General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

Hell on Earth? No :lol: 

Spent the day in the garden pruning my plums and sticking a ground spike in for our rotary dryer. :lol: 

Then watched Snowden 7/10

Well I was dragged over with the missus and the youngest daughter to get holiday clothes. Went to the changing rooms to try on some t shirts and someone had left an item in there, thought it might have belonged to you, that's all.......

(Hope they didn't have dickies) :lol:

IMG_20220618_111259.jpg

• Haha 10

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Well I was dragged over with the missus and the youngest daughter to get holiday clothes. Went to the changing rooms to try on some t shirts and someone had left an item in there, thought it might have belonged to you, that's all.......

(Hope they didn't have dickies) :lol:

IMG_20220618_111259.jpg

Looking good :lol: 

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, NJS said:

Hasn't everyone known for decades that Kelly Holmes is gay? 

Maybe someone should’ve told her 

• Haha 2

On 17/06/2022 at 13:54, Rayvin said:

I'm not sure I agree on the point about being self interested. I really do think a lot of people only receive messaging on issues like this by "their paper" or relevant TV or YouTube channels. So the message doesn't come through as "Trans people have daily struggles reconciling their identifies with their lived experience and this is the cause of significant stress and turmoil within their lives, leading to high rates of suicide and mental health problems. We hope that by creating awareness of these issues and encouraging people to talk to and interact with the trans community, we can create a better society for everyone". They come through as "trans people demand that you use these words when talking to them and you face the sack if you refuse! Another example of free speech being curtailed and sacrificed at the altar of wokeness. Next they're coming for Christmas, 'real' women, and your very manhood!!"

And I really do think that this messaging issue can be attributed to a reasonable enough size of right wing voters so as to deliver majorities to people like Trump and Johnson. I don't think they're any more or less self interested than you or I, they are just only getting information filtered to them by bigots - and they've had it for so long they just think it's normal.

Something like 85% of the country believes the NHS should be free to all - yet 40% vote for a government that is systematically privatising it. 90% profess to be happy to live next to immigrant families, yet 52% voted for brexit to keep out immigrants.

If you survey people policy by policy in this country, instead of by party, the Tories get 12% of the vote. The difference between that number and the one we see is media bullshit and narrative pushing, IMO.

Most people are decent, just woefully uninformed and stubbornly sticking to it. This means messaging from the left really does matter.

In my view at least.

Respectfully, I disagree. I think that there are people who are, at their core, motivated by what is in their interests first and foremost. They're the heroes of the story, they 'deserve' money, respect, freedom. This means they'll willingly accept any story that paints them as the good guys and the 'other' as a threat. They'll willingly accept a political party that feeds their ego with stories like ' Immigrants are taking your jobs', 'Liberal elites think you're stupid and racist' and 'They will have you jailed for saying you're English.'

I have an issue with your stats, who's being polled? 85% of the people who answered the survey may well believe that the NHS should be free for everyone. But what's the number for those that voted? It also speaks to the pressure you feel when filling in a survey to appear virtuous, much moreso than the equally anonymous but ultimately more consequential act of voting. 

I do believe that a decent number of people the world over, likely a majority, are self-centered. There may be a sliding scale of it, but ultimately they're in it for themselves. 

And everything I've seen politically over the past decade backs that up, in my eyes.

• Like 1

Belieiving the NHS should be free fro everyone is consistent with people being selfish, because its in their self interest. You only have to look at the US to realise in a privatised system only the super rich benefit, far beyond the top 15 percentile. And even then a lot of that 85% will resent "foreigners" using it, or people will drug, alcohol, obesity, or tobacco issues. 

I think all of us are motivated for selfish reasons. I want a fairer society because I think that will be a better place for ME and my family to live in. That's worth more to me than keeping my tax money. I don't want to step over the homeless on the way to my local Coop, I don't want the hell of antisocial behaviour on the metro bought on by nihilism as a consequence of hopelessness and lack or education, I don't want myself to decide which charity to donate to. I want the government to do it, and I'm willing to pay for it. Not this government though, the fucking cunts. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Belieiving the NHS should be free fro everyone is consistent with people being selfish, because its in their self interest. You only have to look at the US to realise in a privatised system only the super rich benefit, far beyond the top 15 percentile. And even then a lot of that 85% will resent "foreigners" using it, or people will drug, alcohol, obesity, or tobacco issues. 

I think all of us are motivated for selfish reasons. I want a fairer society because I think that will be a better place for ME and my family to live in. That's worth more to me than keeping my tax money. I don't want to step over the homeless on the way to my local Coop, I don't want the hell of antisocial behaviour on the metro bought on by nihilism as a consequence of hopelessness and lack or education, I don't want myself to decide which charity to donate to. I want the government to do it, and I'm willing to pay for it. Not this government though, the fucking cunts. 

The end of your penultimate sentence says it all though mate. You're willing to pay for it. The ones I'm talking about want someone else to pay for it. They don't want to end homelessness by providing for the homeless, they want the homeless people moved on or locked up. They would baulk at paying more for the NHS than they do, they want diversity officers and the like fired so they pay less. They don't want provisions made for the youth of today to keep them engaged and out of trouble, they want them locked up and moved on. They think the answer to reducing crime is more crime fighting, not crime prevention.

They'd look at the high taxes in the Scandi countries and think the people are being robbed by the government,  completely oblivious to the high standard of living that it provides. 

They're also convinced that their opinion is as valid as evidenced arguments.

In that spirit, I think the answer would be found in education, in community engagement and pluralism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

The end of your penultimate sentence says it all though mate. You're willing to pay for it. The ones I'm talking about want someone else to pay for it. They don't want to end homelessness by providing for the homeless, they want the homeless people moved on or locked up. They would baulk at paying more for the NHS than they do, they want diversity officers and the like fired so they pay less. They don't want provisions made for the youth of today to keep them engaged and out of trouble, they want them locked up and moved on. They think the answer to reducing crime is more crime fighting, not crime prevention.

They'd look at the high taxes in the Scandi countries and think the people are being robbed by the government,  completely oblivious to the high standard of living that it provides. 

They're also convinced that their opinion is as valid as evidenced arguments.

In that spirit, I think the answer would be found in education, in community engagement and pluralism.

Some people, sure. Either because they are bone fide cunts or just brainwashed by the Mail etc usually. But let's not foget, the tories only ever get a modal majority, they have never achieved over 50% of those people who vote. Most people vote for progressive parties, but because of FPTP which we have discussed in detail before, they are not represented. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Some people, sure. Either because they are bone fide cunts or just brainwashed by the Mail etc usually. But let's not foget, the tories only ever get a modal majority, they have never achieved over 50% of those people who vote. Most people vote for progressive parties, but because of FPTP which we have discussed in detail before, they are not represented. 

Why won't you let me enjoy my contempt?

• Haha 1

Fill your boots. The very rich retired couple opposite me are lovely, really nice people, always asking how I am, used to ask after my Dad, sent flowers and cards etc, great with the kids. Nicer than me tbh, I can't be arsed with neighbourly relations. Most the street are like them. They read the fucking Express and I'm 99% sure they vote tory. What can you do? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Fill your boots. The very rich retired couple opposite me are lovely, really nice people, always asking how I am, used to ask after my Dad, sent flowers and cards etc, great with the kids. Nicer than me tbh, I can't be arsed with neighbourly relations. Most the street are like them. They read the fucking Express and I'm 99% sure they vote tory. What can you do? 

Dignitas?

1 hour ago, Renton said:

This is the thing. Most people, bizarrely, are pretty decent human beings. They're just fucking idiots. The day the right wing media monopoly comes down is the day this country shines IMO.

• Like 1

I strongly believe that Thatcher fucking the unions, and making trades become contractors, has had a huge influence in the “fuck you, I’m alright Jack” society we now have. 
Whereas with strong unions, the concept of strength through togetherness and looking out for everyone was front and centre in the minds of the vast majority of working people, now you have multiple small businesses trying to fuck each other over to win the contract, the result being a whole generation of working class Tories. 

It’s fucked up how many blokes I worked with who were “nice, decent, working blokes” who wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire if they could make a fast buck from it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Renton said:

They must have a nice handwriting… 😉 

I liked a bit of Madness back in the day, but fuck me. Just caught a bit of their insipid, phoned-in ‘performance’ in front of a crowd with all the enthusiasm of a plague of zombies at the Isle of Wight Festival. Suggs never really sang anyway but now he looks like talking might be a problem. The perfect analogy for Britain in 2022. 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 1

How much can youse get away with tossing it off at work and how much do you do it?

I basically created my own roles as it is now, so nobody except my boss knows the specifics of what I do and he seems happy as a pig in shit and doing even less than me tbh. This week so far I have sent 3 emails and read through some things while sat in the garden for work.

I used to feel guilt for stuff like this but since my dad died I’ve not given a fuck, the essential work gets done to the same level it was previously but the above and beyond bits can wait until I fancy doing them, if ever.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, strawb said:

How much can youse get away with tossing it off at work and how much do you do it?

I basically created my own roles as it is now, so nobody except my boss knows the specifics of what I do and he seems happy as a pig in shit and doing even less than me tbh. This week so far I have sent 3 emails and read through some things while sat in the garden for work.

I used to feel guilt for stuff like this but since my dad died I’ve not given a fuck, the essential work gets done to the same level it was previously but the above and beyond bits can wait until I fancy doing them, if ever.

I watched 7 hours of series 2 of The Boys whilst wfh yesterday

• Like 1
  • Haha 5