General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

BBC casually announcing that Cardiff University May have found a cure for cancer. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51182451

Good news. I think most of us will know someone who has had cancer and its fucking awful

Apparently 300,000 people died from cancer in the UK in the last 4 years. That's the best part of 1million people in a decade. That's a big burden on the NHS, pension fund etc. if they all survive. Wouldn't be surprised if the top dogs in the world weren't too eager to find a cure for it. Or am I going a bit Parky? 

• Like 1

A Pharma company would make an absolute fortune out of it. They wouldn’t be arsed about other companies losing out. That would be my take, although who fucking knows who’s pulling what strings? J’s theory isn’t beyond the realms of possibility 

Just seen this, anybody who has worked in the field of cancer research will know that a cover up is complete Parky nonsense. It's just not how it works, there are thousands of people working in cancer research in universities and not for profit organisations. A universal cure would benefit everyone, including pharma CEOs, or do you think they would have their treatment in secret? As for the economics, cancer is a huge drain on healthcare. If people lived longer after having their cancer cured they will die of something else, but it will very likely be cheaper than terminal cancer.

I've read loads of stories like this over the years. I hope there's something in it. But because of the complexity of cancer I think such a cure all is unlikely in our life times, not because of some pharma cover up. 

This coronavirus looks like a bit of a whopper. Only 17 dead so far but they've just put another city (pop 7.4m) in lockdown, all trains suspended, vehicles being checked, bars and cinemas closed. 

Is this the planet finding its own solution to the climate crisis? 

Edited by Gemmill

I'm hoping it's just precautionary by the Chinese. As in, it's better to overreact in case it suddenly becomes more potent, than to risk it remaining relatively benign.

Alternatively, official death toll is much higher than is being reported and it's a full blown crisis.

Edited by Rayvin

Yeah just read up myself - apparently the CCP had been pretty indifferent to it for about a month, so the idea that this is precautionary seems doubtful. I suspect many more than 17 have died and in fairness, quarantining an entire city is fairly extreme.

It is absolutely not beyond the Chinese government to level the whole city if it feels it has to, so we'll see how things develop i suppose.

Edited by Rayvin

3 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

M & S :icon_lol:

82856631_1901059200027628_68580475101627

😂 Although it’s no more random than it would be for most people celebrating Chinese New Year I suppose 

32 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

This coronavirus looks like a bit of a whopper. Only 17 dead so far but they've just put another city (pop 7.4m) in kickdown, all trains suspended, vehicles being checked, bars and cinemas closed. 

Is this the planet finding its own solution to the climate crisis? 

It's mad init.

That and SARS broke out first in China didnt it?

It did. Was just reading that the main reason this happens is because of their dedication to warm meat and wet markets. They don't chill their meat, disease passes far more easily as a result. Their populace determinedly sticks to it.

Edited by Rayvin

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/22/extract-from-hunger-games-prequel-sparks-anger-among-fans

The quotes from the annoyed fans are exactly what I was hoping for when I clicked on the article. :lol: The world is bursting at the seams with cunts. 

What is this *checks notes* business btw? As far as I can tell it's the preserve of *checks notes* complete and utter cunts. 

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/22/extract-from-hunger-games-prequel-sparks-anger-among-fans

The quotes from the annoyed fans are exactly what I was hoping for when I clicked on the article. :lol: The world is bursting at the seams with cunts. 

What is this *checks notes* business btw? As far as I can tell it's the preserve of *checks notes* complete and utter cunts. 

Aren’t they kid’s books? 

Aye I don't read them, I just thoroughly enjoy people getting annoyed that books or films aren't being made exactly to their specification. :lol:

Having said that, this business of Lee Child deciding that he's had enough of writing Jack Reacher books, so his brother is gonna write them for him instead.... well that can fuck off. :lol: I've only read one on holiday once and haven't gone back but that is taking the fucking piss. 

• Haha 1