General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

'Now we're all getting used to working from home'

Pre-covid:

'how do you do.....[whatever].....in the office?'

There's loads of these types of examples on the radio/television as well as the above summer house stuff. The BBC basically thinks that their news audience all comes from a certain part of the population, a certain part of the population that amazingly reflects themselves and the people they mix with. Vast majority of people I know or work with don't work from home or in an office but you wouldn't know it from the BBC's slant on the British workforce. It's not a big deal in the scheme of things but I do sometimes think, 'Who are you talking to here?' because most times it isn't me they're referring to nor most of the people I know. They have no real knowledge of the rest of the workforce, no real idea and their ignorance comes across quite regularly in this subject. Now put this in context when any dispute between a company and their employees happens and it sticks out a mile even in the way where sometimes they don't even know the correct questions to ask or how to approach the subject. Anyway, going slightly off topic but I'm basically calling them middle class, office based wet farts who haven't a fucking clue. ;)

• Like 1

Yes but you're making out like it's only a tiny number of metropolitan elite who are at home, it's nearly half of all workers. Just because your only mates are PL and Big Dave who works in the garage doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people out there with very different experiences to yours. You should try watching the news some time. ;) 

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yes but you're making out like it's only a tiny number of metropolitan elite who are at home, it's nearly half of all workers. Just because your only mates are PL and Big Dave who works in the garage doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people out there with very different experiences to yours. You should try watching the news some time. ;) 

Fyi

53% > 47% 

Best regards 

A.N. Ignored-Manualworker 

You enjoying  Steph's Lunchbox today mate?  :)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm not making out it's a tiny number of the metropolitan elite :lol:. I'm well aware loads of people work in the office, I'm also aware loads don't which doesn't come across as much in the radio/television media. (Was going to say MSM but I'll give Gloomy a break).

• Haha 2

Mate of a lad I work with, works for DXC (formerly HP) and they've just announced they're shutting their whole office at the Cobalt and all of their other non-secure offices worldwide, (secure offices work as part of MOD etc) and everyone is going onto home working.

Lockdown/Covid has exploded the myth that home working is less productive/a skivers charter etc. Property tycoons are going to be fecked, along with many small businesses, sadly, who support business parks etc. 

Why pay for big offices for no gain.

Mind, if we're talking media overrepresentation, at least it's easy for me and my partner to work from home because we're the only people in the country who aren't also home-schooling.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm not making out it's a tiny number of the metropolitan elite :lol:. I'm well aware loads of people work in the office, I'm also aware loads don't which doesn't come across as much in the radio/television media. (Was going to say MSM but I'll give Gloomy a break).

Its true and its gone on fuckin decades before Covid..." You know what its like, you get to the office and...etc etc"  some fresh faced media type will simper into a camera...well actually mate , no I fuckin don't, I'm changing an effluent pump or putting new filters on the grey water system this morning, not sat at a desk whingeing about how cold the office is like an entitled  wanker  when the settings  are at 23 degrees and all that's required is the application of a fuckin cardigan... 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Mate of a lad I work with, works for DXC (formerly HP) and they've just announced they're shutting their whole office at the Cobalt and all of their other non-secure offices worldwide, (secure offices work as part of MOD etc) and everyone is going onto home working.

Lockdown/Covid has exploded the myth that home working is less productive/a skivers charter etc. Property tycoons are going to be fecked, along with many small businesses, sadly, who support business parks etc. 

Why pay for big offices for no gain.

That's my general view but we had an update from the top bosses a few weeks ago where one acknowledged that view but mentioned that a lot of private pension funds have money in city centre properties so going in the full on WFH direction might affect people in that way. 

My view is that if pension funds are losing money in one area they'll move it to another but I suppose he did have a sort of a point. 

I'm not saying it's an accurate representation of redundancies etc and I didn't sign up to twitter till a couple of years ago but...... You do see the odd post asking if anyone knows of any work because they've been made redundant and when they give their experience it doesn't involve producing/manufacturing etc. I'm just wondering if the shit hits the fan, companies are going to start looking at who they actually need to bring in the pennies and sometimes it can come down to a 'Does he/she need to be covered if they're off?' If the answer is no then I'd think that covers a few of the jobs people are looking for who have been finished recently. As an example, was driving to work this week and for a change didn't listen to music. R5 were speaking to a poor lass who's been made redundant three times since covid, took three different types of jobs on but they were all, for want of a better word, office type jobs and a certain skill set, (which I haven't got myself), but as she was talking about what she has done and what she wants it was noticeable that certain types of jobs are obviously under more threat at the minute whereas in years gone by manufacturing was decimated, (and could still get worse, cough, Brexit, cough) but some of the jobs I'm seeing under threat now are a little different. (Just an observation, not saying everyone is only like me, PL and big Dave who works in a garage somewhere). :D

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm not saying it's an accurate representation of redundancies etc and I didn't sign up to twitter till a couple of years ago but...... You do see the odd post asking if anyone knows of any work because they've been made redundant and when they give their experience it doesn't involve producing/manufacturing etc. I'm just wondering if the shit hits the fan, companies are going to start looking at who they actually need to bring in the pennies and sometimes it can come down to a 'Does he/she need to be covered if they're off?' If the answer is no then I'd think that covers a few of the jobs people are looking for who have been finished recently. As an example, was driving to work this week and for a change didn't listen to music. R5 were speaking to a poor lass who's been made redundant three times since covid, took three different types of jobs on but they were all, for want of a better word, office type jobs and a certain skill set, (which I haven't got myself), but as she was talking about what she has done and what she wants it was noticeable that certain types of jobs are obviously under more threat at the minute whereas in years gone by manufacturing was decimated, (and could still get worse, cough, Brexit, cough) but some of the jobs I'm seeing under threat now are a little different. (Just an observation, not saying everyone is only like me, PL and big Dave who works in a garage somewhere). :D

Strongly suspect you're right there. In a way it makes sense even aside from the Covid/Brexit impact - if employers are realising they don't necessarily need as much office space as they thought, the logical next step is to look at what else (i.e. who else) they thought they needed but don't.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Strongly suspect you're right there. In a way it makes sense even aside from the Covid/Brexit impact - if employers are realising they don't necessarily need as much office space as they thought, the logical next step is to look at what else (i.e. who else) they thought they needed but don't.

Middle Management will be first along the plank

Some companies (multi national with UK offices - like the one I work for) are advertising some new roles for EU folks only (mine isn't doing this - yet)

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Saw Dave earlier,  mentioned something about the flight to Belfast tomorrow night & some jumped up leprechaun taking liberties?? Not sure what he meant but said he'd be back after weekend for the whippet race Wednesday :D

• Haha 2