are the issues with your house?

Cheers mate. 

The house is a long story. To summarise, I got it at knock down through a private sale, but it's a massive renovation job. So i hired the best architect, engineer, and builders I could find to renovate and extend it. 15 months later I'm still paying a fortune on the mortgage and additional rental of a flat. There's been countless fuck ups on the way despite hiring people with the best rep and basically I've ran out of money spending on all sorts I hadn't anticipated. And to top it off my land lord is selling the flat so massive pressure to get moved. Not easy with a family with2 kids. 

It'll be alright in the end I'm sure. Really regret doing this now though. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

(just kidding, sounds like a shit start to the year. hope your old man is feeling better soon!)

TT does actually help, cheers. Especially for all the political shit and environmental  that is happening. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Cheers mate. 

The house is a long story. To summarise, I got it at knock down through a private sale, but it's a massive renovation job. So i hired the best architect, engineer, and builders I could find to renovate and extend it. 15 months later I'm still paying a fortune on the mortgage and additional rental of a flat. There's been countless fuck ups on the way despite hiring people with the best rep and basically I've ran out of money spending on all sorts I hadn't anticipated. And to top it off my land lord is selling the flat so massive pressure to get moved. Not easy with a family with2 kids. 

It'll be alright in the end I'm sure. Really regret doing this now though. 

sounds like it would have been a good episode of grand designs. it always works out in the end, even if you end up spending so much you have to work until you;'re 80

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

sounds like it would have been a good episode of grand designs. it always works out in the end, even if you end up spending so much you have to work until you;'re 80

Aye. Place looks shit now but once all the second fixes are done, new flooring, decorating it will be fine I hope. It's a great location.  

1 hour ago, Renton said:

So this is the time of year my Dad traditionally nearly dies. He collapsed yesterday and was taken to resuscitation at Cramlington, got a phone call, rushed there thinking he was dead. He's a tough old bugger  though and looks like he will pull through again. Pneumonia this time, and a seizure. Previously he has miraculously survived an abdominal aneurysm, a broken femur, and hospital acquired septicaemia. He's 86 now and I know one of these days that will be that. Also know we virtually all have to face it, but it's still hard isn't it?

Other than that I'm wiped out by being at hospital most last night (and he's still on a trolley btw), hate what my job has become, hate the house I bought which is a money pit and is now causing me financial problems, and have worsening anxiety and I suspect depression issues ad a result. Hoping this is just a midlife crisis tbh. Happy New Year!

I can totally sympathise. My house is now done but it was a nightmare, my dad's canny fit but is getting on and I thought we were going to lose my mam the other year through cancer and an operation. I hate my job too. Really hate it. Aye, I've definitely been at the 'what if' stage for a good few years now wondering how I couldn't have screwed my head on a bit more when it counted. Hit the middle aged crisis thing a bit early a decade ago in my mid 30s, (I've always liked to make sure I'm not late), and have had the stress of looking after the lass and fighting the power, (sometimes work, sometimes DWP). I'd love to just chill my way into retirement and go through the motions but it isn't as easy as that. You're not the only one, I know that's not going to be much consolation and we've all got our battles in our lives, why life couldn't be a bit easier on most of us is the question that rarely gets asked but should be asked a fucking whole lot more. Anyway, moan over, good luck and the house WILL get sorted and the sigh of relief will be heard from Berwick to Durham just like my sigh was heard. :lol:

:good:

• Like 4

I’ve lost mum & dad in last 18 months then mums sister just before Christmas. A lot of us are at that time of life where funerals are the norm rather than the weddings of our 20s & 30s. It’s fuckin shit. Better burying all them ourselves though than the other way around . In life sometimes you’re ahead and sometimes your not, that’s what I tell myself anyway. It keeps me mostly sane. I took the whole of 2016 off to go round the world, to hoots of derisive jealously on here I seem to remember :lol: Since I’ve been back I’ve been to 7 funerals. In other regards I’ve not had to put up with anything that I couldn’t foresee like the problems @Howmanheyman & his family have had with the DWP etc. Perspective is required if you want to “keep the heed” as my old man would put it. Hope things turn out ok @Renton :good: 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 6

To my TT n-words that are having a tough time of it: don't worry, my new years resolution is to be even funnier this year. 2020 is gonna be one big 365 day laughter fit. 

(genuinely hope things improve for you all soon)