General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Margaritas are fucking great. Caipirinhas too. I'd have either of those over a mojito, but I've got a connect in the WALLSEND grapevine that says HMHM can't make either of those for SHIT.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Renton said:

Doesr anyone really like Mojitos? Really? 

I've been to the motherland of Mojitos, Havana, and just think they are completely meh. Bland as owt. Mind, apparently there's as much evidence for Hemingway being a mojito slurper as there is for Athletic Bilbao being MLFs tbf. Not a fan of tropical cocktails tbh. Sour cocktails and others with a bit of kick are nice though.  

I prefer them to whiskey although it's only once in a blue moon I'll drink one, (only if I'd made one for the missus who likes them). 

18 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Thought I'd treat the missus to my homemade mojito, I don't usually drink it myself even though it's nice as I'm usually already drinking beer when I make it. Had quite a few cans yesterday doing the BBQ which as usual was a ball ache and has been delivered to the byker skip, (I cut my finger cutting a tomato so in this instance salad wasn't good for me). Anyway, I digress, making her a mojito and I'm not drinking beer so have made one for us both plus the eldest who's just come in and it's going down like pop. I'm off tomorrow so things could get messy. 

IMG_20230604_173123.thumb.jpg.a002dc65e711791c80a5f66f7ff191d5.jpg

What rum did you use? If you can remember ;) 

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Margaritas are fucking great. Caipirinhas too. I'd have either of those over a mojito, but I've got a connect in the WALLSEND grapevine that says HMHM can't make either of those for SHIT.

Aye, Margaritas and Caipirinha are lush. Variation on the latter, a Ti Punch (from the French Caribbean) with Rhum Agricole is lush too. 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Doesr anyone really like Mojitos? Really? 

I've been to the motherland of Mojitos, Havana, and just think they are completely meh. Bland as owt. Mind, apparently there's as much evidence for Hemingway being a mojito slurper as there is for Athletic Bilbao being MLFs tbf. Not a fan of tropical cocktails tbh. Sour cocktails and others with a bit of kick are nice though.  

I’ll save you the explanation (unless you really want it) but Cuban rum (despite its lofty rep*) is dull as fuck. 
*can only assume that’s because it has kudos from being banned in the USA 

49 minutes ago, ewerk said:

This country would not win another world war.

I know there is nicer looking lasses about but I’ve always thought I would enjoy flinging one up her immensely 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you've lost me

The preceding posts. You're the go to media punch bag on the forum, is all. ;)

WHO GIVES A SINGLE FUCK about Holly Willoughby and Philip Schofield? The media are so far up their own arse they think that people actually care about this shit. Sick of it being pastered everywhere, especially on the state funded BBC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

The preceding posts. You're the go to media punch bag on the forum, is all. ;)

WHO GIVES A SINGLE FUCK about Holly Willoughby and Philip Schofield? The media are so far up their own arse they think that people actually care about this shit. Sick of it being pastered everywhere, especially on the state funded BBC. 

Publically funded.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

What rum did you use? If you can remember ;) 

Just used Bacardi as there was an offer on a litre bottle.

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

From what I can remember margaritas are fairly bland, never heard of the other one but then again I'm not a cocktail aficionado like I'm guessing you are? :lol: The closest I've got to cocktails in the past was a shandy as a bairn or the odd snakebite till I couldn't put up with the cider.  The wife used to drink a cocktail called Dennis the menace which she liked and got the Mexicans to make it for her when we were on holiday after she told them the ingredients. 

• Haha 2

Whilst I don’t give a fuck and am also sick of hearing about it, I did think Willoughby probably knew about this. As there’s bound to have been rumours. She then did the upset at not being told about act to protect her own career. Schofield had definitively acted inappropriately (for want of a better word) but hopefully he isn’t hounded everywhere he goes and doesn’t do anything daft. Although the former is almost certainly asking too much of the gutter press 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

From what I can remember margaritas are fairly bland, never heard of the other one but then again I'm not a cocktail aficionado like I'm guessing you are? :lol: The closest I've got to cocktails in the past was a shandy as a bairn or the odd snakebite till I couldn't put up with the cider.  The wife used to drink a cocktail called Dennis the menace which she liked and got the Mexicans to make it for her when we were on holiday after she told them the ingredients. 

Dennis the Menace :lol: I bet that’s not in The Savoy Cocktail Book 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

"Whey aye pet, alz get them ta make a 'Dennis' for yer pet".

"Hoy, Garcon! Two Dennis the Menaces for us, muchos pronto!"

image.png.2d861aaa9ba4ab39ee27b5b1c8d6c717.png

"Que?"

"DENNIS THE MENACE. COMPREHENDEZ VOUS?"

"Tell yer what pet, they cannit get the staff over here. Would't get this doon the Ritz back yem would ya? Good job am fluent in Mexican like."

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Caipirinha is Brazilian, I believe. You should get that one perfected for your next BBQ. Toon army themed cocktails are the ULTIMATE accessory of the true footsoldier.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Whilst I don’t give a fuck and am also sick of hearing about it, I did think Willoughby probably knew about this. As there’s bound to have been rumours. She then did the upset at not being told about act to protect her own career. Schofield had definitively acted inappropriately (for want of a better word) but hopefully he isn’t hounded everywhere he goes and doesn’t do anything daft. Although the former is almost certainly asking too much of the gutter press 

I mean the rumours were everywhere about this when he first came out, so the chances that it all just passed her by are basically nil.

NEVERTHELESS! I'll forgive that woman ANYTHING. Fuck you Schofe for tarnishing our Queen of hearts.

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Dennis the Menace :lol: I bet that’s not in The Savoy Cocktail Book 

:lol:

If I remember correctly it was served in 'Old Orleans'? :lol: (The Mexicans christened it 'Daniel el Travieso').

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

"Whey aye pet, alz get them ta make a 'Dennis' for yer pet".

"Hoy, Garcon! Two Dennis the Menaces for us, muchos pronto!"

image.png.2d861aaa9ba4ab39ee27b5b1c8d6c717.png

"Que?"

"DENNIS THE MENACE. COMPREHENDEZ VOUS?"

"Tell yer what pet, they cannit get the staff over here. Would't get this doon the Ritz back yem would ya? Good job am fluent in Mexican like."

We got on famously with them as we treat them well, spoke to them, sometimes in Spanish, had a laugh and didn't think flinging a dollar at them made being cunts ok. :good:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

If I remember correctly it was served in 'Old Orleans'? :lol: (The Mexicans christened it 'Daniel el Travieso').

I haven’t been to New Orleans but I did occasionally wonder just how authentic the experience was in Old Orleans :lol: 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

The poor fella has done yet another interview where he has claimed he's too scared to leave the house for fear of the public spitting on him.

Though he was an able to make an exception in order to use his 87 year old mother as a sympathy prop.

FxxYWAgaMAARKYI?format=jpg&name=small

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

We got on famously with them as we treat them well, spoke to them, sometimes in Spanish, had a laugh and didn't think flinging a dollar at them made being cunts ok. :good:

I’ve been on a Med Cruise a couple of times. Once when me sis got married and once when it was her 30th. I’d probably rather just have a week or two on Greek island but it was canny enough. It was Princess Cruises and about 80% septics. They were basically two types, they either spoke to the staff like shit or treated them like they were invisible. We got on well with the bar staff etc who were inevitably better crack than your average white, rich American. Also I remember some lad who I think was east European clearing my table at lunchtime and I just said thanks and he said “you’re the first person who’s said thanks to me all day”. I know the Brits aren’t exactly all angels abroad but it was quite an eye opener all the same. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The poor fella has done yet another interview where he has claimed he's too scared to leave the house for fear of the public spitting on him.

Though he was an able to make an exception in order to use his 87 year old mother as a sympathy prop.

FxxYWAgaMAARKYI?format=jpg&name=small

I know it’s a case of his being sorry people found out rather than being sorry etc. it’s still canny awful the way something relatively minor in the scheme of things gets whipped up into a witch hunt though. I’ll admit to not keeping as fully abreast of the media coverage as yourself though ;) 

• Haha 1

I'd say Americans are the worst tourists by a margin. A bit of a generalisation because i've met lovely ones but some seem to treat hotel staff with contempt as you say. Esepcially in places like France where they expect everybody to speak English. But then as HMHM says they will tip heavily, even in all inclusive places with strcit no tipping reules, its so ingrained in their culture, so I can imagine that'san okay bottom line for some staff. A special call out for me goes to South Africans on holiday. Loud, obnoxious, never met a nic one. And now I'm getting deja vu.  

• Haha 2