General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

6 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I read somewhere that the DNA history of Iceland showed that the original settlers were Viking males, and Celtic women- the implication being that the Vikings stopped in Scotland/Ireland to “pick up essential supplies” before heading off to their new colony. 

Edit; it’s a good few paras down in this 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/viking-slavery-raids-evidence

:good:

MacIvar: “son of Ivan”

Macsween: “Son of Sven” 

etc etc 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NJS said:

52% English, 46% Ireland, 2% from Sweden. With the 52% being specifically Durham /Tyne & Wear / Borders. 

Makes sense as my research confirms my mams line has been in Shields for centuries and my dad's great grandparents were famine era Irish immigrants. Don't know where the Viking comes from. 

The Viking could be Irish. Dublin was a major centre for their slave trade :

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

The wife did this imagining herself as possibly a 'Spanish Princess' or a distant relation to Cleopatra or something exotic*. The first results she got back were 100% British and Irish. She wasn't impressed. :lol:

*I'm exaggerating a little bit, obviously. Just a bit though. She's now apparently 63% Northumbrian, 15% Northern Ireland and SW Scotland, 4% Ireland, 4.7% NW Scotland, 4% East Anglia, 2.7% central England, 2.3% South Yorkshire, 1.9% Cornwall, 1.1% NW England.

(I've left a few point percentage points out if anyone is bored enough to add them up) :lol:

I've also obviously had to ask her to check and she knows I'm taking the piss so expecting her revenge in the next day or so.

Your lass has good genes :D

Mine has Swedish etc, but her mother was a Slaymaker before she was married, which, as I enjoy pointing out the the good lady herself, may as well be wandering around in leiderhosen with a stein of beer in its hand :lol:

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our lass’ brother married a girl who thinks of herself as some kind of Instagram influencer. They bought a (really nice) new build city centre flat and she set up an account on there about “renovating” the place?

They painted the walls and bought furniture, silly cow didn’t even do the painting they paid someone to do it.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, strawb said:

Our lass’ brother married a girl who thinks of herself as some kind of Instagram influencer. They bought a (really nice) new build city centre flat and she set up an account on there about “renovating” the place?

They painted the walls and bought furniture, silly cow didn’t even do the painting they paid someone to do it.

Aye that’s a thing apparently. I’ve seen someone who bought an old Victorian house and has posted about 1000 pics of it on the same account. These are the same people who tend to be missing something in their life though and fill the gap with insta likes. Same vein as the millions of profiles which are just young lads and lasses posting pictures of themselves posing with zero context 

15 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Your lass has good genes :D

Mine has Swedish etc, but her mother was a Slaymaker before she was married, which, as I enjoy pointing out the the good lady herself, may as well be wandering around in leiderhosen with a stein of beer in its hand :lol:

PL's fantasies rising to the surface. :lol:

34 minutes ago, strawb said:

The bungalow I'm in had have an extension built and all but one room moved around while we were living in it. I helped with the work when I wasn't at work and obviously painted it. I must be a super influencer then. :lol:

• Haha 1

She can do what she wants like but I don’t need to get an invite to be friends with an account for your flat love. It’s fucking boring and all your Ikea furniture is hardly groundbreaking

There’s a load of ‘instagram models’ that are basically fat lasses where 95% of the photos are just their face and cleavage 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

At least the ones I follow are like that 

I follow loads of saucy middle aged slappers who I went to school with for that exact reason. Time hasn’t been that kind to some of them, but you still would 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I follow loads of saucy middle aged slappers who I went to school with for that exact reason. Time hasn’t been that kind to some of them, but you still would 

I’m sure we have a Borderline Boilers thread. 
Spread the love, man. :lol:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Sadly this does not tend to translate well to the "intimidating lads who were good at sports in year 11" category. :lol: 

• Haha 4