General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Using this as a blog now! Still here. They put me on the biggest drip ever last night trying to get my potassium levels up. Find out the results later. Feeling physically better but mentally worse. Seeing a mental health nurse later. Mum has agreed to put me up for 2 nights. Then will talk to the wife. Everyone in my street knows now of my alcoholism, which doesn't bother me but my wife hates it.

Now begins the long road to repairing the damage I did. Through a 5 day binge. Unreal really what this drug can do to you if you can't control it. 

• Like 12

There's absolutely no shame in others knowing your situation. If anything, the more that know so that they are able to offer you support, the better. Strength in numbers and all that. 

Keep your spirits up mate, you're doing really well.

• Like 7

Echo what everyone else is saying Renton, you should be really proud of your honesty. Honesty to strangers on the internet, with family and professionals, but especially with yourself. You see there's a problem, you see the steps you need to take to address it and you see it's within your power to do it. That's very brave and that shouldn't be dismissed or downplayed.

It's not the same, but I'm open about my depression and anxiety issues,  if nothing else it means people don't make light of those issues around me. I guess if people know about your alcoholism they're less likely to pressure you into having one, or make light of the subject around you? It's also better understood now, and there's less of a stigma around it because of that understanding.

It might seem odd, but I think your tone has changed on here since telling us, I might be wrong but I now see hope in the words you put on the screen. I see someone who sees a way out of the hole and is going to reach for it.

There's a reason everyone on here is offering support and whatnot, you're a good bloke who's been through the fucking ringer and you've earned a bit of help.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Renton said:

So I am facing the rest of my life without an alcoholic drink. Knowing the other option, I can do this. Presumably it gets easier over time, a year or so?

I can't say how it'll be for you or what the timeframe will be, but I found it went hand in hand with seeing the improvements to my life from not drinking. Positive reinforcement, if you like. So it's not "I will have a non-alcoholic drink because I've persuaded myself I don't like alcohol any more" - that second part is unrealistic for most people anyway - but more "I will have a non-alcoholic drink because look at how much better a person I am when I don't let alcohol continuously fuck things up for me".

That requires you to do the things you're doing now - looking ahead, wanting to fix things, being honest and open with yourself and others. Keep doing that and the rest will start falling into place over time, even if it'll undoubtedly be tough for a while, because that's how it is with all learned behaviours (let alone the ones that involve addictive substances). There'll be ups and downs, but keep talking your way through the downs (including on here) and internalising how good the ups feel so that you want to keep striving for them. For all recovery has its challenges, it can also feel like a huge weight off your shoulders, and I hope you find yourself feeling that in due course.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Show a bit of tact, Craig!

(sorry :lol: )

Almost as bad as when I said we should sign Eriksen in a heartbeat! :doh: :lol:

Sorry...

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Being discharged. Time to face the music. Which will be a full orchestra. 

Best of luck mate, and everything will be fine. They are people who love you, don't lose sight of that. And anything they say or do will come from a position of wanting to help - even if it doesn't feel like it is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Being discharged. Time to face the music. Which will be a full orchestra. 

Remember that this is a complicated illness, not simply a weakness. Don’t be too harsh on yourself.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Drove my first artic wagon today. 

Didn’t kill anyone or crash, so that’s a good start :lol:

Does this include reversing the fucker? :lol:

Iirc we buy very little gas from Russia and France has seen a 4% rise after the government intervened. Meanwhile the energy companies post massive profits. Labour’s fault 

• Like 2

I had some Tory cunt the other day tell me to stop moaning about BP's profits as they largely fund my pension scheme. He short shut his fucking trap when I pointed out my pension won't be much use to me if I cannot afford to feed myself now.

Wanker.

• Like 3

On 06/08/2022 at 03:07, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Like I said last time, the fact that you’re aware enough to know you need help is a lot more than a lot of people. Hang in there, keep talking, keep checking in, you’ll get through it

Absolutely this. Someone very close to me went through a ton of issues recently and was down a lot for it. They always knew to call for help when they needed it most and it's what got them through in the end. Must take an incredible amount of strength, and you have it too @Renton from what I'm reading. Keep close to your family and mates, one day at a time will do it. Hope to see you keep posting on here as well. Dont frequent these areas of the board too much myself but you arent likely to see pics of grassed up bins anywhere else :lol: 

• Like 10