General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Might be a fallacy, but I think you become exempt from benefits temporarily if you voluntarily quit your job. Could be an issue once your savings dry up. 

If your company pays sick leave then get a months sick note off your GP for stress while you look for something else 

• Like 1

I was similar at one point.  Luckily my wife earns a decent wage and we don't have any nippers.  She told me to quit and we could manage but I wouldn't want to burden that on her and I do like work.  Good Luck @Ayatollah Hermionesomething will come up.

As for notice and putting in a sick note, would word get to potential new employees?  How long is the notice period?  If its a month, then can you just break that down into chunks?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dara_Quigley

Id never heard of this case before. A woman had a psychotic episode and was walking down the street naked. A Garda recorded the CCTV footage on his phone and shared it with colleagues. It was then leaked online and viewed 120,000 times. When the lady found out she killed herself.

4 years later and the Garda still haven't confirmed if the knob who recorded it on his phone has been punished or sacked!? 

12 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I was similar at one point.  Luckily my wife earns a decent wage and we don't have any nippers.  She told me to quit and we could manage but I wouldn't want to burden that on her and I do like work.  Good Luck @Ayatollah Hermionesomething will come up.

As for notice and putting in a sick note, would word get to potential new employees?  How long is the notice period?  If its a month, then can you just break that down into chunks?

Actually that's probably a fair point about taking sick leave. This will be disclosed as part of your references and might deter future employees. I'd suggest not to take sick pay unless you really need to,

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dara_Quigley

Id never heard of this case before. A woman had a psychotic episode and was walking down the street naked. A Garda recorded the CCTV footage on his phone and shared it with colleagues. It was then leaked online and viewed 120,000 times. When the lady found out she killed herself.

4 years later and the Garda still haven't confirmed if the knob who recorded it on his phone has been punished or sacked!? 

There was footage of a naked lass walking somewhere in Tyne and Wear recently wasn't there? She came across as an exhibitionist like.  

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

Actually that's probably a fair point about taking sick leave. This will be disclosed as part of your references and might deter future employees. I'd suggest not to take sick pay unless you really need to,

I have been close once to doing it myself.  I just sat down with my boss and told him where I was at and he was very understanding. We changed a couple of bits and then I worked my full notice.  I am still in touch with that gaffer and I appreciated what he did and I would like to think he appreciated I was straight with him and didn't leave him in the lurch.  Now, this situation maybe completely different like.

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I have been close once to doing it myself.  I just sat down with my boss and told him where I was at and he was very understanding. We changed a couple of bits and then I worked my full notice.  I am still in touch with that gaffer and I appreciated what he did and I would like to think he appreciated I was straight with him and didn't leave him in the lurch.  Now, this situation maybe completely different like.

Yeah, but this does remind me of another important adage. Never burn your bridges. Might make you feel good, but nothing to be gained, and always the possibility something will be lost.

At my previous job, my manager just wouldn't talk to me for my final 2 months. Didn't even pass on condolences; got to admit it was hard for me to not say something, but I stayed professional because he has a lot of links to employers I may need. 

• Like 2
  • Jaysus... 1

43 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, but this does remind me of another important adage. Never burn your bridges. Might make you feel good, but nothing to be gained, and always the possibility something will be lost.

At my previous job, my manager just wouldn't talk to me for my final 2 months. Didn't even pass on condolences; got to admit it was hard for me to not say something, but I stayed professional because he has a lot of links to employers I may need. 

I would have filed a sexual harassment claim against him. And I'm so hot, everyone would have believed it. 

I recognise that this was not an option available to you. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I would have filed a sexual harassment claim against him. And I'm so hot, everyone would have believed it. 

I recognise that this was not an option available to you. 

The ayatollah should stop being a fanny and just carry on crying himself to sleep at night like I do thinking of my job. :lol:

A good few years ago now, 14, but was told the average time looking for a job being out of work  was 3 months. Now I've had a week out of work before getting one but also about 5 months so it's a tricky one. I'd love to take a chance myself but I've a redundancy payment to think of plus without it I'm too long in the tooth to do something different and could just end up doing worse shifts and a just as bad job for less money. It's an absolute cunt and I'm sweating on losing my cool or being unlucky before the axe falls at my place, (You need the patience of a saint). Good luck, as you say your circumstances might let you go for it but be prepared for some heavy duty shit from the DWP from what I'm hearing since my last temporary spell with them a decade ago. :good:

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Ive had one day of sickness in about 5 years so I would fully expect my little cunt of a gaffer to play arseholes about it. Then again, what’s the crack with references? Don’t they have to have solid ground to give you a dodgy one? I probably won’t go down the sickness route, might just take a dive in the canteen where there’s no cameras, say the floor was wet and get a claim going.

14 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Ive had one day of sickness in about 5 years so I would fully expect my little cunt of a gaffer to play arseholes about it. Then again, what’s the crack with references? Don’t they have to have solid ground to give you a dodgy one? I probably won’t go down the sickness route, might just take a dive in the canteen where there’s no cameras, say the floor was wet and get a claim going.

I don't know tbh, having never managed people before, and never seen my only references. I think they can be negative by way of "no comment". Days on the sick can definitely be asked for mind, if you're almost never off sick you might want to retain that record. 

49 minutes ago, Renton said:

I don't know tbh, having never managed people before, and never seen my only references. I think they can be negative by way of "no comment". Days on the sick can definitely be asked for mind, if you're almost never off sick you might want to retain that record. 

You can ask for anything in a reference, however 99.9% of professional HR depts will give only dates of employment.

• Like 1

Yeah, for somewhere like the NHS it’s nailed on that they’ll only confirm the dates of employment. Most departments in the civil service won’t even give more than that for another civil service department. Some won’t even tell you if the civil servant has been dismissed before. Edit: just seen the context but probably the same for your place AH. It’s not worth the hassle of a tribunal. 

Edited by Alex

38 minutes ago, Ant said:

Must be different to here, if you're dismissed here the doors shut for good, uber hard to be sacked you'd have to be spectacular to do it, theft/fraud etc. 

Any contractors I've hired generally I get a shortlist of three through, I go over a summary of where they've worked and how it hit some marker I was after (say a PM so it would be x years handling a project of a certain scale or budget) 

If that's not upto scratch they won't even know I read it I just knock it back, other than that it's a quick chat to gauge what theyre like and give an overview of my teams/what they'd be doing in it and a yes/no after that. 

References on request are the standard outside of that. 

Were not really meant to give out references as above, hr handle it and its dates and sickness afaik

If you’re dismissed from the CS it should be a blocker to be employed by them again, with certain exceptions. The problem is depts outsource HR / payroll services and they’ll only confirm dates. In some cases they can’t / won’t even do that. Because the dept might no longer exist through mergers etc or they don’t have the records from before a certain date. You are then relying on the candidate admitting to being dismissed. If they lie and you later found out they’d be dismissed again but that’s unlikely. It’s different re: stuff like fraud because there’s a database of ex-civil servants dismissed and it would’ve meant a subsequent conviction for the dismissal to stand. That doesn’t stop the cheeky fuckers applying again like 

Bought a new car less than a month ago, day after that we went straight into lockdown.

And now tonight on my way home from the gym some cunt crashed into me and promptly fucked off. 

I am...annoyed.

22 hours ago, Alex said:

If you’re dismissed from the CS it should be a blocker to be employed by them again, with certain exceptions. The problem is depts outsource HR / payroll services and they’ll only confirm dates. In some cases they can’t / won’t even do that. Because the dept might no longer exist through mergers etc or they don’t have the records from before a certain date. You are then relying on the candidate admitting to being dismissed. If they lie and you later found out they’d be dismissed again but that’s unlikely. It’s different re: stuff like fraud because there’s a database of ex-civil servants dismissed and it would’ve meant a subsequent conviction for the dismissal to stand. That doesn’t stop the cheeky fuckers applying again like 

Mrs is at CS, took temp job to fill time/occupy her mind after our loss, they had session last week, one area discussed was, if you got fired, even for fraud or the like, after 5 years if you applied again, no-one would know.

On references most major companies will simply confirm dates of employment - I can confirm that so and so worked here between x and y.