General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Thing is, if I genuinely believed the World was ending in 2012 It would have a pretty radical effect on my behaviour. :lol: I mean, I'd either plunge into a catatonic depression or I would end up with a prolapse from too many champagne enemas. And then I'd reevaluate my belief systems follwoing the corrective surgery when the prophecy turned out not to come true, and stay away from batshit conspiracy theories from then on. But no, these people need the whole set once they go down the rabbit hole. It's frightening how susceptible they are to people like Rogan Josh.  

I can never make my mind up about these grifters, exactly how many are true believers, how many are just chasing money (that’s definitely Piers Morgan. I’ve no doubt about that ) and how many are somewhere in the middle… 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

Thing is, if I genuinely believed the World was ending in 2012 It would have a pretty radical effect on my behaviour. :lol: I mean, I'd either plunge into a catatonic depression or I would end up with a prolapse from too many champagne enemas. And then I'd reevaluate my belief systems follwoing the corrective surgery when the prophecy turned out not to come true, and stay away from batshit conspiracy theories from then on. But no, these people need the whole set once they go down the rabbit hole. It's frightening how susceptible they are to people like Rogan Josh.  

Aye, that’s a good point. He’s fully bought into this now. Yet at the same time he’s not too fussed about how the world’s human population will see have decreased by 90% in a mere two years time and is just going about his day to day life as normal. I mean - how the fuck does that work? :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, that’s a good point. He’s fully bought into this now. Yet at the same time he’s not too fussed about how the world’s human population will see have decreased by 90% in a mere two years time and is just going about his day to day life as normal. I mean - how the fuck does that work? :lol: 

I think like a lot of things people just decompartmentalise their minds which allows them to function. It's like religion. I have known some genius physicists, far more intelligent than me by almost every metric, yet they believe in Jesus and Jehovah. Quite how you can have such insight into the grandeur and scale of the observable Universe and still believe in a tribal Miiddle Eastern religion, that has its origin 6000 years agoo at most, and believe that the son of God was born from a virgin 2000 years ago but he was also his father as well as being a ghost, and committed suicide to save us from our sins which were due to a woman who bit an apple after conversing with a talking snake is beyond me. But they can't see the contradiction here, and worse, for me, is they can't fully appreciate just how wondrous nature is without this supernatual bullshit imposed on top. 

Anyway, although most scientists are not christians, a sizable minority are (or muslims etc). I've long stopped trying to understand their mindset at this point, as long as its benign, I don't really care too much. But the problem is, the latest anti-science popularism really isn't benign. I'm fucked if I know how to handle it though. You can ignore it, but it doesn't go away, it gets worse. But these people are impervious to reason so education just doesn't work either. What are you supposed to do? 

I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Renton said:

My wife has "lost" her best mate to this. Well they are still friends but nowhere near as close as they were and I am not comfortable with her looking after the kids now tbh. I mean if she just kept her batshit opinions to herself it would be okay but they can't help evangelising can they? Which isn't great when I am now working at quite a high level on a number of vaccines for places like the CDC, cos frankly I'd have to be "in on it". 

The missus and an old 'mate' (who wasn't on the scene when we were first seeing each other) came on the scene in the mid 2000s, there was two of them and wor lass, one of them was married to an ex-army, worked in the army as a nurse then divorced and married another ex-army. She's was a fucking nurse and relies on the NHS as she has a daughter with a disability and her husband is a borderline suicide job. If anyone would want to have the Tories out of power and protecting the NHS it should be her. No. Total Brexit nuts, anti-woke, Corbyn/Labour is Hezbollah, etc, etc. Stopped talking to wor lass as she would challenge her on Facebook, sometimes correcting her husband who is a thick Yorkshire cunt who correcting would've been like taking candy from a baby. Now the mate in middle pops round once or twice a year but can't mention it to Eva Braun and is more tactful round her but is far, far closer to wor lasses thinking but is scared to say anything. I would add that the missus despite having zero interest in politics previously became a labour member and is full on Corbyn so admittedly it was like immovable object meets unstoppable force but, aye, the lass is GB-rainwashed.

• Like 2

:lol:

Nearly 2 more years of the tories now blatantly trolling us. What a country. 

Edit: oops, wrong thread. He's referring to the Lee Anderson appointment if there was any doubt. 

Edited by Renton

I'd want to get to the bottom of the 'why'. Get a few of these people in a room and spend fucking hours getting to the bottom of it. I'd bet it's got fuck all to do with logic, reason or research, and everything to do with their own insecurities, disillusionment and an aversion to responsibility. The trouble is that the people who believe some of this shit don't want to discuss it beyond the regurgitation of the soundbites they've heard/read/watched in the process of 'doing their own research'. 

You seen the Good Liars? They go to Trump rallies and similar. The blank stares and aggression their pretty harmless questions are met with are works of art. 

38 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd want to get to the bottom of the 'why'. Get a few of these people in a room and spend fucking hours getting to the bottom of it. I'd bet it's got fuck all to do with logic, reason or research, and everything to do with their own insecurities, disillusionment and an aversion to responsibility. The trouble is that the people who believe some of this shit don't want to discuss it beyond the regurgitation of the soundbites they've heard/read/watched in the process of 'doing their own research'. 

You seen the Good Liars? They go to Trump rallies and similar. The blank stares and aggression their pretty harmless questions are met with are works of art. 

As I said earlier I think there are fortunes to be made in lying to people . Not sure there are that many “true believers” at the top. Trump is a racist as are most others but the real skill is exploiting and triggering millions of gullible idiots. That’s where the pay dirt/route to power is. They’re psychopaths to a man/woman, they have no concern about how what they’re saying will affect those they target.   And it’s a planned world wide campaign to get white collar gangsters into positions of power where they can start dismantling democratic protections to the benefit of an elite crime class. Do I sound like a conspiracy theorist? :D 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

As I said earlier I think there are fortunes to be made in lying to people . Not sure there are that many “true believers” at the top. Trump is a racist as are most others but the real skill is exploiting and triggering millions of gullible idiots. That’s where the pay dirt/route to power is. They’re psychopaths to a man/woman, they have no concern about how what they’re saying will affect those they target.   And it’s a planned world wide campaign to get white collar gangsters into positions of power where they can start dismantling democratic protections to the benefit of an elite crime class. Do I sound like a conspiracy theorist? :D 

Oh I get why people at the top exploit the easily exploitable, but I want to get to the bottom of why people are so eager to believe this shit. 

Forget about Aliens and apocalypse cults. I'm talking about Pizzagate, and JFK Jr, and body doubles and all that. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Oh I get why people at the top exploit the easily exploitable, but I want to get to the bottom of why people are so eager to believe this shit. 

Forget about Aliens and apocalypse cults. I'm talking about Pizzagate, and JFK Jr, and body doubles and all that. 

Go and measure the average Norman castle external wall. 

These people are thicker than that. 

17 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It’s about people who aren’t too clever wanting to feel smarter than the rest of us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ohhh_yeah said:

I just found a friend and co-worker has had a heart attack at 33 and passed away.

Why announce this at the beginning of the day? How am I supposed to continue on and act like this does not affect me?

My condolences, mate. I think I'd personally be raging if they did it the other way and let me work a full shift before casually saying he'd died at the end of it and they knew but there's no real good time to hear that kind of news. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

I just found a friend and co-worker has had a heart attack at 33 and passed away.

Why announce this at the beginning of the day? How am I supposed to continue on and act like this does not affect me?

shit man, sorry to hear that. Absolutely no age

Police drones- just watched one flying at about 200ft over High Heaton, absolutely zipping about, then slowly moving over to Benton area. 

Usage of them by Northumbria Pork is “neither confirmed nor denied”

https://beta.northumbria.police.uk/about-us/publications-and-documents/accessing-information/disclosure-log/other/police-use-of-drones-168921/

8 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Sorry, that's shit.  Condolences

15 hours ago, ewerk said:

It’s about people who aren’t too clever wanting to feel smarter than the rest of us.

But I never got into Conspiracy Theories and that describes me to a T.

14 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Sorry to hear that mate, awful news.