General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

My dad did that when I was a kid, went on a load of the prep/training walks with him, of which I have very fond memories.

Is there a particular cause you're supporting?

Yeah our mate’s partner died a couple of years back, she had an incredibly rare blood condition for over a decade. I’m not sure what it was called but he’s been in touch with the association that represents sufferers and we’re going to do it for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Turns out you'll be doing FOUR peaks if you include the PEAK OF FUCKING IRONY that you got an early vaccination a month before this announcement. Absolutely outrageous. 

9th January I got my first jab mate. 2nd confirmed only this morning as 3rd April :good: 

Isn’t that great news? :) 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Yorkshire 3 peaks or Scafell Pike / Snowdon / Ben Nevis? (Not that I’ve done either like) 

Old Skool  Nevis/Pike/Snowdon........we were thinking of doing a guided organised thing you have to pay for, but we’re now organising it ourselves mostly due to one of our mates being the youngest serviceman to fight in the Falklands war; he did his Royal Marines Commando basic  training after joining at 17 and was sent straight there...needless to say, he’s team leader and will fuckin beast us :lol:  Then you’ve got Triathlon boy, 49 year old with a six pack that most teenage gym lads would be jealous of. Which leaves the rest of us, already being described as “cannon fodder”...

• Haha 1

I don’t envy the driver on those things because it would be a pain in the arse doing it and having to drive but, equally, dull as fuck just doing the driving and waiting around for hours. Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head isn’t that big a deal (it’s the only of the 3 I’ve done). I’ve done much tougher walks than that in the lakes. Should be fantastic if you get a nice day for it

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I can't comment on Pike or Snowdon but if it's any reassurance Nevis is childsplay compared to most of the Monros. 

Aye, you can drive a car to the summit of Nevis. There’s a harder route than the tourist path apparently but that would be fuckin daft with a bunch of mountain virgins from Dorset :lol:

27 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don’t envy the driver on those things because it would be a pain in the arse doing it and having to drive but, equally, dull as fuck just doing the driving and waiting around for hours. Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head isn’t that big a deal (it’s the only of the 3 I’ve done). I’ve done much tougher walks than that in the lakes. Should be fantastic if you get a nice day for it

We’ve got drivers... I might end up just driving too, going to road test the lungs this weekend...see if I’m going to be a sickly hinderance or not...I can walk 6/7/8 miles along the coastal paths, but that’s all I’ve done since having actually contracting Covid at Christmas. Going to give it some big licks in the Purbeck Hills in the next month, see if I’m up to it ..

Definitely do some hill walking to test out the old knees and ankles. I wear knee supports when fell walking these days but get no issues normally and I walk 20+ miles a week 

• Like 1

Scafell Pike isn't too bad if memory serves, I remember if being a bit boring?

Always preferred Helvellyns views and track going up from Wythburn church.

6 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Aye, you can drive a car to the summit of Nevis. There’s a harder route than the tourist path apparently but that would be fuckin daft with a bunch of mountain virgins from Dorset :lol:

Funny you say that, I was thinking as I typed that that the only time I've had a better view for less work was at the summit of Beallach na Bar (the road to Applecross) but I'm no sure it counts as Munro and we literally parked the car to take in the view and get some pictures. Fucking scary road to be driving on though, walking up Ben Nevis was way less stressful. 

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Scafell Pike isn't too bad if memory serves, I remember if being a bit boring?

Always preferred Helvellyns views and track going up from Wythburn church.

Yeah, it’s a straight up and down from Wasdale head. I did Lingmell too but, even then, I thought ‘is that it?’ You do it ‘properly’ too as you start at (more or less) sea level 

Edited by Alex

Snowdon is easiest of the three if you avoid Crib Goch. Sca fell pike is fine. Don't estimate Nevis though. You can't drive up it, you have to walk up it drop sea level which makes it twice the altitude of the others. The weather is usually atrocious, I had 2 feet off snow in June. And if you become disoriented very easy to make a mistake and end up falling down Fiver fingers gully. 

Edited by Renton

12 hours ago, Renton said:

Snowdon is easiest of the three if you avoid Crib Goch. Sca fell pike is fine. Don't estimate Nevis though. You can't drive up it, you have to walk up it drop sea level which makes it twice the altitude of the others. The weather is usually atrocious, I had 2 feet off snow in June. And if you become disoriented very easy to make a mistake and end up falling down Fiver fingers gully. 

Why a Model T was driven to the top of Ben Nevis http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44003271

• Like 1

I’ve just been fucking Shanghaied in to agreeing to “view” a fucking dog. 

I am not a happy bunny- I am fundamentally opposed to pets, and yet I know that within a month, I will be ultimately responsible for picking up the rancid shite of a fucking animal I don’t want in any shape or form. 

FML.  

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ve just been fucking Shanghaied in to agreeing to “view” a fucking dog. 

I am not a happy bunny- I am fundamentally opposed to pets, and yet I know that within a month, I will be ultimately responsible for picking up the rancid shite of a fucking animal I don’t want in any shape or form. 

FML.  

I’ve been told we’re getting a black Labrador puppy when the house is all done up.... then there will be nobody on the planet left who don’t own a fuckin mutt :cuppa:

• Haha 2

We discussed owning a mutt ages ago, and I mean years ago, when I made it absolutely clear that, in the first instance, I didn’t want one, didn’t agree with it, etc etc, but if I had to “compromise”, then it had to be a small, short-haired one that didn’t fucking stink. 

The one we’re going to “see if we like” is a cocker/setter cross, long-haired and both breeds are known for having death breath. 

Champion. 

It’s also called fucking Coco. 

At least give me the minimal satisfaction of naming it Arsehole or Shithouse, or even just Zappa, but no, it’s a fucking Instagram influencer name. 

I am depressed. 

• Haha 1