General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

11 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It’s an Atari crocodile, walking to the left, chilled as feck. 

It's the visual lighting system that played along to the music when they were trying to communicate with the mothership in close encounters. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

Day off, getting a new boiler. ( Heating, not divorce). 

Oh the joys. 

Is that wise considering they will be phased out soon? Shouldn't you get one of these heat pump things instead? [I realise its probably not feasible right now, but it does seem to be the future]

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Is that wise considering they will be phased out soon? Shouldn't you get one of these heat pump things instead? [I realise its probably not feasible right now, but it does seem to be the future]

Heat Pump vs Gas Boiler: How do They Compare? | Homebuilding

Is a Heat Pump More Expensive Than a Gas Boiler?
Expect to pay between £8,000 to £16,000 for an air source heat pump installation on a new build property and up to nearly £28,000 on an existing property — that does include upgrading all the radiators and replacing quite a bit of the pipework.

You're looking at around £14,000 to £25,000 for installing a ground source heat pump, and possibly more if you need a large borehole collector. If you happen to have a digger and can dig the horizontal trenches yourself then there could be some good savings to be made on installation.

You can expect a standard combi boiler to cost between £1,000-£2,000 depending on the make and model. Installation will cost approximately another £1,000, making the cost all-in £2,000 to £3,000 for a simple gas boiler replacement. 

Fuck. That.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Mate of mine got a heat pump in September. His October leccy bill was £240. 

Fucking hell! 

Does anyone know anything about these systems? My understanding is they kind of provide you with luke warm warmth all the time, not sure that appeals to me. Also, what about hot water, showers? An electric shower doesn't compare with one from a decent combi boiler imo. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fucking hell! 

Does anyone know anything about these systems? My understanding is they kind of provide you with luke warm warmth all the time, not sure that appeals to me. Also, what about hot water, showers? An electric shower doesn't compare with one from a decent combi boiler imo. 

You have to have an extremely well insulted home or you are just pissing in the wind. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fucking hell! 

From what I can gather this is pretty much the case, and you'll need an electric shower (at least 10Kw) because the heat pump won't even get near providing enough energy for a family.  That's where the monthly £240 leccy bills come from. Also a car charger is 12kW & a normal domestic supply won't wear that & a shower. The whole national grid will have to be upgraded to accommodate the government's green policies. Wondering what source they're going to use as fuel for all this extra electricity we'll be needing?....

Edited by PaddockLad

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

From what I can gather this is pretty much the case, and you'll need an electric shower (at least 10Kw) because the heat pump won't even get near providing enough energy for a family.  That's where the monthly £240 leccy bills come from. Also a car charger is 12kW & a normal domestic supply won't wear that. The whole national grid will have to be upgraded to accommodate the government's green policies. Wondering how what source they're going to use as fuel for all this extra electricity we'll be needing?....

Renewables with a baseload supplied by nuclear would be my guess, but we have seriously fucked up on the latter (not sure where we are with the former). Could really do with someone cracking nuclear fusion sometime very soon.