General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I’m also 50 miles outside of Belfast but sure of course we all know each other. 

Plenty of rumours going about around gangs and paramilitaries but I haven’t followed it closely. No one really seems to have a clue what happened.

Edited by ewerk

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Stop chatting shit then 

Don't let me cramp your style like. If getting the latest gossip on 14 year kids found dead and naked in storm drains is your thing, crack on. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Awful read that. Something happened when he fell off the bike? 

Seems like the most likely thing, ie it being caused by trauma from a blow to the head. The worst thing for the parents is it’ll probably always be a mystery as to what actually happened

The time frame puts paid to some theories. He literally disappears off camera for a few minutes at most and then is back on camera stark bollock naked. Barely time for an altercation. And some of his clothes have never be found 

It's mad to me that he should have to be careful which streets he shows his face in because of which school he goes to. I know most cities have estates you pedal your bike a bit faster through but (inner city London aside) you don't tend to literally fear for your life.

The lack of education in England on the Troubles is scandalous mind. Literally didn't hear it mentioned on the syllabus when I was at school in the 90s

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The time frame puts paid to some theories. He literally disappears off camera for a few minutes at most and then is back on camera stark bollock naked. Barely time for an altercation. And some of his clothes have never be found 

It's mad to me that he should have to be careful which streets he shows his face in because of which school he goes to. I know most cities have estates you pedal your bike a bit faster through but (inner city London aside) you don't tend to literally fear for your life.

The lack of education in England on the Troubles is scandalous mind. Literally didn't hear it mentioned on the syllabus when I was at school in the 90s

Well in the 90s it was still an ongoing political situation and changing all the time. Hard to incorporate into a national curriculum. What subject would you put it in? 

I think kids should be taught more about politics and media bias but then I think you risk teachers imposing their own political views onto kids. 

And? How are people supposed to understand things if you don’t teach them about the context and how situations are arrived at? Things like that and other conflicts like the Arab-Israeli ones are decades, if not centuries, in the making. It’s precisely the sort of thing you should be learning about at school because of its relevance to the present 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

And? How are people supposed to understand things if you don’t teach them about the context and how situations are arrived at? Things like that and other conflicts like the Arab-Israeli ones are decades, if not centuries, in the making. It’s precisely the sort of thing you should be learning about at school because of its relevance to the present 

My point being how do you put an ongoing and changing situation into a national curriculum? And how do you teach it without triggering little Paddy's Dad, who has strong political views on it? 

• Like 1

I don’t know exactly what J was driving at but I took it to mean teaching kids about how the situation in Northern Ireland had been arrived at. I don’t see how you could teach kids about The Troubles without the historical context. Any history that has an impact on the present is likely to be politically charged but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be taught. I agree it’s difficult to get the balance right but it not being taught is more about the rather shameful role of the UK government in the whole thing. Our continued avoidance of those sort of subjects is what leads to the misconception we’re better than everyone else and the world owes us s debt of gratitude. Anyway, you seen the fucking score? 

Ha. That's reassuring, cheers. 

Back on topic then: in my experience, the troubles or the Irish famine just wasn't on the curriculum in British non-denominational schools in the mid 90s. Which is understandable, the full story isn't a great look for the Brits and likely wouldn't instil much in the way of national pride in reasonable people.