General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Two things for me. She goes out to the garden to water and then why did you leave the hose on and I just bought a bottle of scotch and I do not remember finishing it.  

I got it babe, the water is turned off and I will talk to both of our neighbors about the missing alcohol.

Hiccup!

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I feel your pain fishy. My personal favourite is when she goes out and leaves the TV on.

Gemmil's probably got a good divorce attorney, or at least the name of one to avoid?

My bowels are so explosive and produce gases that could be deployed in Ukraine so I accept I have to use the toilet under the stairs, which has no window so is pitch black when unlit. EVERY time one of the little shits turns out the light when I'm in there. As this is one of the few things they are happily complicit together doing, I can never attribute blame specifically to one of them, which is their get out clause. One day my time will come though. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Every few days I hide Mrs. F’s toothbrush somewhere in the bathroom. 

It’s the little things that make a marriage. 

monty python wink GIF

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

My bowels are so explosive and produce gases that could be deployed in Ukraine so I accept I have to use the toilet under the stairs, which has no window so is pitch black when unlit. EVERY time one of the little shits turns out the light when I'm in there. As this is one of the few things they are happily complicit together doing, I can never attribute blame specifically to one of them, which is their get out clause. One day my time will come though. 

Two words;

Smart. Bulb.

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

accept I have to use the toilet under the stairs

I now picture you as Martin Goodman, bumbling about the house with your shirt off because “it’s boiling!”, and coming out with gems of wisdom. :lol:

4e8359d18d9bb633aa4bc581500d556f58ba5ec6

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I now picture you as Martin Goodman, bumbling about the house with your shirt off because “it’s boiling!”, and coming out with gems of wisdom. :lol:

4e8359d18d9bb633aa4bc581500d556f58ba5ec6

I didn't but do now as well :smile:

12 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Yvon Chouinard, the owner of the Patagonia company, inventor of climbing kit and all round top chap, has given the company away. 

Patagonia: Billionaire boss gives fashion firm away to fight climate change https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62906853

His company has always been good at sustainability.  The gear they sell is expensive but I have some of it because I know it's not made in sweat shops etc.

• Like 1

As someone on the outside looking in, can I get a summary of the general reasons for the opposition some (most?) have toward the singing of the British national anthem?

I've watched a fair bit of cricket, etc., and even English football and never noticed this sentiment previously. Although, quite obviously, I'm a bit of a daft prick so a lot goes past without me recognising anything at all.

36 minutes ago, toonotl said:

As someone on the outside looking in, can I get a summary of the general reasons for the opposition some (most?) have toward the singing of the British national anthem?

I've watched a fair bit of cricket, etc., and even English football and never noticed this sentiment previously. Although, quite obviously, I'm a bit of a daft prick so a lot goes past without me recognising anything at all.

Can only speak for myself - The lyrics put forward the notion that one individual is somehow worth more than the rest of us, puts them on a pedestal that I don't think any human being should be on. To sing for the salvation of that individual over and above the rest of the British people is repellent to me. It feels like I would be suppressing the relative important of myself and those I care about to sing this, and therefore acknowledge this inequality of value.

The royals are worth no more to me than the the homeless man on the street - and no one is pushing me to sing for his salvation, so they can fuck off for the royals too.

This isn't new for me though, I've resisted singing it for years.

• Like 3

Yeah. Cool. Fair enough too. Its not really something that seems to come up too much in Australia. Just the odd discussion every now and again about a referendum to become a republic. But I can definitely support the sentiment. They are very much pointless and parasitic (as well as paedophiliac while we're on the theme of "P"). Not to mention incredibly antiquated. 

Is this a sentiment about the royal family that's stronger in the North-East or a nationwide/British Isles wide thing?

Edited by toonotl

25 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Yeah. Cool. Fair enough too. Its not really something that seems to come up too much in Australia. Just the odd discussion every now and again about a referendum to become a republic. But I can definitely support the sentiment. They are very much pointless and parasitic (as well as paedophiliac while we're on the theme of "P"). Not to mention incredibly antiquated. 

Is this a sentiment about the royal family that's stronger in the North-East or a nationwide/British Isles wide thing?

There's also a verse about crushing rebellious Scots. Also it is a complete dirge. 

As to antipathy to it, I suspect that as a broad rule the further north you go, the greater the dislike. Also there are some pockets that are more negative, like Liverpool and parts of Glasgow and Belfast, obviously linked to sectarianism. This is not an anthem that unites the nation and mainly for the reasons @Rayvin saya I will never sing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m atheist and a republican, so even just the title makes my fucking teeth itch. 
As Renton said, the lyrics in the first verse are shit, the lyrics in the rarely heard second verse are repellent. 
The whole thing is an exercise in misery. 

It’d be far better if we had an instrumental national anthem, like this or, if we must have lyrics, this.

The below anthem is a Borat piss take, but you know what, it's better than ours. At least the anthem is about the country and its people, not about one fucking single person arbitrarily selected to "rule" over it. And potassium is an important industrial chemical.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

Had a drive over to near Keswick today and parked at the forestry commission place at Dodd Wood. From there I did Dodd > Carl Side > Long Side > Ullock Pike. Then stopped off on the way back and did High Rigg. Fucking lovely. I was going to go tomorrow but I thought the fells might be too sad 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7