General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Put him to bed later :lol:

Fuck off, we don't get much of an evening as it is. Little bugger is often singing Hakuna Matata after 9pm. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, strawb said:

Cordial opinions please. Have gotten into lime  cordial in a big way, used to despise it so must be cos I’m pushing 40.

Deffo an older mans game lime cordial

Goes well with Werthers Originals

Anyone had any experience of leaving a job without another one lined up? Obviously, I’m searching and should hopefully have a couple of interviews lined up (already have one on the cards but it’s a sidewards step really. Will take it just to get out of this place tbh) but if I stick where I am any longer, I reckon I’m about a month away from my mental health going haywire with the mixture of toxic environment, culture and absolute weapons. Is just up and leaving as freeing as it seems? Probably have the money to be fine for a month long job search tbh but obviously can’t guarantee things will speed along that quickly.

9 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Anyone had any experience of leaving a job without another one lined up? Obviously, I’m searching and should hopefully have a couple of interviews lined up (already have one on the cards but it’s a sidewards step really. Will take it just to get out of this place tbh) but if I stick where I am any longer, I reckon I’m about a month away from my mental health going haywire with the mixture of toxic environment, culture and absolute weapons. Is just up and leaving as freeing as it seems? Probably have the money to be fine for a month long job search tbh but obviously can’t guarantee things will speed along that quickly.

you work with @wykikitoon don't you? 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Genuinely sorry to hear about how shit your job is. Obviously you'll have to factor in your notice period, but this might be "I don't give a fuck" period too where you can job search. How are vacancies in your industry? Deffo don't stay if it's fucking your head up mind, not worth i. 

Oddly enough, Mrs Rents is in the same predicament with her work being utter cunts, making her work til midnight quite often. With 2 kids it's fucking ruining her mental and probably physical health. Probably going to resign now without another job to go to, but she has 6 months notice to serve where she can put her feet up and job search.

I resigned my own job 6 months ago but wouldn't have done it without another offer, but my employment is pretty niche, especially in the NE. Genuinely wish I'd done it 10 years ago. 

Funny I had the experience of putting someone in that exact position this morning.

I don't believe in the old maxim of do a job you love. If you love it then that's great but 95% of us aren't that lucky. Just don't do a job you hate.

You'll probably have to work out whatever notice you're contractually required to but finding a new job might take longer than a month simply due to process i.e. waiting for the advert to close, waiting for them to shortlist candidates, waiting for interviews to be scheduled, waiting for a decision etc.

19 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

It's a dual edged sword to be honest; you feel great to get out of the place, but the pressure to find a new job + the rejections can also take a toll. I mean, you could get the first job you apply for, but it might take a while longer. 

You thought about taking sick absence while you look for a new job? I had to take about a month off because of mental health issues and the GP was brilliant. Wasn't in my old role for long after that. 

• Like 1

i wouldn't quit until i had something lined up tbh, but i'm quite risk averse when it comes to outgoings. depends on whether you have kids and a mortgage, i suppose. if you don't and can survive for a few months then it might be quite liberating to just fuck them off and walk before you're offered a new job but there's always a danger you end up taking something because you have to which ends up being as bad or even worse. sorry, that is't very helpful but if i were you, i'd just stop bothering with your current job and just spend most of your contracted hours searching for a job/taking the piss. 

• Like 1

I'm with Gloom. As bad as your mental health is at the minute, being out of work and unable to find a new job will be a pretty dark place, especially knowing it didn't have to be like that. 

Stay where you are but devote all your energies to finding work elsewhere, and leave as soon as you've got something lined up. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Anyone else having problem replying on their phone btw? Chrome keeps shutting down every time I click in the reply box, which is obviously terrible news for the forum. 

What? Eh? did someone say something ??

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm with Gloom. As bad as your mental health is at the minute, being out of work and unable to find a new job will be a pretty dark place, especially knowing it didn't have to be like that. 

Stay where you are but devote all your energies to finding work elsewhere, and leave as soon as you've got something lined up. 

This, exactly this

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Well if there's anyone who's an expert in rejection...

You're only delaying the inevitable, my pudgy potatoey pal. 

You will be mine.

• Haha 2

Cheers, boys. Was leaning towards working the notice and going crackers in the job hunt but like said, too much uncertainty to take the plunge. Luckily no mortgage or kids but do have rent and bills and all the usual expenses to think of (the lass). The Fish’s tactic of putting in the notice and then going on the sick for that month seems like a belter idea though. First time for everything 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Genuinely sorry to hear about how shit your job is. Obviously you'll have to factor in your notice period, but this might be "I don't give a fuck" period too where you can job search. How are vacancies in your industry? Deffo don't stay if it's fucking your head up mind, not worth i. 

Oddly enough, Mrs Rents is in the same predicament with her work being utter cunts, making her work til midnight quite often. With 2 kids it's fucking ruining her mental and probably physical health. Probably going to resign now without another job to go to, but she has 6 months notice to serve where she can put her feet up and job search.

I resigned my own job 6 months ago but wouldn't have done it without another offer, but my employment is pretty niche, especially in the NE. Genuinely wish I'd done it 10 years ago. 

Never had anything as bad as midnight shifts and tbh, the actual work isn’t too bad, it’s just the package it’s wrapped up in that has gotten gradually worse to the point where it’s genuinely hard to believe. As for vacancies, I can probably transfer to another industry as I do a lot of delivery coordinating and inventory/purchasing so it’s not necessarily so niche that I’m railroaded in one field.

45 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Cheers, boys. Was leaning towards working the notice and going crackers in the job hunt but like said, too much uncertainty to take the plunge. Luckily no mortgage or kids but do have rent and bills and all the usual expenses to think of (the lass). The Fish’s tactic of putting in the notice and then going on the sick for that month seems like a belter idea though. First time for everything 

I did the other way, went off sick, found another job, came back, turned in my notice and was almost immediately put on gardening leave for about 6 weeks.