General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

49 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Won't matter til the winter but 8% off your heating bill is not to be sniffed at, especially now. I've seen up to 15% quoted for the saving from this too so that might be at the lower end. YOU'RE WELCOME. 

Nice advice.

Just checked mine (Worcester 2 years old) and it’s already set to Eco 54 degrees.

Mine's an Ideal which gets mentioned on the video and they show it set to lower than eco (around halfway) so gonna try that. I know it pumps out crazy amounts from the flue which would suggest it can be turned down a canny bit yet. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Mine's an Ideal which gets mentioned on the video and they show it set to lower than eco (around halfway) so gonna try that. I know it pumps out crazy amounts from the flue which would suggest it can be turned down a canny bit yet. 

Gemmill in emitting vast quantities of hot air shocker !!

Mine already at 60, trying 55, cheers for the link

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

finally, the sunlit uplands 

What a heap of alarmist shite, aye they’re not great but up until late 70’s just about every pipe in every house was lead right up to tap connection.

8 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

What a heap of alarmist shite, aye they’re not great but up until late 70’s just about every pipe in every house was lead right up to tap connection.

You’re right, of course - lead piping would have resulted in the British behaving erratically and making irrational decisions  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

You’re right, of course - lead piping would have resulted in the British behaving erratically and making irrational decisions  

Seems the opposite, joined the common market on the back of lead piping, all piping removed and now we have the mega-shitshow

28 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Anyone tried with preheat turned off?

Doesn't it take ages for the tap to get warm?

I turned my mam's off yesterday so I'll let you know if she fucking moans about it. :lol:

I've got a water cylinder so I don't think I'm supposed to be doing any of this flow temperature shit cos the water in the cylinder has to hit 60 degrees to kill off any legionella which apparently loves water tanks.

But I've turned the flow down and am just checking the water comes out the tap at at least 60 degrees. I have to assume that means it's at least that hot in the tank. 

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I turned my mam's off yesterday so I'll let you know if she fucking moans about it. :lol:

I've got a water cylinder so I don't think I'm supposed to be doing any of this flow temperature shit cos the water in the cylinder has to hit 60 degrees to kill off any legionella which apparently loves water tanks.

But I've turned the flow down and am just checking the water comes out the tap at at least 60 degrees. I have to assume that means it's at least that hot in the tank. 

If you properly want to prevent Legionella your mums cold water needs to be below 20 degrees C after running for 90 seconds too . Which is often impossible in summer months. So now if she is unfortunate enough to get it it’s on you :cuppa:

• Haha 2

It's me that needs to worry about legionella. My mam doesn't have the water cylinder. It's me. OMG. Do you not read my fucking posts properly or WHAT?! 

Seeing as you seem to know what you're on about (on this occasion) is the 60 degrees thing an absolute must or can I let it drop below that? 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's me that needs to worry about legionella. My mam doesn't have the water cylinder. It's me. OMG. Do you not read my fucking posts properly or WHAT?! 

Seeing as you seem to know what you're on about (on this occasion) is the 60 degrees thing an absolute must or can I let it drop below that? 

You know it all, you tell me. :cuppa:

/PaddockLad

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Normal domestic/commercial HW temp  must be >50 after 30 seconds, the time is an important factor in both HW & CW measurements . You’ll need to run your main cold tap (usually kitchen sink) daily in the summer to get it below 20. Also soak shower heads monthly in cleaning solution . And don’t use tap diffusers. 

There. I’ve saved your life. Not expecting any thanks so don’t worry about it petal :huff:

I mean fuck all that shit about 20 degrees, I can't control how cold the water comes out of the taps so I'm not gonna worry about that. 

My QUESTION (which you have manifestly failed to answer) was whether heating the water to 60 degrees is an absolute must. 

Are you saying that, as long as it comes out the taps > 50 then I'm in the clear? Which would mean that it doesn't actually need to be 60 in the tank. 

At this stage I'm starting to worry that I'm asking the wrong man tbpfh. 

• Haha 2

👍Cheers. The only way I can be certain that that's happening is to have it coming out the tap at 60. Which means I'm probably overheating the cylinder but what's a brother to do. 

I might get up in the cupboard upstairs when the water's heating, fiddle with the thermostat on the side of the tank, and listen for the point where it's clicking on and off. That'll tell me the tank temperature. Let me know if you want me to livestream this.