General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

On 8/5/2020 at 14:37, Kid Dynamite said:

It may add a little bit but probably not the amount it’s cost. The hope is it sells the house a bit quicker.

The other option is someone else buys the other house before we sell ours and then we just stay and be miserable in our current, perfectly nice house. I’m aware these are absolutely first world problems btw 

Any news?

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Any news?

Went up for sale on the Tuesday. We booked a viewing on the Friday. House sold on the Thursday :lol: 

It’s given us a kick up the arse to get a few bits and bobs sorted in our house though. After that we will get it valued and will be ready to put it up for sale if anything else comes up we like the look of. No stamp duty until March next year

Anyone bought a new composite front door lately, and if so, any company recommendations/warnings?

I’ve spent the last …too fucking long trawling through a sea of cuntery when I just want someone to give me a fucking price, online, to make and fit me a door. 

Please. :lol:

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Anyone bought a new composite front door lately, and if so, any company recommendations/warnings?

I’ve spent the last …too fucking long trawling through a sea of cuntery when I just want someone to give me a fucking price, online, to make and fit me a door. 

Please. :lol:

I trusted my builder and so trusted his recommendation for a double glazer for the refurbishment of my house on board without further vetting. Anyway, did a shit job, cheap PVC windows,  gaps, etc. Took my money and gave no certification. Last week I had to get an emergency tradesman to temporarily fix the front door because it had become so misaligned it wouldn't shut. After 6 months ffs. I now need to replace the whole door and frame, probably cost about 1500 quid and as I've no guarantee I'm screwed. In time I need to change all the windows too, 10k wasted in all. 

The guy was called "Steve", avoid. Hope that helps. ;)

Last house I used Warmseal and they did a cracking job, including porch and composite front door. If you find someone good, pass their details onto me, cheers. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I trusted my builder and so trusted his recommendation for a double glazer for the refurbishment of my house on board without further vetting. Anyway, did a shit job, cheap PVC windows,  gaps, etc. Took my money and gave no certification. Last week I had to get an emergency tradesman to temporarily fix the front door because it had become so misaligned it wouldn't shut. After 6 months ffs. I now need to replace the whole door and frame, probably cost about 1500 quid and as I've no guarantee I'm screwed. In time I need to change all the windows too, 10k wasted in all. 

Last house I used Warmseal and they did a cracking job, including porch and composite front door. If you find someone good, pass their details onto me, cheers. 

You just writing it off then? Do people just take this sort of thing on the chin? 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Honestly mate I’ve never heard of someone having the piss taken so much doing a house up? 

4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Will do mate- I’m waiting for an appointment from the Apeer local fitter that Ewerk linked too above. 

They’re based in Ballymena so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Honestly mate I’ve never heard of someone having the piss taken so much doing a house up? 

Yeah well, unbeknownst to me the master builder I was using, who had won loads of awards and had a 2 year waiting list, was on the verge of bankruptcy and lost all his normal credit lines. Hence he was emplying a sub standard glazier. He's since gone bankrupt but just started another company. I wouldn't care but we paid a premium. To top it off I cant get the council to come out and give us a finish certificate for building regs.

Tbf I think its just the windows and doors, no concerns over the extension itself, electrics, plumbing etc which I sourced most  myself. You live and learn. Finding it almost impossible to find tradesmen to finish things off though at the moment, they're doing very well with covid.   

Edited by Renton

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Yeah well, unbeknownst to me the master builder I was using, who had won loads of awards and had a 2 year waiting list, was on the verge of bankruptcy and lost all his normal credit lines. Hence he was emplying a sub standard glazier. He's since gone bankrupt but just started another company. I wouldn't care but we paid a premium. To top it off I cant get the council to come out and give us a finish certificate for building regs.

Tbf I think its just the windows and doors, no concerns over the extension itself, electrics, plumbing etc which I sourced most  myself. You live and learn. Finding it almost impossible to find tradesmen to finish things off though at the moment, they're doing very well with covid.   

You should turn up at his house with your button up chef's top on and swear at him. Say stuff like "Fucking time's up, big boy" and "You deserve a kick in the nuts."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Small claims court mate, only way to track some of these cowboys down

• Like 1