General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I'm in the lakes this week, Patterdale where I've been going for thr last 30 years. This might be my last year. Here are some examples on what I've spent.

£14 quid for a bus fare to travel approximately 2 miles.

£24 quid for 4 sausage rolls and soft drinks at a NT shop at Aira force.

£24 quid for a single burger which was rank at a hotel. 

£28 quid for 2.soft drinks, a small glass of wine, and a Peroni at a hotel. And the most pathetic chocolate brownies ever for the kids. 

The lodge I'm staying at was £540 for a week. Next year they've put the price up to £860 for the same week. And apart from the exorbitant prices, most places are shut at night anyway because of staff shortages, which probably contributes to the inflation in the places that are open. Fuck this rip off country, I'm going abroad from now on. Yesterday was a write off anyway as it pissed down all day. 

Has anybody really not noticed yet how shit life is becoming under the tories?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Has anybody really not noticed yet how shit life is becoming under the tories?

Indeed. Being a single parent of two kids, one of each gender and living and working in the south, I think my lifestyle is financially compromised more now than it was when I first graduated. That's despite the fact I'm earning 3 times what I did back then. 

I had a discussion with an ignorant Tory who told me I was clearly living outside of my means and excessively spending. No, I'm seriously not. They then suggest I should move to a less affluent area if I couldn't afford where I'm living. That's despite them not knowing where I live and that it's a moderately priced village and importantly, within reasonable distance to my kids, their school / college and my place of work. 

It's horrendous. 

• Like 2

Just now, Craig said:

Indeed. Being a single parent of two kids, one of each gender and living and working in the south, I think my lifestyle is financially compromised more now than it was when I first graduated. That's despite the fact I'm earning 3 times what I did back then. 

I had a discussion with an ignorant Tory who told me I was clearly living outside of my means and excessively spending. No, I'm seriously not. They then suggest I should move to a less affluent area if I couldn't afford where I'm living. That's despite them not knowing where I live and that it's a moderately priced village and importantly, within reasonable distance to my kids, their school / college and my place of work. 

It's horrendous. 

I honestly don't understand how some people can afford to live any kind of life at all. I've basically had to leave the NHS as I couldn't take the pay cuts any more. 12 years real term cuts year after year. I am now paid 30% more than I was this time last year. But I'm taxed to death and with inflation i have less disposable income than I had previously. As a family we're allegedly in the top 5% percentile in the country but now I can't really afford a week in a lodge in the lakes. I've shit loads of equity tied up in the house but what use is that? This winter is going to literally kill a lot of people. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

I honestly don't understand how some people can afford to live any kind of life at all. I've basically had to leave the NHS as I couldn't take the pay cuts any more. 12 years real term cuts year after year. I am now paid 30% more than I was this time last year. But I'm taxed to death and with inflation i have less disposable income than I had previously. As a family we're allegedly in the top 5% percentile in the country but now I can't really afford a week in a lodge in the lakes. I've shit loads of equity tied up in the house but what use is that? This winter is going to literally kill a lot of people. 

I don't even have the equity mate. I'm in the rental market with no hope of ever getting out of it now. And then turds like that idiot tell me just to move. Oh aye, cos it's that easy. 

What is utterly depressing is my life will be like this until my old man passes and that breaks me inside. Not that the fucking Tories give a shit. As you are better placed than most to judge, I'd rather enjoy my life WITH pops, not wait until he's no longer here :sad:

18 minutes ago, Craig said:

I don't even have the equity mate. I'm in the rental market with no hope of ever getting out of it now. And then turds like that idiot tell me just to move. Oh aye, cos it's that easy. 

What is utterly depressing is my life will be like this until my old man passes and that breaks me inside. Not that the fucking Tories give a shit. As you are better placed than most to judge, I'd rather enjoy my life WITH pops, not wait until he's no longer here :sad:

That's shit mate, I feel your pain. I'll not lie, when/if my mum passes ill probably have enough funds to retire or at least go part time. Horrendous even thinking about it though. I miss my Dad more than I thought was possible, every day its like a knife in me.

Oh well. Off to Keswick now. Another tenner just to get parked if I can find a space. Fancy swimming but the council have permanently shut the pool because of lack of funds. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

That's shit mate, I feel your pain. I'll not lie, when/if my mum passes ill probably have enough funds to retire or at least go part time. Horrendous even thinking about it though. I miss my Dad more than I thought was possible, every day its like a knife in me.

Oh well. Off to Keswick now. Another tenner just to get parked if I can find a space. Fancy swimming but the council have permanently shut the pool because of lack of funds. 

Enjoy your day mate. 

• Like 2

Back from Keswick. Parking for 5 hours in a fucking municipal car park was £8.20. Anyway, half the food and drink outlets were shut. A few years back more than half the staff were European. They've all fucked off now. Also haven't heard any European accents from tourists. 

So back in Glen Ridding, there is I think a Serbian bar maid. She's rough as fuck. Just had a monty python type argument about a drinks order. Ffs I know what I wanted and ordered. But rather than accept she's made an honest mistake, she's blew a gasket and got the manager called out for fuck all. She got bollocked and I got complementary drinks. Realise I'm sounding like Hyacinth Bucket now but honestly. Holidays here are now stressful. At least the mountains are eternal, relatively speaking. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Back from Keswick. Parking for 5 hours in a fucking municipal car park was £8.20. Anyway, half the food and drink outlets were shut. A few years back more than half the staff were European. They've all fucked off now. Also haven't heard any European accents from tourists. 

So back in Glen Ridding, there is I think a Serbian bar maid. She's rough as fuck. Just had a monty python type argument about a drinks order. Ffs I know what I wanted and ordered. But rather than accept she's made an honest mistake, she's blew a gasket and got the manager called out for fuck all. She got bollocked and I got complementary drinks. Realise I'm sounding like Hyacinth Bucket now but honestly. Holidays here are now stressful. At least the mountains are eternal, relatively speaking. 

Honestly I would say more Victor Meldrew than Hyacinth Bucket. ;)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Not that I would do it because that would be fucking mental but when I was out walking the dogs earlier I honestly thought I would love to set fire to all that bunting and the flags. What the fuck are you actually celebrating? You dopey fucking cunts. Anyway, enjoy the long weekend, everyone  

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Not that I would do it because that would be fucking mental but when I was out walking the dogs earlier I honestly thought I would love to set fire to all that bunting and the flags. What the fuck are you actually celebrating? You dopey fucking cunts. Anyway, enjoy the long weekend, everyone  

I'm in doing overtime tomorrow. Get a bit extra with it being a BH. Gawd bless ye, your mahjestie, I'll raise a Charlie Chan to you when I get back home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Off to walk around Malham Cove for a bit this morning, cannot be arsed with the jubilee shite so hopefully it’s pretty quiet when I get there. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Wor lass said that he was there with Jeff Buckley. That would have been something considering he’s been dead about 25 year

Ordering stiff drinks ??

• Haha 2