General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

It's a discussion I find very hard to follow. The gay thing is easy, men want to get married then fair enough, lesbians want to adopt then good luck to them.

On the face of it trans issues should be as simple. If you identify as a woman or as a man then crack on.

But Linehan et. al seem to be claiming that lesbians are now being forced to suck dick against their will because of this. I tried reading the JKR essay but five minutes in I guessed I was wasting my time.

Groups on twitter  best not to get involved with: 

1. Trans rights bods

2. Gammonafia

3. Scots Nats

Obviously group 2 are tricky to avoid but FFS if you're not a geezer in a dress or a tartan clad fundamentalist fuckin idiot there's no need to engage with them. It's really, really not worth it....

Edited by PaddockLad

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's a discussion I find very hard to follow. The gay thing is easy, men want to get married then fair enough, lesbians want to adopt then good luck to them.

On the face of it trans issues should be as simple. If you identify as a woman or as a man then crack on.

But Linehan et. al seem to be claiming that lesbians are now being forced to suck dick against their will because of this. I tried reading the JKR essay but five minutes in I guessed I was wasting my time.

Wasn't there something about humans who identify as a woman, but haven't undertaken any physical changes to reflect who they are within, want to use women's toilets?

I can see why women may be uncomfortable with the thought of what is, anatomically speaking at least, a male, being allowed in a space where they'd be more vulnerable.

Also, didn't Rowling say something like "Women who menstruate"? I don't see how transwomen could find that offensive, isn't the very act of specifying "that menstruate" an indication that Rowling accepts that there are women who don't?

I'm not asking you to provide answers btw.

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Groups on twitter  best not to get involved with: 

1. Trans rights bods

2. Gammonafia

3. Scots Nats

Obviously group 2 are tricky to avoid but FFS if you're not a geezer in a dress or a tartan clad fundamentalist fuckin idiot there's no need to engage with them. It's really, really not worth it....

Why the fuck JK Rowling needs to get involved in any of that is ridiculous, she has done on quite a few occasions it seems aswell.

33 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Wasn't there something about humans who identify as a woman, but haven't undertaken any physical changes to reflect who they are within, want to use women's toilets?

I can see why women may be uncomfortable with the thought of what is, anatomically speaking at least, a male, being allowed in a space where they'd be more vulnerable.

Also, didn't Rowling say something like "Women who menstruate"? I don't see how transwomen could find that offensive, isn't the very act of specifying "that menstruate" an indication that Rowling accepts that there are women who don't?

I'm not asking you to provide answers btw.

AFAIA she basically said that if you menstruate then you're a woman. I think that means she was excluding biological women who identify as a man and continue to menstruate.

And the use of women's toilets is a bit like the same red herring as trans women in women's prisons. There doesn't appear to be much evidence to suggest that the trans women are up to no good or more likely to assault other women in those areas.

39 minutes ago, ewerk said:

AFAIA she basically said that if you menstruate then you're a woman. I think that means she was excluding biological women who identify as a man and continue to menstruate.

And the use of women's toilets is a bit like the same red herring as trans women in women's prisons. There doesn't appear to be much evidence to suggest that the trans women are up to no good or more likely to assault other women in those areas.

Fair enough. 

Like I say, I know very little about this and am happy to be told I know fuck all. I can't imagine it's a topic that will touch many of our lives, but I assume it's a topic that affects that small population, very deeply.

I have a few trans/non binary friends so I’m close to the issues at times but still don’t really know what’s going on sometimes and have to ask.

For me it can be as simple as respecting pronouns & identity and providing support where it’s needed even if it’s not relating to gender issues per se.

Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists vs Trans people. Gist is that TERFs believe that the lived experience of people who are born as women is profoundly different from those who are born male and then come to identify as women later in life. Any of the gender specific benefits feminism wins for women are then theoretically open to any man who declares himself a women; and since we have no minimum standard for that beyond acknowledging whatever the individual says, it's problematic.

It's not something anyone who isn't heavily into feminist ideology should worry about but ultimately the SJWs are on the side of trans people, and the radical feminists are finding that they've become the victims of the desire for ongoing progress. They're now the crusty old gammons in the left wing movement.

This is all just from what I've seen anyway.

there's an undeniable distinction between sex and gender. rowling is spot on tbf.

not only that, the way she expresses her opinion is reasoned, thoughtful and considerate - unlike the twitter keyboard warriors. some of the abuse she's received is vile. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

there's an undeniable distinction between sex and gender. rowling is spot on tbf.

not only that, the way she expresses her opinion is reasoned, thoughtful and considerate - unlike the twitter keyboard warriors. some of the abuse she's received is vile. 

She deliberately uses language to trigger people tbh, she may as well have a show on LBC.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

She deliberately uses language to trigger people tbh, she may as well have a show on LBC.

from what i can tell, it doesn't take much to trigger the trans twitterati

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Which one of her skin-deep characters has she retrofitted as transgender in a hollow attempt to sell her books to a new generation this time?

Hismione Granger? 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Yep so maybe she should shut the fuck up & get back to writing about wizards or some shite.

Her actions and the actions of Glinner are largely unnecessary & have caused a lot of harm to people. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yep so maybe she should shut the fuck up & get back to writing about wizards or some shite.

Her actions and the actions of Glinner are largely unnecessary & have caused a lot of harm to people. 

what has she said that is so awful? like most on here, i don't claim to be an expert on transphobia, but i read her article and it seemed perfectly reasonable - I couldn't for the life of me square it with the responses it provoked. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

8 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Which one of her skin-deep characters has she retrofitted as transgender in a hollow attempt to sell her books to a new generation this time?

That riles a lot of people like. “This character was queer along but I thought I wouldn’t reference it in the 20 books  I wrote they were in”

She’s a billionaire ffs :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

what has she said that is so awful? like most on here, i'm don't claim to be an expert on transphobia, but i read her article and it seemed perfectly reasonable - I couldn't for the life of me square it with the responses it provoked. 

I don’t think it’s specific to the 4 posts there but like others she’s been at it for years. 

I.e people would rather not hear from her about it. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

True like. You make one little comment about how autistic girls are being tricked into transitioning and suddenly there's a #WeAreNotConfused hashtag full of actual autistic trans people telling you you're wrong, based solely on [checks notes] their own lived experience. Everyone's so sensitive these days.

• Like 1