General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I do know someone who used someone local to Blyth recently (after an eye-watering quote just for a diagnostic from VW). I’ll see if they were any good and try and get a name

Cheers Man I got it sorted in the end!  :) 

Is this really racism? Obviously the black lady is trying to make the point that the woman from the palace wouldn’t have asked the question of a white woman but at the same time she knew from the very beginning that she was asking her what her heritage was and was deliberately playing dumb.

Nah, I worked with a black lad from Deptford who was born here who said for him the most annoying racist thing he has to put up with day to day is people asking him where he's from - "yes, but really, where are you from?" - people thinking they're being polite and missing by a fucking mile. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Is this really racism? Obviously the black lady is trying to make the point that the woman from the palace wouldn’t have asked the question of a white woman but at the same time she knew from the very beginning that she was asking her what her heritage was and was deliberately playing dumb.

:lol:

Of course its racist man. What business is it of that old bat what her heritage is? Why does it matter? What were her motives? I don't need Markle to tell me that the royal family, the aristocracy, and all their hangers on are absolute racist cunts who look down on anyone who is not like them. They'll despise you because you're an Irish pleb. That may or may not be racist, but that's what they'll think anyway.

Usually they try and hide it but when they get to a certain age they some just don't give a fuck any more. Some of the shit Phillip cane out with in his senior years just reflected what he really thought. And I doubt the Queen disagreed in private. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Renton said:

:lol:

Of course its racist man. What business is it of that old bat what her heritage is? Why does it matter? What were her motives? I don't need Markle to tell me that the royal family, the aristocracy, and all their hangers on are absolute racist cunts who look down on anyone who is not like them. They'll despise you because you're an Irish pleb. That may or may not be racist, but that's what they'll think anyway.

Usually they try and hide it but when they get to a certain age they some just don't give a fuck any more. Some of the shit Phillip cane out with in his senior years just reflected what he really thought. And I doubt the Queen disagreed in private. 

I'm not arguing that it can't be perceived as racist but we're talking about an 82 year old woman who was simply asking about the other woman's heritage in a ham fisted manner while the other woman was being deliberately obtuse about it, it wasn't Phil the Greek levels of racism. And I've no doubt they're absolutely classist and I'm sure they'd look down on you with your regional accent almost as much as they would me.

While I agree the transcript suggests she knew exactly where she was leading the conversation, think about how many times she must have had to engage in similar levels of fuckwitted discussion in her life to date, even when no malice was actively intended. It must get a tiny bit tiring after a while.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm not arguing that it can't be perceived as racist but we're talking about an 82 year old woman who was simply asking about the other woman's heritage in a ham fisted manner while the other woman was being deliberately obtuse about it, it wasn't Phil the Greek levels of racism. And I've no doubt they're absolutely classist and I'm sure they'd look down on you with your regional accent almost as much as they would me.

I think the direction of conversation even for an 82 year old toff was pretty shocking and I don't think the lass was at all evasive after reading the transcript. She clearly stated she was a British national of African ethnicity, what more was she supposed to say? Is this somehow her fault? 

My wife started her career as a barrister so I had the dubious opportunity to mix with some representatives of the aristocracy at the Inns of Court. I remember one old woman being particularly demeaning about me being from Newcarsle. It led her onto this ridiculous anecdote where she said that one day she had the misfortune to have to travel to the city by train, and whilst the train was leaving Kings Cross she realised she had forgotten something. A quick word in the conductor's ear and the train was stopped and reversed, causing an hours delay to everyone on board. She thought this was hilarious,. Fuck knows if it was true or not but summed up their unbearable superiority complex and their disdain for normal people. Honestly, I detest them.  

ANyway, the bint has resigned now so at least that means its not openly acceptable any more. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

While I agree the transcript suggests she knew exactly where she was leading the conversation, think about how many times she must have had to engage in similar levels of fuckwitted discussion in her life to date, even when no malice was actively intended. It must get a tiny bit tiring after a while.

I totally understand why people can rightly be offended when asked where they’re “really” from and obviously tone is everything but you can imagine outrage in the other direction if the old woman gave off the air that all African nations were the same and of no interest.

19 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

I totally understand why people can rightly be offended when asked where they’re “really” from and obviously tone is everything but you can imagine outrage in the other direction if the old woman gave off the air that all African nations were the same and of no interest.

Eh?

24 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

:lol: That would be equally racist, not the binary opposite of what happened. Incidentally, which part of Wearside are you from (originally)?  

• Haha 7

Fairly sure I’ve asked a few people from non white ethnicities where their folks had come from without any problems. I don’t think I’ve done it straight away though, I’ve established some form of rapport with them first. This upper class harridan probably isn’t used to anyone not giving her the answer she wants straight away. Big line in the sand drawn now from the palace & the PoW… if you’re an ignorant twat you’re out. Given H & M’s allegations it’s not a surprise really…

• Like 1

Just now, Ginolaandtonic said:

You know exactly the point I’m making.

People are allowed to ask questions without the assumption being that the only possible motive is racism.

People are allowed to ask questions, yes, just as I'm allowed to make inferences about their attitudes based on what they ask and how. And I genuinely don't think it should be normal for someone to ask where someone's from, get several replies that answer their question perfectly well - from "Hackney" through to "I am born here and am British" - and still keep asking questions like "where do you really come from?" and "when did you first come here?". Even if it's not done with malicious intent, it's definitely fucking weird. :lol:  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Meenzer said:

People are allowed to ask questions, yes, just as I'm allowed to make inferences about their attitudes based on what they ask and how. And I genuinely don't think it should be normal for someone to ask where someone's from, get several replies that answer their question perfectly well - from "Hackney" through to "I am born here and am British" - and still keep asking questions like "where do you really come from?" and "when did you first come here?". Even if it's not done with malicious intent, it's definitely fucking weird. :lol:  

Give him a break, he’s just nervous about Africa … marra. 

7 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Indeed, grilling someone where they’re “really from” is guaranteed to make them feel uncomfortable and like they don’t belong, and given the interrogation was based on her ethnicity, I’d say that was absolutely racist.

And bad manners, tut tut tut daaaaaahling.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Saying shite like that is just a back-up plan for attention now that he hasn’t produced anything decent, ever, how the fuck he has so much money is unbelievable.

FYP

• Like 2