General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

You can mock but the only person on here giving this thing the resssspeck it deserved a month ago was yours truly. 

I've been taking it seriously ever since people with Union Jack flags in their name on Twitter started talking about scaremongering and calling it the flu tbf

We have a semi-casual working from home policy - I tend to do it for deliveries etc but some teams have a mandatory one day a week on a rota basis. 

Anyway our version of the Cobra committee have asked everyone to log on at 8pm tonight as a sort of stress test of the remote infrastructure. 

I reckon if there are no issues there'll be a general work from home order until this shit is over. 

Honestly, if one of the unintended side-effects of this whole thing is more companies and organisations realising how much can actually be done remotely these days without commuting, business travel etc., then that'd be something, at least. I know that's limited to those of us who work in service industries that don't actually make or produce anything of use and we'll be the first on Golgafrincham Ark B when the time comes, but at least we'll have had a healthier work-life balance in the meantime.

• Like 1

You're right but there would be question marks - those who have annual rail STs and station car park tickets would have to adjust to a casual basis which would have to work out depending if it was an all in proposition.

33 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

we'll be the first on Golgafrincham Ark B

Speak for yourself, pretty sure that was full of hair dressers, taxi drivers, and telephone sanitisers. 

8 hours ago, Ant said:

Surprised the school went ahead with it at all sure italy was shutting down before saturday as it was

They left on Saturday morning. 
The official advise then was to travel, as the Aosta Valley was clear. 
(If they’d cancelled then, no refunds would have been forthcoming.)
As it was, they got there Sunday morning, got fitted for skis, boots etc, and were then told at 8pm Sunday evening, that the Aosta Govt. would be closing the resort the following day (today). 

They set off home at 4:30pm today. 
The only slight positive is that we should be getting a full refund as it was the Aosta regional government that closed the resort, but that’s not going be high on the list of priorities for a 12yr old lass :lol: 
She’s just gutted that they were literally at the bottom of the hill and couldn’t get on it. 

39 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

They left on Saturday morning. 
The official advise then was to travel, as the Aosta Valley was clear. 
(If they’d cancelled then, no refunds would have been forthcoming.)
As it was, they got there Sunday morning, got fitted for skis, boots etc, and were then told at 8pm Sunday evening, that the Aosta Govt. would be closing the resort the following day (today). 

They set off home at 4:30pm today. 
The only slight positive is that we should be getting a full refund as it was the Aosta regional government that closed the resort, but that’s not going be high on the list of priorities for a 12yr old lass :lol: 
She’s just gutted that they were literally at the bottom of the hill and couldn’t get on it. 

Let her spend the refund on something nice.

I remember the only foreign trip I did at school, a skiing holiday in Austria. Snapped my leg in two on the first fucking run, spent the weak in hospital dosed on morphine but still in agony, couldn't walk for months etc. Anyway, the costs of the holiday were covered by insurance. Did my parents let me have any of it? Did they fuck! 35 years on I'm still resentful. :D

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

I read somewhere that the DNA history of Iceland showed that the original settlers were Viking males, and Celtic women- the implication being that the Vikings stopped in Scotland/Ireland to “pick up essential supplies” before heading off to their new colony. 

Edit; it’s a good few paras down in this 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/viking-slavery-raids-evidence

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Anyone ever done their DNA on ancestry?.... disappointing lack of Viking in mine. No t surprising that my brother  & cousins on mums side are all gingers :lol:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/origins/share/1e035f1b-d34e-407a-9f00-0040a4311676

52% English, 46% Ireland, 2% from Sweden. With the 52% being specifically Durham /Tyne & Wear / Borders. 

Makes sense as my research confirms my mams line has been in Shields for centuries and my dad's great grandparents were famine era Irish immigrants. Don't know where the Viking comes from. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NJS said:

52% English, 46% Ireland, 2% from Sweden. With the 52% being specifically Durham /Tyne & Wear / Borders. 

Makes sense as my research confirms my mams line has been in Shields for centuries and my dad's great grandparents were famine era Irish immigrants. Don't know where the Viking comes from. 

Skol 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Anyone ever done their DNA on ancestry?.... disappointing lack of Viking in mine. No t surprising that my brother  & cousins on mums side are all gingers :lol:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/origins/share/1e035f1b-d34e-407a-9f00-0040a4311676

The wife did this imagining herself as possibly a 'Spanish Princess' or a distant relation to Cleopatra or something exotic*. The first results she got back were 100% British and Irish. She wasn't impressed. :lol:

*I'm exaggerating a little bit, obviously. Just a bit though. She's now apparently 63% Northumbrian, 15% Northern Ireland and SW Scotland, 4% Ireland, 4.7% NW Scotland, 4% East Anglia, 2.7% central England, 2.3% South Yorkshire, 1.9% Cornwall, 1.1% NW England.

(I've left a few point percentage points out if anyone is bored enough to add them up) :lol:

I've also obviously had to ask her to check and she knows I'm taking the piss so expecting her revenge in the next day or so.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
Wasn’t Cleopatra from Ashington, though? 

Yes, she was well known for flirting with powerful Roman men. (Flirting on the Nile on her personal ship). When she wasn't flirting on the Nile she was on solid ground chatting them up.

• Haha 2