General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

There used to be a proper old-fashioned grocers , Wrights, on the Fish Quay that did the best bacon I’ve ever had. 
He’d cut it to order, and it was amazing. 

Like many of the property’s there, I think it’s a restaurant now. 

Other than Sambucas, I think the food there is pretty decent Tom, so your Uncle might like a lunch there. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Nar I haven’t been for ages like. 

Well my uncle used to take me when I was a bairn & he’s 89 now. So I thought I’d take him back there after lockdown, am I fuck taking him to Sambucas like.

Well maybe he can buy some decent fish and we can shoot off, maybe go to tynemouth for 10 minutes for the air. 

(Having read that through, maybe the other way around) 

Plenty on the Quay now so don't worry about Sambucas. The Waterfront is top notch for Fish and Chips. Mexican place next door. Rio Lobos iirc. Seaview fisheries is on the main drag if you need wet fish. Oh, and theres a good few boozers, some do decent food. 

They are in the [process of moving the ferry landing on the North side along to Western Quay so you'll pretty much get off the ferry right in the heart of it all. £8m redevelopment. 

18 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

There used to be a proper old-fashioned grocers , Wrights, on the Fish Quay that did the best bacon I’ve ever had. 

Like many of the property’s there, I think it’s a restaurant now. 

Other than Sambucas, I think the food there is pretty decent Tom, so your Uncle might like a lunch there. 

Wights was a great shop. Ships Chandlers for years but....no ships these days. It had a good run and the fella who ran it retired. Allards took it over. The chippy, Oceans,  just past there was taken over by Porky's just before the first lock-down. The Low Lights does a decent meal of the pie variety as well! 

It's a decent night out now. 

It's like being on a different planet down there now. 

42 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I thought this was going to go a different way :lol: 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Plenty on the Quay now so don't worry about Sambucas. The Waterfront is top notch for Fish and Chips. Mexican place next door. Rio Lobos iirc. Seaview fisheries is on the main drag if you need wet fish. Oh, and theres a good few boozers, some do decent food. 

They are in the [process of moving the ferry landing on the North side along to Western Quay so you'll pretty much get off the ferry right in the heart of it all. £8m redevelopment. 

Ah that’s canny like. With how his health is a quick fish & chips is best (he’ll have scampi like) then taking him somewhere to buy wet fish & go home might be best.

He won’t tolerate a boozer these days with me like . Meets the lads from Westoe colliery once a year & he'll have a whiskey. Not many of them left like.

Ship’s Cat is a decent pint when you can get a seat outside in the sun but Low Lights is the more traditional pub out of the lot of them. I’ll second the Waterfront as a good chippy though; not as good as everyone from the coast likes to believe their chip shops are but still top notch. 

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Ship’s Cat is a decent pint when you can get a seat outside in the sun but Low Lights is the more traditional pub out of the lot of them. I’ll second the Waterfront as a good chippy though; not as good as everyone from the coast likes to believe their chip shops are but still top notch. 

TGI Frydays in Seghill is a tremendous chippy. They do battered chips (I know, I know, but bear with me) these aren't caked in batter, it's like a light dusting, they look more seasoned than battered and they are amazing - taste like chips used to taste like in me yoof (when all was done in beef dripping, none of your veggie oil shite). Portion sizes are bloody ridiculously large an all.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Nar I haven’t been for ages like. 

Well my uncle used to take me when I was a bairn & he’s 89 now. So I thought I’d take him back there after lockdown, am I fuck taking him to Sambucas like.

Well maybe he can buy some decent fish and we can shoot off, maybe go to tynemouth for 10 minutes for the air. 

(Having read that through, maybe the other way around) 

3 course for a 5er of great Italian dishes like potato skins with barbecue dip, don't knock it til you've tried it. 

Longsands in Tynemouth has the best chips, they are also very consistent in their offerings. Avoid Marshals even if the queue for Longsands is 10 times longer. Bills in Cullercoats used to be good but has been shite the last couple of times I've been. All the chippies next to the Spanish city are decent although I don't think Pannatrinis has kept up with the others quality wise. Fish Quay also good. 

Edited by Renton

The lad who owns Pannatrinis used to work at Northern Rock when I first started. He left to take over the business. I bet he's loaded. 

I can't get behind all this talk of chips though lads. Got to stay on top of those carbs if you wanna be sexy like me. 

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

TGI Frydays in Seghill is a tremendous chippy. They do battered chips (I know, I know, but bear with me) these aren't caked in batter, it's like a light dusting, they look more seasoned than battered and they are amazing - taste like chips used to taste like in me yoof (when all was done in beef dripping, none of your veggie oil shite). Portion sizes are bloody ridiculously large an all.

Chips and batter are it like. I don't trust a person who doesn't have a scoop of scraps with their fish and chips. (Sorry Mam.)

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Chips and batter are it like. I don't trust a person who doesn't have a scoop of scraps with their fish and chips. (Sorry Mam.)

These are actually cooked in batter - but must be a VERY fine mix, you can hardly see it - but the taste !!!!!!!!!

Got a new job, so I'm on gardening leave until early April. I had hoped Boris would announce the country was opened up for me and me alone, but apparently not. 

Sounds like I'll be able to meet actual friends just in time for me to start working again instead of dossing about the house.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

This is outrageous. I'm way more important than Dave and I've never scored gardening leave. It's the absolute dream ticket. 

I got 6 months of it a while back. Fucking hated it. Would love it now mind.

So, has anybody worked in both the public and private sectors? It's crunch time for me. Really dislike my boss and job, but canny fond of my T&C's and pension. I've made enquiries and think I'm going to be offered a job in the private sector doing similar stuff to what I do now, but for the other side. 25% pay rise, but worse everything else including probably about 70k redundancy protection. The private company has been around a while and just been taken over by a large global firm so job should be secure. I'm told my prospects will be much better. I've got probably one last move before I retire or slow down.

This is all a bit rhetorical, cos I have to leave really, but I guess my question is, is working in the private sector really much harder, can I expect a major culture shift? Thing is, my current experience of the NHS is that it is the most corporate organisation I've ever known, HR are a nightmare. Amybody done this and had regrets or was it for the best?  

12 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Simplest way of reasoning it out as  far as I can see is have you done a job before where you’ve had to turn a profit? 

Sort of. I currently deliver on projects which are worth about 4 times my salary. But thats just one part of the NHS paying another part. Ultimate aim is to save the NHS money by maximising efficiency and blocking patient access to ineffective treatment. This job would be the reverse, working for pharma amd med tech to get them NHS access. Could be handy when the NHS is dismantled too. I don't feel easy about the situation but I've been shafted by my employer to give me little choice unfortunately.

I’ve worked both and PL nails it. 

I didn’t private sector when I was younger, worked long hours, made good contacts got involved in a lot of stuff probably above my pay. Moved to public for a bit of a chill out tbh.

The hours were long and I was basically on call 24/7 if something needed doing immediately.

Sounds like you have made your mind up like so good luck. You will be fine 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gemmill said:

This is outrageous. I'm way more important than Dave and I've never scored gardening leave. It's the absolute dream ticket. 

Dunno what to say Scott... Be better?

19 hours ago, Renton said:

I got 6 months of it a while back. Fucking hated it. Would love it now mind.

So, has anybody worked in both the public and private sectors? It's crunch time for me. Really dislike my boss and job, but canny fond of my T&C's and pension. I've made enquiries and think I'm going to be offered a job in the private sector doing similar stuff to what I do now, but for the other side. 25% pay rise, but worse everything else including probably about 70k redundancy protection. The private company has been around a while and just been taken over by a large global firm so job should be secure. I'm told my prospects will be much better. I've got probably one last move before I retire or slow down.

This is all a bit rhetorical, cos I have to leave really, but I guess my question is, is working in the private sector really much harder, can I expect a major culture shift? Thing is, my current experience of the NHS is that it is the most corporate organisation I've ever known, HR are a nightmare. Amybody done this and had regrets or was it for the best?  

I have. The benefits you miss out on in the private is covered by the extra ££, imo. More likely to be a more progressive outfit as well. My experience of Public sector is it's a bit of a leviathan, but even huge private companies are a bit more agile. Tend to attract better HR as well.