General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I'm on a Samsung S20 BTW and what seems to happen is that it fucks with a bunch of things that are running on the phone.

So the phone will freeze, especially when there's new embedded twitter stuff on a thread and I'll get a bunch of messages popping up saying "Modes and Routines has stopped working", "Chrome has stopped working", etc etc.

Don't know if the others are on Samsung and it's maybe just a Samsung thing or if it's something just across Android 13.

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I'm on a Samsung S20 BTW and what seems to happen is that it fucks with a bunch of things that are running on the phone.

So the phone will freeze, especially when there's new embedded twitter stuff on a thread and I'll get a bunch of messages popping up saying "Modes and Routines has stopped working", "Chrome has stopped working", etc etc.

Don't know if the others are on Samsung and it's maybe just a Samsung thing or if it's something just across Android 13.

I get the Chrome has stopped working one. 

Mine's a Xiaomi 11 ultra. 

How much internal storage have you got left? I worked mobile tech support for a good while and it was pretty common on all brands of phone to see them start doing all sorts of weird shit when you getting low on storage space. 

I think that's down to phones constantly suspending apps that are running in the background, once you have enough apps open to max out your RAM they look to temporarily utilise unused parts of the storage drive as a sort of SWAP space, and if there isn't enough storage for that the apps they'll shit they'll stop responding.

Worth a look. General rule of thumb is to keep at least 20% of storage free.

8 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

How much internal storage have you got left? I worked mobile tech support for a good while and it was pretty common on all brands of phone to see them start doing all sorts of weird shit when you getting low on storage space. 

I think that's down to phones constantly suspending apps that are running in the background, once you have enough apps open to max out your RAM they look to temporarily utilise unused parts of the storage drive as a sort of SWAP space, and if there isn't enough storage for that the apps they'll shit they'll stop responding.

Worth a look. General rule of thumb is to keep at least 20% of storage free.

Plenty space (40%) and free ram. 

It was definitely the android version update for me. 

Aye similar, loads of space left. It's Chrome and specifically this site that's causing problems.

Firefox is fine - embedded twitter posts still take longer than normal to render but no phone freeze or other shit.

Ah well worth a shot. If it's the update that's the cause hopefully get resolved with further patches. I'll used to hang around the XDA developers forums some moons ago, could often be useful for getting answers to this sort of shit (not always solutions, but at least explanations). These days more of a "my phone/laptop is fine and does everything I need it to, fuck being a guinea pig for the new OS if I can avoid it". That said my laptop seriously fucked me over by discretely updating to Windows 11 a week or so ago despite my constant objections to their offer of the "free upgrade". I'm absolutely livid. If I had more time on my hands I be on another short-lived "that's it, I'm boycotting Microsoft" crusade.

There's some posts on the Google Pixel forums about issues on that phone from the end of last year which doesn't breed confidence. They suggest uninstalling chrome which supposedly uninstalls updates rather than actually uninstalling the whole app. I might try that. 

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I actually think Firefox might be a better browser. Being able to move the address bar to the bottom of the screen is a tremendous addition.

Nearly like using an iPhone…

• Haha 4

I've always loved the idea of a motorbike, but almost everyone in my extended family that went into nursing always referred to motorcyclists as "donors" and I'm a big shite-bag so fuck that.

Also have known at least two folk who have been in their car and collided with someone on a motorbike and never driven again. Admittedly one was my 80yo grandfather and the other had passed his test a few days prior and was a massive stoner, but still.