General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Sounds to me like he was trying to educate women on their rights in a scenario that most will never have previously considered.

I heard what he said and that was definitely my take away message. He wasn't referring to Sarah Everard, he was saying in future women should not submit to custody to a lone policeman. 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Be interesting to see the fall out from it. I think it's unlikely they turned a blind eye to him being a flasher because he was a copper... more likely that they've got zero time to investigate crimes like that with the cuts to the police numbers and the mental diktats telling them which crimes they need to focus on this week 

There will of course have been similar cover ups in the past but what needs to happen now is that police officers need to be held to a higher standard than the average man rather than a lower one which has traditionally been the case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Sounds to me like he was trying to educate women on their rights in a scenario that most will never have previously considered.

Sounds to me that he's in the wrong job if he couldn't foresee the fallout of comments like that 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I heard what he said and that was definitely my take away message. He wasn't referring to Sarah Everard, he was saying in future women should not submit to custody to a lone policeman. 

Which is exactly the opposite of what they tell Black men and women tbf 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

call out other people who ARE being cunts... 

This. 

The whole "all men" rhetoric is likely all down to the fact that we don't fucking call our peers out often enough when they're acting inappropriately. The result is folk like this cunt Couzens get a string of rapey allegations to the point their colleagues (supposedly) refer to him as "the rapist" and it's all just a big joke until he actually actually murders someone after raping them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

This is much bigger than a policing issue if you ask me. The problem is a severe lack of male accountability for rape culture.

Is it though? There is a huge problem with rape convictions and there has been so much education recently on the issue of consent but this isn’t your average rape case.

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

On a similar note, what are peoples views on this current shit show? 

Not sure how all men needing to be responsible for cunts like Wayne Couzens/violence against women is any different to all Muslims needing to be responsible for terrorists/Islamic extremism? (they don't need to be of course)

The difference is you're a white  male and not a Muslim or a female, so check your privilege, as they say

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

This. 

The whole "all men" rhetoric is likely all down to the fact that we don't fucking call our peers out often enough when they're acting inappropriately. The result is folk like this cunt Couzens get a string of rapey allegations to the point their colleagues (supposedly) refer to him as "the rapist" and it's all just a big joke until he actually actually murders someone after raping them.

I think an important qualifying aspect to this which people leave out is the notion that yeah, many men might be able to make a sexist joke or an objectifying comment and laugh off without feeling the need to go and rape someone, but some other fellas have a far lower threshold. So when we say all men need to police each other's behaviour, it's not because we think all men might be closet rapists - it's because it's the only reliable way to weed out or shut down the ones that are.

And for the men who feel put out about that - yeah it sucks that you have to be policed in this way, but surely it's better to have it set up like this than another woman is brutalised at the altar of "lad culture". 

Men need/have to stop taking this as some kind of attack on them as men, and see it as a collective exercise in protecting women

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I think an important qualifying aspect to this which people leave out is the notion that yeah, many men might be able to make a sexist joke or an objectifying comment and laugh off without feeling the need to go and rape someone, but some other fellas have a far lower threshold. So when we say all men need to police each other's behaviour, it's not because we think all men might be closet rapists - it's because it's the only reliable way to weed out or shut down the ones that are.

And for the men who feel put out about that - yeah it sucks that you have to be policed in this way, but surely it's better to have it set up like this than another woman is brutalised at the altar of "lad culture". 

Men need/have to stop taking this as some kind of attack on them as men, and see it as a collective exercise in protecting women

Bang on. Fucking well said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

The difference is you're a white  male and not a Muslim or a female, so check your privilege, as they say

Skin Colour doesn't come into it. The narrative is around "men", not "white men" 

24 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah, clearly that's the theory/message being put out, but it's a bit reductionist, and far from being "the only reliable way" to fix an issue that is deep seated the world over. 

In the UK this issue links to the jobs for the boys culture and lack of accountability that runs through the police and right up to the likes of Boris and his boys in government. We've had decades of page 3/lad mag/Geordie Shore culture telling our young men it's a right laugh to love tits and to bang as many women as you can. Multi-generations of scumbag blokes who think it's acceptable to knock women about because that's what they saw their dad doing. It's all part of it, there's not just one reason that women are disproportionately killed by men. 

People like Wayne Couzens are broken at a deep rooted level. Being pulled on being a creep more often isn't going to convince him not to be a rapist, it's just likely to make him less brazen about it. And I'd dare say the vast majority of blokes are decent and DO modify each other's behaviour if it oversteps the mark. Although that begs the question, who is the moral arbiter of where this imaginary mark is? @Monkeys Fist is fucked in that case. We've been laughing at his booby posts on here for years

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On a personal level, i don't see what i can do, other than not make women feel uncomfortable by walking behind them at night etc. I work in a female dominated office and have never heard anything untoward to women. Previous job was 50/50 and the same. Ditto one before that. I guess that's because my jobs have been academic, white collar, and now, corporate. I live with 5 females, although admittedly 2 are guinea pigs. They gang up on me, the shits.  I hate misogyny, its one of the reasons I find islamic culture distasteful. But at the same time i feel increasingly some feminists verge on being misandrist. I understand why, but obviously i dont feel good about it. 

Suppose i could stop eying up lasses arses but that's hard wired isn't it? :unsure:

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

On a personal level, i don't see what i can do, other than not make women feel uncomfortable by walking behind them at night etc. I work in a female dominated office and have never heard anything untoward to women. Previous job was 50/50 and the same. Ditto one before that. I guess that's because my jobs have been academic, white collar, and now, corporate. I live with 5 females, although admittedly 2 are guinea pigs. They gang up on me, the shits.  I hate misogyny, its one of the reasons I find islamic culture distasteful. But at the same time i feel increasingly some feminists verge on being misandrist. I understand why, but obviously i dont feel good about it. 

Suppose i could stop eying up lasses arses but that's hard wired isn't it? :unsure:

There's a line between "aye you're right, she's fit" and "fucking hell that was a bit rapey sounding mate, fucks wrong with you?" that really shouldn't be as fine as most blokes seem to perceive it to be.

• Like 2

Marina Hyde

Certainly, there remains no major or even minor strategy to deal with this culture. We see Priti Patel down at Dover in a HOME SECRETARY coat, announcing action on asylum seekers arriving by boat. We hear Boris Johnson talking about a knife-crime strategy or a chain-gang strategy or an antisocial behaviour strategy. Could they please put their puffer jackets on to announce and follow through on a serious male violence strategy? Can we have a joined-up plan to tackle male violence that starts in primary education and takes an ambitiously holistic approach to a problem that riddles our society with poisons, from child abuse to terrorism?

If not, maybe all the people who fall back on the “one bad apple” defence can have the balls to stop omitting the second half of the saying. One bad apple spoils the barrel. And as any number of women can attest, this barrel is long past putrid.

7 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

There's a line between "aye you're right, she's fit" and "fucking hell that was a bit rapey sounding mate, fucks wrong with you?" that really shouldn't be as fine as most blokes seem to perceive it to be.

Normally takes me 5-6 lines, at least, (on top of the booze), but I suppose we all have different tolerances. 

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 1

Police Scotland at least trying to introduce measures to reassure the public when dealing with lone police officers. Far from perfect but at least a better response than the "advice" issued from the MET.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-58776349

Not mentioned in the article: apparently even off-duty cops without a radio will also be obligated to go through a similar process to commit an arrest. Far from perfect like but miles better than the response from Cressida Dick.