General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I thought they went forward. 

They do. Poor attempt to confuse everyone and get a cheap laugh cos it makes no odds anyway and nobody knows what day it is. MF - the only way to get hand sanitizer round our way at the mo is to summon the underground dealers of Gateshead and promise them the  contents of the Controlled Drug cupboard. 

Normally I’d say it’s the best night of the year to be at work but..

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Any of you old cunts on here fortunate enough to have gone to The Station back in the day??? Looks like fun.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/mar/31/moshpit-mayhem-station-punks-gateshead-chris-killip-hellbastard

I certainly consider myself an old cunt who might have enjoyed that but I was 16 in 1985 and lived nearly 60 miles from Gateshead... Only place I used to see punks in town was in the broken doll, a hang out for them, stoners, students, football hooligans and other assorted radgies. You would’ve creamed your pants on perusing the juke box in there...

17 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I certainly consider myself an old cunt who might have enjoyed that but I was 16 in 1985 and lived nearly 60 miles from Gateshead... Only place I used to see punks in town was in the broken doll, a hang out for them, stoners, students, football hooligans and other assorted radgies. You would’ve creamed your pants on perusing the juke box in there...

I doubt it would bettered the jukebox in the Sydney Trade Union, man what a club that was. But nothing beats a place with a cracking jukebox. The local I started going to that same year (17), the Iron Workers, had a decent juke box, lots of punk, new wave and stoner classics. These young cunts today don't know what they missed out on. Spotify, fuck off spotify!

Gene would have been a regular wouldn't he? With the meetings and things. Monkey fist is a bit older isn't he? He was probably there sniffing some punk girls seat.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

:lol:
The Broken Doll was definitely one of my regular haunts. 

The Forth, Telegraph and The Dog and Parrot were all decent pubs up that end of town, but the Doll was in a league of its own :lol:

• Like 1

I only went to the doll to procure resin. It was an odd place, a bit star wars cantina but I never felt it that threatening. Trent house, Egypt cottage, and especially the Barley Mow were my town places. The Avenue in Whitley Bay and Surfers in Tynemouth on the coast. Ahh, mammaries.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

barley mow had a quality juke box in the early to mid 90s

That's a bit after my time, did it not turn to a Firkin  around 1990 which ruined it (imo).

Do you remember George Vickers and his harmonica? 

Used to go to the doll as part of match day drinking occasionally in the 80s as well as some others mentioned. Also the doll on some works nights out in the late 80s as well as one of the lads was a bit of a biker. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

That's a bit after my time, did it not turn to a Firkin  around 1990 which ruined it (imo).

Do you remember George Vickers and his harmonica? 

It was a bit later than that. It was still the Barley Mow until about 95-ish I think. Egypt Cottage was good before they ruined it too. Bloke who had the Barley Mow has The Tyne now I think 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

I only went to the doll to procure resin. It was an odd place, a bit star wars cantina but I never felt it that threatening. Trent house, Egypt cottage, and especially the Barley Mow were my town places. The Avenue in Whitley Bay and Surfers in Tynemouth on the coast. Ahh, mammaries.  

:lol::lol::lol:

“ These are not the drugs you’re looking for”

” They fucking are you dressing gowned cunt!” 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Barley mow was always the boozer of choice before a gig at the riverside. That also explains why the tyne is such a good boozer 

Barley Mow was a fantastic pub in its heyday. 
The Baltic Tavern was decent as well, then turned to shit, now it’s a craft beer joint. 
Egypt Cottage was spot on too. 
( a mate once asked Paddy McDee if he wanted a lift up at the urinals 😂). 

I couldn't get my phone to save the screenshot in a small enough file but i got an 83% match with Daniel Jackson from Stargate. I don't know that show.

I flicked the universe over to GOT and got 72% on Tyrion though, so I'm gonna bank that. Also Gandalf LOTR :lol: