General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Anyone who puts 'Jedi' down as their religion is a cunt

I put 'cunt' down as mine.

:lol:

Minge :D

Edited by alex

I'm watching family guy on FX :lol:

I think it's a boy thing. Although it's been okay when I've seen it, I wouldn't choose to sit and watch it on a Saturday night.

Wor lass and I both love it. It certainly appeals to a juvenile sense of humour though, which is right up my street tbh.

Are you me?

Just done the census online - 5 minutes - sorted.

So did our lass, bit longer than 5 minutes though with 6 peeps to fill in.

I said to her, in 100 years from now your great, great, great etc grand daughter will be researching this.

I did a bit on Ancestry.co.uk a while ago - I found that my paternal great-grandfather who was originally from Berwick met his wife who was Cumbrian in Barrow in Furness before they moved to Jarra in about 1895. For the last 2 or 3 censuses his occupation was down as a steam mechanic or boiler worker so I assume he worked in a shipyard but for one of them (1891 I think) I'm sure his occupation was given as "Ethiopian Comedian" - I assumed it was a typo or the "Jedi" answer of the day as I'm sure he wasn't African :lol:

I said to her, in 100 years from now your great, great, great etc grand daughter will be researching this.

I did a bit on Ancestry.co.uk a while ago - I found that my paternal great-grandfather who was originally from Berwick met his wife who was Cumbrian in Barrow in Furness before they moved to Jarra in about 1895. For the last 2 or 3 censuses his occupation was down as a steam mechanic or boiler worker so I assume he worked in a shipyard but for one of them (1891 I think) I'm sure his occupation was given as "Ethiopian Comedian" - I assumed it was a typo or the "Jedi" answer of the day as I'm sure he wasn't African :D

Brilliant.

Just wondering how rediculous everyone gets with disposing of old bank cards.

Im guessing cutting into 8 pieces and disposing of different segments in different bins is being over cautious. :lol:

I'm in the process of doing EXACTLY the same myself!

I did a bit on Ancestry.co.uk a while ago - I found that my paternal great-grandfather who was originally from Berwick met his wife who was Cumbrian in Barrow in Furness before they moved to Jarra in about 1895. For the last 2 or 3 censuses his occupation was down as a steam mechanic or boiler worker so I assume he worked in a shipyard but for one of them (1891 I think) I'm sure his occupation was given as "Ethiopian Comedian" - I assumed it was a typo or the "Jedi" answer of the day as I'm sure he wasn't African :D

Am keen on doing my mother's family as we know nothing about them, apart from her own mother's maiden name was Concannon, which if we're like most of the folk on "who do you think you are", is likely to be shorthand for the potato famine and lots of grief. Did you use the 14 day free trial on ancestry? what option did you go for after that and how far back did it get you?

Am keen on doing my mother's family as we know nothing about them, apart from her own mother's maiden name was Concannon, which if we're like most of the folk on "who do you think you are", is likely to be shorthand for the potato famine and lots of grief. Did you use the 14 day free trial on ancestry? what option did you go for after that and how far back did it get you?

I signed up for a couple of months - I only managed to get back to the comedian on my Dad's side - he was born in 1863 so beyond that you're down to parish records which are a nightmare. My surname is reasonably rare as was my Grandmother's maiden name so it wasn't that hard but my Mam's maiden name and her Mam's maiden name are both too common to allow much detail. Unfortunately the only remaining source for data was my Auntie who died before I started.

One thing I noticed for those who preach about "better morality" in days of yore - both my Mam and Dad's parents' wedding dates were less than 9 months before the birth of their first kid (One was my Mam and the other my Dad's elder brother) so both were "shotgun" marriages. Maybe the difference was that they did get married (and both had long marriages as it happens). Doesn't bother me in the slightest of course.

I signed up for a couple of months - I only managed to get back to the comedian on my Dad's side - he was born in 1863 so beyond that you're down to parish records which are a nightmare. My surname is reasonably rare as was my Grandmother's maiden name so it wasn't that hard but my Mam's maiden name and her Mam's maiden name are both too common to allow much detail. Unfortunately the only remaining source for data was my Auntie who died before I started.

One thing I noticed for those who preach about "better morality" in days of yore - both my Mam and Dad's parents' wedding dates were less than 9 months before the birth of their first kid (One was my Mam and the other my Dad's elder brother) so both were "shotgun" marriages. Maybe the difference was that they did get married (and both had long marriages as it happens). Doesn't bother me in the slightest of course.

Aye, I think we look back at previous generations still with, in a very wierd way, a hangover from Victorian/Edwardian "moral values", which were apparently only on the surface if you look into it as you have done. The other phrase that strikes me about this is "every generation thinks that they invented sex" which has probably been a truism since the year dot, as Kevin seems to be illiustrating on here from time to time :lol:

"Who do you think you are" for me is often a really interesting programme. Spike Lee was on the other night and he found out he was very likely a distant grandson of a white plantation owner in Georgia! :D Don't think he was too impressed with that. The best one though was when Alexander Armstrong was informed he was decended from the Hanorvarian kings of the 18th century (mad King George & co) and thus could trace his direct family line back to William the Conquerer...the look on the blokes face was priceless, he had to sit down to take it all in.

Aye, I think we look back at previous generations still with, in a very wierd way, a hangover from Victorian/Edwardian "moral values", which were apparently only on the surface if you look into it as you have done. The other phrase that strikes me about this is "every generation thinks that they invented sex" which has probably been a truism since the year dot, as Kevin seems to be illiustrating on here from time to time :lol:

"Who do you think you are" for me is often a really interesting programme. Spike Lee was on the other night and he found out he was very likely a distant grandson of a white plantation owner in Georgia! :D Don't think he was too impressed with that. The best one though was when Alexander Armstrong was informed he was decended from the Hanorvarian kings of the 18th century (mad King George & co) and thus could trace his direct family line back to William the Conquerer...the look on the blokes face was priceless, he had to sit down to take it all in.

In one sense I think the mind-boggling numbers of ancestors we have makes me feel like they don't really matter but when you do personalise it even only for a couple of generations as I did you can easily be quite affected. Being the baby of the family and being born 8 years after my sister and most/all of my cousins meant I only ever knew one of my grandparents (Mam's Mam) and didn't really know much history. Finding out that both my Parents' Dads died when they were even younger than I was when my Dad died particularly moved me - especially as in boith cases it was "only" TB.

Looking at the censuses at the end of the 19th century and seeing the what I presume would have been tiny houses crammed with kids and comparing it with the relative luxury I live in now was also thought provoking.

There's a teenage lass on the forum, should we hook her and Kevin up?

you talking about me lol?

:lol: Sounds more like she's in DEADMAN's league...

I am, though I wouldn't be entirely shocked if you were Kevin's alter ego!

There's a teenage lass on the forum, should we hook her and Kevin up?

you talking about me lol?

:lol: Sounds more like she's in DEADMAN's league...

whos kevin and whos deadman lol?

Whoever replies to her with the correct prices in the season ticket thread she made I'm going to accuse of grooming

Edited by AshleysSkidMark