Scottish Mag

General Random Conversation..

I play in the local power league. Our team is all late 30/early 40s. I don't mind playing the younger kids, because though they're always quicker and more skilful, they don't know how to lay 5 a side - they don't man mark, track back and would rather go on mazy runs, trying to score the perfect goal, which usually ends up in a loss of possession, than retain the ball. Last week was crushing though, we played against a team who had 20 years on all of us, but were also organised and well drilled. 

There are four divisions in the league and we usually end up going up and down between the second and third tiers, so can still hold our own, but are always promoted in second or third place.  We have never won silverware in the decade or so the team has been going. A few have said they'll retire when we finally win a league but i think death might come first tbh

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I play in the local power league. Our team is all late 30/early 40s. I don't mind playing the younger kids, because though they're always quicker and more skilful, they don't know how to lay 5 a side - they don't man mark, track back and would rather go on mazy runs, trying to score the perfect goal, which usually ends up in a loss of possession, than retain the ball. Last week was crushing though, we played against a team who had 20 years on all of us, but were also organised and well drilled. 

There are four divisions in the league and we usually end up going up and down between the second and third tiers, so can still hold our own, but are always promoted in second or third place.  We have never won silverware in the decade or so the team has been going. A few have said they'll retire when we finally win a league but i think death might come first tbh

there's a group of firsts/seconds and a few others like me in a group for weekly 7asides just to keep something up during the summer and it's far more craic than our usual club stuff, like you say totally different game, the amount of lads who come up to training thinking they're unreal because of 5aside and are utterly lost in 11s or like you say go from 11s and won't do the tracking back etc in those wee cages is mental, good fitness though since it's never outta play really but does my loaf in when ya get dicks just thumping it off the wall or whatever like a pass.

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Gloom and his mates warming up.

ImpartialMarvelousCuttlefish-max-1mb.gif

Probably need to find an over 40s league :lol:

Or walking football 

Got an iPad Pro yesterday, been a while since I had a tablet at all, any killer apps beyond the obvious I should be getting?

Any good ones for handwriting notes that transposes them to type?

I drove my dad up to Bamburgh and took him to the potted lobster for lunch on Father’s Day, highly recommended if any of you are ever up that way

Sounds good, quite fancy that.…

Is your Dad free at weekends or does he do weekdays as well? 

:lol:

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

Five fucking days...

Typically, people take 3 days to do the Nose. 

I’d guess the extra time is due to her climbing the ropes directly more than on a usual ascent ( due to her height she’d struggle to reach many of the holds). 

Or maybe she’s just shit :D

18 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Typically, people take 3 days to do the Nose. 

I’d guess the extra time is due to her climbing the ropes directly more than on a usual ascent ( due to her height she’d struggle to reach many of the holds). 

Or maybe she’s just shit :D

Had a mate who used to climb the big walls of the Alps. He and the others would shit into plastic bags suspended on the wall if necessary. Grim. 

I’m back - was only 7 day trip. 

The biggest difference I found was the pace things are done- what would’ve taken 2 days onshore ( If I’d really  dragged things out), took 4 days. :lol:

We were there to cut and cap a small, redundant pipe under the deck- rig the ropes, set up rescue system, have the pipe fitter climb out and do the job ( 1hr max), de-rig, pack up, done. 

Except… the second he cut in to the (supposedly dead for years) pipe, oil started pissing out, all over him, the ropes, and in to the drink. 

Our rescue plan was to lower him in to the rescue boat, which was on standby. 

As soon as we radioed them to come underdeck and get him, they said the swell was to much and they couldn’t come in. 

So we went to our back-up plan and brought him back through the oil covered ropes to deck. 

The subsequent inquest was fun :lol:  

We had all the paperwork from the rig operators stating the pipe was isolated, empty, etc , when it clearly wasn’t. 

The rescue boat should have alerted us to the swell being too much before we started, which they didn’t. 

We were praised for dealing with it quickly and safely, having back-up plans in place etc, having the fitter in all his PPE, and getting him quickly back on deck. 

We then had to re-rig the whole thing with clean ropes, and go back out and do it again. 

All before the weather came in. 

Which we did. 

It was a lively first trip. :lol:

( Had a day “on standby” waiting for places in a chopper to get home, so tore the neck off it :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Had a mate who used to climb the big walls of the Alps. He and the others would shit into plastic bags suspended on the wall if necessary. Grim. 

I'd honestly rather be in jail. 

A cute guy like you would have your own shitting issues with all the attention you’d be getting in jail.

39 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Poor fuckin pipey :lol:

Id imagine if it's a 40+ year old  rig the record keeping & permit system will be all over the shop. 

:lol:

He wasn’t best pleased. 

7 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Have you seen Dawn Wall on Netflix? 

It’s as good. 

Just watched it, good viewing that.

Really makes me want to goto Yosemite.