General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I bought an inner tube from my local cycle shop the other week, and it was nearly three times what I paid for the same one a year previously.

I asked the owner why it’d gone up so much and he said. 

“ Fuck off, I’ve heard it.”  

:rimshot:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Would it not be more normal to say [insert person's name here] has had a puncture? :lol:

Aye better than she. 

"WHO'S 'SHE'?! THE CAT'S NON BINARY GUARDIAN?!" 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

The club I ride with has added a 'diversity officer' to its committee. To me I don't see an issue with this. Some have had a moan. But in all honesty up until the last few years the whole committee has been a bunch of middle class white retired men who are boring cunts.

Today the new diversity officer posted about using gender neutral language. Again I'm all for it. The first question was (from a female I shall add) 'so if I was to say' she got a puncture ' how do I do that using gender neutral language?' 

FFS 

I replied 'she got a puncture' 

To which I got a load of shite back. When I tried telling them all you're doing is stating a fact and not trying to say she got a puncture because she is female I got a load more flack. 

We now have to say 'a member got a puncture' 🤣 wokesim at its finest

The word you're looking for is "they"

• Like 1

Aye it's not difficult. Instead of he/she there are gender neutral terms that we already use. They got a puncture, I paid them, it's in their own best interests. 

40 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Aye it's not difficult. Instead of he/she there are gender neutral terms that we already use. They got a puncture, I paid them, it's in their own best interests. 

Why? What's the point in this gender neutral bollocks? I just don't get how any of this is offensive or necessary. I mean ffs, most languages assign "genders" to objects. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Sadly using 'they' as a pronoun is considered positive discrimination in some circles. Utterly ridiculous, I know but here we are.

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

Why? What's the point in this gender neutral bollocks? I just don't get how any of this is offensive or necessary. I mean ffs, most languages assign "genders" to objects. 

And we don't and you've got through life without being upset at the non-gendered table, or chair. So why do you care? What difference does it make to your life if someone prefers one pronoun to another? Or no pronoun at all?

43 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'd ask why not, if it makes one person feel better or one Daily Mail reader angry then it's worthwhile

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

And we don't and you've got through life without being upset at the non-gendered table, or chair. So why do you care? What difference does it make to your life if someone prefers one pronoun to another? Or no pronoun at all?

If someone prefers a certain pronoun then by all means it’s only reasonable to respect their wishes but issuing it as a blanket rule across a whole club which, to my knowledge, doesn’t actually have any transgender members seems a bit ridiculous.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 1

Aye. Where I work they fly the rainbow flag for the whole of Pride month. While I’m fully onboard with it, what I really like is that it annoys all the right people. Edit @spongebob toonpants

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm happy to call anyone whatever they want, no problem, But as ewerk points out, I don't get its use as a blanket term when its not really applicable, it is actually changing how we use the English language. Also just struggling to understand how people find words like her, him, she, his etc. offensive, seems somewhat ridiculous to me when there are clearly real issues with discrimination out there. I mean "She got a puncture" in reference to a woman is innapropriate now, really? 

I think I mentioned once btw that one feminist I knew at University (so like 30 years ago) chastised for me for using the word history, insisting the subject was referred to as "person story". Is this becoming mainstream now? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think I mentioned once btw that one feminist I knew at University (so like 30 years ago) chastised for me for using the word history, insisting the subject was referred to as "person story". Is this becoming mainstream now? ;) 

I’d have slapped her daft. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d have slapped her daft. :lol:

She They was were actually really attractive... except.... of course she they didn't shave her their legs and they were twice as hairy as mine. As for her their pits.....

Edited by Renton

40 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If someone prefers a certain pronoun then by all means it’s only reasonable to respect their wishes but issuing it as a blanket rule across a whole club which, to my knowledge, doesn’t actually have any transgender members seems a bit ridiculous.

By adopting such a harmless thing might make the club more inclusive and attractive to people who'd otherwise be wary?

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm happy to call anyone whatever they want, no problem, But as ewerk points out, I don't get its use as a blanket term when its not really applicable, it is actually changing how we use the English language. Also just struggling to understand how people find words like her, him, she, his etc. offensive, seems somewhat ridiculous to me when there are clearly real issues with discrimination out there. I mean "She got a puncture" in reference to a woman is innapropriate now, really? 

We change how we use language all the time, that old story of the King of England calling St Paul's amusing, awful and artificial. 

I get that you don't see the potential for offence, but perhaps people who have different experiences do. Say someone identifies as a man, but because of their current outward appearance is called she, her and splitarse,  they might indeed find those terms offensive.

fwiw I think Offensive is an overused and unwieldy term for the spectrum of discomfort. It conjures images of pearl clutchers, or the self-righteously indignant, or militant minorities. When in reality it might just be the same level of disquiet I feel when someone calls me David instead of Dave. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

That's not really the problem I have with UK "Diversity" training. 

I just think it's horribly driven by people who have ZERO experience of actually living in a diverse environment, or the cultures or groups that they claim to be protecting.

For me , the question of diversity is fucking easy - DONT LABEL , just ask people.  If you are seeing questions like  "a black woman" or " a chinese man" or "non binary person" whatever fuck label, its already being a problem. The whole point is that peoples cultural , spiritual or sexual backgrounds , don't define their ability to do a job, or 100% influence who they are as a human being.

I'd like to send all of the so called "Diversity" experts to Malaysia, Cayman, Indonesia, Iran etc and feel what it actually means to be on the other side.  (And I mean that like, Malaysia is the biggest Muslim country in the world and its NOT what our media would make out, Kuala Lumpar, was perhaps one of the most tolerant (to other religions) cities that I've lived in, but my wife did cover her shoulders when visiting friends in Mosques etc.

Anyone reading any racism or lack of understanding can fuck right off, in my opinion - I know I'm non judgmental, but think a lot of "diversity" needs to be checked against how much harm it does..

True diversity doesnt have equal opportunities employers, HR training etc. It has an application process where you do NOT put your name, sex, date of birth on and even your home address is only held by the custodian in HR" - Look to Canada on how its done right. Employ people based on ability not meeting "quotas"..

Last thing I want to rant about is the key language of diversity in the UK is to NOTICE race, religion, sexualism - and to TOLERATE it (the word tolerate literally means "To accept or be patient regarding something unpleasant or undesirable to the individual" , or to tolerate something you dont agree with or like).. 
Jaysus!

Edited by scoobos

45 minutes ago, The Fish said:

By adopting such a harmless thing might make the club more inclusive and attractive to people who'd otherwise be wary?

We change how we use language all the time, that old story of the King of England calling St Paul's amusing, awful and artificial. 

I get that you don't see the potential for offence, but perhaps people who have different experiences do. Say someone identifies as a man, but because of their current outward appearance is called she, her and splitarse,  they might indeed find those terms offensive.

fwiw I think Offensive is an overused and unwieldy term for the spectrum of discomfort. It conjures images of pearl clutchers, or the self-righteously indignant, or militant minorities. When in reality it might just be the same level of disquiet I feel when someone calls me David instead of Dave. 

Well this is an education for me. Still not sure I get it. I mean on thos board, we have a belta minge thread, we routinely call women split arses and each other cunts, we even have Monkey's Fist, but I'm not supposed to use gender specific vocabulary which is accurate in 99% of the time I use it and I'm sure offends (even slightly) almost nobody? 

Thing is, this might wind up Daily Mail readers but I think it actually probably alienates a lot of other people to an extent too, myself included. I don't see the need but I know how animated people get about it, so for that reason David, I'm out, you bald cunt. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Should have told her to stop being hysterical, which actually is sexist in its origins ;) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Renton said:

I mean on thos board, we have a belta minge thread, we routinely call women split arses and each other cunts, we even have Monkey's Fist, but I'm not supposed to use gender specific vocabulary which is accurate in 99% of the time I use it and I'm sure offends (even slightly) almost nobody? 

And what a diverse bunch we are :lol:

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

And what a diverse bunch we are :lol:

Well that's a good point. Which does beg the question, should we alter our behaviour to be more welcoming to diverse groups? Or is this a safe haven from the "real" world? And we may be 90% white, male,  middle aged (save a few kids like yourself ;)) and football fans, but i doubt there is a racist, homophobe, or trangenderphobe (?) amongst us. Live and let live but let me use the language I understand.

Also, I might add, I’ve been thinking I actually dislike the use of "they" as a gender neutral alternative as it implies plural and actually reduces the functional precision of the English language. So there's that.