General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Went for a swim earlier this morning - gym has sorted it quite well with a booking system to limit numbers.

Absolute heaven to get back in the water for the first time since the end of February. 

Don't fancy the gym yet but a whiff of normality. 

• Like 1

Been looking at doing some work on the house and had a couple of questions if anybody's not a total cunt about it, I'd be delighted.

a) Our mortgage is fixed for another 4 years or so, and this isn't vital work, is it worth holding off until then?

2) we'd need to take some money out of the house, but a few online valuation shows that the value's gone up enough to cover the work, is it necessary to fuck around with the mortgage or is there another (cost-effective) route?

iii) is it necessary to use an architect (there is structural work required).

Right, free free Calippo lolly to the first non-arsehole.

Borrowing more on your mortgage shouldn't be a massive hassle. They'll do the usual affordability and credit checks and send a valuer round as if you were taking out a new mortgage but it's no big deal. You could take out a shorter term loan but you'll obviously pay more back more quickly.

Whether you need to get an architect depends on the work you're doing. I'm knocking a wall through shortly and had an architect friend round to look at it who told me I'd just need to send off a form to the local council with details of what I was doing and what supporting lintel I was going to use and it's as simple as that.

Edited by ewerk

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Been looking at doing some work on the house and had a couple of questions if anybody's not a total cunt about it, I'd be delighted.

a) Our mortgage is fixed for another 4 years or so, and this isn't vital work, is it worth holding off until then?

2) we'd need to take some money out of the house, but a few online valuation shows that the value's gone up enough to cover the work, is it necessary to fuck around with the mortgage or is there another (cost-effective) route?

What kind of work are you doing? Unless it’s a big extension then no real need for an architect, you can extend out up to 4m (single storey, and more than 1m from the boundary) under permitted development.

Would be worth contacting a structural engineer to do you some sums and drawings for where the steels etc are going if it’s just a knock through for example 

Back of our as of Wednesday, we moved out last Thursday for 5 months.

117736811_989376668177387_58354972191999

Davey, no do it now if you can afford it, four years time might see things start to improve.

Don't know about there but here if it is substantial work you would refinance your home mortgage, any other way you are paying higher interest.

It's not necessary a good draughts person could do it but an architect will save you a bit of ball ache if you have to deal with government bodies - here you deal with local council and those cunts try it on all the fucking time.

An architect will have ideas a draughts person will draw up what you want.

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

What we did was sell our house and bought a wreck in a better location with more potential. We had enough from the sale to finance the building work. On a fixed mortgage now which finishes next year, when hopefully we can refinance to get some money to pay off some short term loans and finish off stuff we can't presently afford (principally a new drive way).

I'd wait personally now though to see how things turn out, you'll have to pay a charge to change your mortgage. Id definitely get an architect and structural engineer for anything but the simplest extension. There's so much scope for fuck ups. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

finish off stuff we can't presently afford (principally a new drive way).

Jaysus, sure I’ve some tarmac left over from a job I just finished up the road. I’ll do you a good price.

Edited by ewerk
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, strawb said:

What kind of work are you doing? Unless it’s a big extension then no real need for an architect, you can extend out up to 4m (single storey, and more than 1m from the boundary) under permitted development.

Would be worth contacting a structural engineer to do you some sums and drawings for where the steels etc are going if it’s just a knock through for example 

Extending into the side return of a Victorian terrace from the kitchen and dining room, and maybe pushing back a meter or so. Aim is to make one large kitchen/dining space that opens into the garden. Have to knock through 2 external walls, stick big doors on the back and make sure there's plenty of light coming in through the extension roof.

13 hours ago, Renton said:

What we did was sell our house and bought a wreck in a better location with more potential. We had enough from the sale to finance the building work. On a fixed mortgage now which finishes next year, when hopefully we can refinance to get some money to pay off some short term loans and finish off stuff we can't presently afford (principally a new drive way).

I'd wait personally now though to see how things turn out, you'll have to pay a charge to change your mortgage. Id definitely get an architect and structural engineer for anything but the simplest extension. There's so much scope for fuck ups. 

To be honest, I agree that it's probably best to wait. We're not planning on moving any time soon and while the kitchen is something we want to do, it's not in a shit state or anything. 

17 hours ago, ewerk said:

Borrowing more on your mortgage shouldn't be a massive hassle. They'll do the usual affordability and credit checks and send a valuer round as if you were taking out a new mortgage but it's no big deal. You could take out a shorter term loan but you'll obviously pay more back more quickly.

Whether you need to get an architect depends on the work you're doing. I'm knocking a wall through shortly and had an architect friend round to look at it who told me I'd just need to send off a form to the local council with details of what I was doing and what supporting lintel I was going to use and it's as simple as that.

Cheers. 

An architect friend, you say. I need to get me one of those. Got a builder and an electrical engineer, but no plumber and no architect. 

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Extending into the side return of a Victorian terrace from the kitchen and dining room, and maybe pushing back a meter or so. Aim is to make one large kitchen/dining space that opens into the garden. Have to knock through 2 external walls, stick big doors on the back and make sure there's plenty of light coming in through the extension roof.

To be honest, I agree that it's probably best to wait. We're not planning on moving any time soon and while the kitchen is something we want to do, it's not in a shit state or anything. 

Full version here:

Edited by Gemmill
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If you are going right up to the boundary at the side it might need a party wall surveyor depending on how next door is laid out.

Would definitely recommend a structural engineer since you will need a fair few steels.

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

Cheers. 

An architect friend, you say. I need to get me one of those. Got a builder and an electrical engineer, but no plumber and no architect. 

An architect wont have a clue about what's holding up the building.  Only whether mocha maker will fit in the corner of the kitchen

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Can’t find the thread about work bullshitters but someone has just rang in to say they have to take their dogs to the vet because it “has a bad head”

Place I used to work had a lad like that.  He once called up and said his dog had tooth ache.  An admin lass said that was the last straw and emailed the main gaffer.  He said he would sort it.  He just emailed the lad asking him not to upset her :lol: 

• Haha 4