General Random Conversation..

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

And? How are people supposed to understand things if you don’t teach them about the context and how situations are arrived at? Things like that and other conflicts like the Arab-Israeli ones are decades, if not centuries, in the making. It’s precisely the sort of thing you should be learning about at school because of its relevance to the present 

My point being how do you put an ongoing and changing situation into a national curriculum? And how do you teach it without triggering little Paddy's Dad, who has strong political views on it? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 30k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monkeys Fist

• Gemmill

• The Fish

• Christmas Tree

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yo kiddiewinks. It’s just gone 3am but it feels like 2am. If you have any old-fashioned clocks in your households from the early days of the forum then please adjust them accordingly. And can you clea

Hi lads just a quick update about Master T we were allowed to visit him in the mental hospital at Ryhope yesterday it's the first time we've seen him in 6 days. He was allowed to go to the local Asda

It occurred to me this evening that my traditional posts reminding you boys to adjust your clocks accordingly twice a year (not a euphemism) is becoming redundant in this digital age. However, here I

Posted Images

I don’t know exactly what J was driving at but I took it to mean teaching kids about how the situation in Northern Ireland had been arrived at. I don’t see how you could teach kids about The Troubles without the historical context. Any history that has an impact on the present is likely to be politically charged but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be taught. I agree it’s difficult to get the balance right but it not being taught is more about the rather shameful role of the UK government in the whole thing. Our continued avoidance of those sort of subjects is what leads to the misconception we’re better than everyone else and the world owes us s debt of gratitude. Anyway, you seen the fucking score? 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The time frame puts paid to some theories. He literally disappears off camera for a few minutes at most and then is back on camera stark bollock naked. Barely time for an altercation. And some of his clothes have never be found 

It's mad to me that he should have to be careful which streets he shows his face in because of which school he goes to. I know most cities have estates you pedal your bike a bit faster through but (inner city London aside) you don't tend to literally fear for your life.

The lack of education in England on the Troubles is scandalous mind. Literally didn't hear it mentioned on the syllabus when I was at school in the 90s

Well tbf it's a bit of both, like anywhere since these areas aren't the most affluent riding past with a mobile phone and a fancy bike and not being from the area is  going to make you a target. 

It's also 1. nowhere near as bad in that sense as some areas in cities like London/glasgow/Liverpool etc more likely mugged and a slap than stabbed or badly beaten here or a bit of verbal threats etc from wee scroats 

2. Not be as bad religion or troubles wise as 20 years ago or 20 years before that again. 

But there's always that shadow hanging over things that it could happen, like that area where Noah was found is about a mile from Mount Vernon where another St malachys kid  in 2005 was stabbed  to death just coming back from the shop with some mates, that one was purely sectarian. 

It's just one of those things when it comes to herevit's massively unlikely to happen but It can, like I said previously I litteraly dodged a gun attack myself not going to a birthday thing one weekend when I was 17.

Uda pulled up randomly near a gaa club beside where I lived, shot at some friends, the one they killed happened to not be Catholic, horrible, to add to it the paramedic who arrived was my friends own father. 

Ha. That's reassuring, cheers. 

Back on topic then: in my experience, the troubles or the Irish famine just wasn't on the curriculum in British non-denominational schools in the mid 90s. Which is understandable, the full story isn't a great look for the Brits and likely wouldn't instil much in the way of national pride in reasonable people.

This was pushed through our door tonight. I’ve blotted the number out to save MF a very long drive. 

They’ve done the whole street apparently, my neighbour has already reported it. Bit thoughtless, they could’ve waited until after my birthday.  

CB408CF5-BBFE-4357-980C-C412FA071CD0.jpeg

• Haha 9
1 hour ago, trophyshy said:

This was pushed through our door tonight. I’ve blotted the number out to save MF a very long drive. 

They’ve done the whole street apparently, my neighbour has already reported it. Bit thoughtless, they could’ve waited until after my birthday.  

CB408CF5-BBFE-4357-980C-C412FA071CD0.jpeg

Two boxes of Kleenex on the table there. Looks like someone intends to get his full £25 worth. 

• Haha 6
54 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:

Aye, the suck-slut doesn’t specify whether they’re sword or sheath, do they. 🤔

Just close your eyes, you won’t tell the difference!

Got to be easier than Quiff having to clean his fleshlight every evening.

• Haha 1

Meant to be moving house today. Found out last night that the first buyers in the chain haven't got an ISA closing statement from their bank which they need for their mortgage funds to be released. 

Our broadband got turned off this morning, building and contents insurance has been cancelled, washing machine and bairns bedroom furniture was donated to charity and collected yesterday... FML :lol: 

Say a prayer that it gets sorted out for Monday! 

• Jaysus... 2

Moving house when you're in a chain at both ends is fucking horrific like. Ridiculous though that all the paperwork wasn't sorted out so its ready to go on moving day. Good luck. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Moving house is fucking horrific like.

Simplified your post. I never cease to be amazed by how utterly shit this process is that almost everyone has to do at least a few times in their life. :lol: All the best KD, hope it works out.

• Like 2