General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

44 minutes ago, Alex said:

What’s the fucking point in that story? He’s a habitual offender (including violent crime and carrying knives) and that’s it, bar appearing in a low budget film no one has heard of 35 years ago. To make it even more pointless they interviewed him 10 years ago. If you asked 100 people on Northumberland Street who he was, no one would have a clue unless they’d just been aggressively pestered for spare change by him. You’d probably get the same responses just after the film had been released. He did meet Robson Green once though.  

It's a joke article. In answer to your opening sentence it could be a great prop to keep lying on your desk when the Knight's due in to ask for a pay rise so he can see how the Tyneside mighty can fall.

• Haha 2

Think I posted on here about our club appointing a new Diversity officer.  Lots of people saw it as the right move and a lot saying how there was too much 'mansplaining' and not enough gender neutral language.

Yesterday someone posted a photo of a group of riders at an event at the weekend.  There were two women on the front and men on the back waving at the camera.  The chair was first to comment with 'Typical, women on the front doing the work whilst the blokes are posing at the back' This is the same chair that was congratulating the addition of the diversity officer.  Then a load of 'LOL' comments from the people who were talking about 'mansplaining' and gender neutral language.

Hypocrisy is great init :lol: 

I would say that was a fairly harmless joke, no? I don't see the ofence init but then again I'm ready for pasture now I think.

My work told me last week when I introduce myself to a client or someone else, I shoudl say "Hi, my name is Renton, I like to be referrered to as him/he".

Fuck.

Right.

Off.

Sorry if this makes me some unconstructed bigot, I just don't feel comfortable doing this. Anyway, is it right to make me feel uncomfortable? 

• Like 3

I don't even know who Jordan Peterson is. I have almost zero interest in this subject, think there are far more important things. But trying to change how I address myself after a life time is a bit much. For those that don't mind doing this, fill your boots, I don't care either way. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

I would say that was a fairly harmless joke, no? I don't see the ofence init but then again I'm ready for pasture now I think.

My work told me last week when I introduce myself to a client or someone else, I shoudl say "Hi, my name is Renton, I like to be referrered to as him/he".

Fuck.

Right.

Off.

Sorry if this makes me some unconstructed bigot, I just don't feel comfortable doing this. Anyway, is it right to make me feel uncomfortable? 

I totally agree, I think it is a harmless joke.  However, on a certain ride a female rider who wasn't confident at climbing steep climbs got up without stopping and she was chuffed.  Everyone commented saying well done. That was jumped on by the woke crew saying the comments by blokes were patronising. :lol: 

• Jaysus... 1

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fuck.

Right.

Off.

My brothers company had similar btw.  They were told they were 'allowed' to have pronouns on their email signatures earlier this year :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

My work told me last week when I introduce myself to a client or someone else, I shoudl say "Hi, my name is Renton, today I like to be referrered to as him/he".

I’d go the malicious compliance route here, and just add the word today, as I’ve placed it above.
Then change them each day, keep everyone in their toes. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

My brothers company had similar btw.  They were told they were 'allowed' to have pronouns on their email signatures earlier this year :lol: 

Yeah, we got that last year, now it's spreading to verbal introductions. Voluntary, I think, so far. 

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d go the malicious compliance route here, and just add the word today, as I’ve placed it above.
Then change them each day, keep everyone in their toes. 

Of course you would 🙂 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Fuck.

Right.

Off.

To be fair, I would have found this quite useful when I first met you. Pleased you've cleared it up now - better late than never. 

• Haha 4

On 03/07/2022 at 08:49, Kid Dynamite said:

Robbing the tax payer. You must be proud 👍

Says you? Been phoning it in for years haven't you. Bet you went outside when people clapped the NHS just so you could take a collection bowl round.

Leech.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Renton said:

World gone mad this shite, obviously if you sepcifically want to be referred to by a pronoun that isn't obvious or is important to you but FFS most people struggle to remember other's names.

Let's just start with; "Hi my name is Renton, I like to be referred to as Renton, not Rents, Rennie, Reno, Tons, just fucking Renton, that way there is no need to refer to me as a pronoun."

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

Says you? Been phoning it in for years haven't you. Bet you went outside when people clapped the NHS just so you could take a collection bowl round.

Leech.

Aye, phoned in my Masters with Distinction to make me better at SAVING LIVES! That collection bowl should be full of medals 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Aye, phoned in my Masters with Distinction to make me better at SAVING LIVES! That collection bowl should be full of medals 

"A master's with distinction? Well done young'un but how many other punks got the same thing in the same year? Hundreds? Thousands? Now the trinity mirror regional sports writer of the year award, guess how many won that in 2014? As one Frederick Mercury once almost said around the time  big Jack Charlton was in charge at the cathedral on the hill, 'There can....be only......fucking one, bonny lad' and that one was the punter's champion, the Knight Ryder extraordinare. Lol."

Lee-Ryder (1)__01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Renton said:

Fuck.

Right.

Off.

U ok, hun/he/zir?

• Haha 3

Keep an eye out for recommendations around fixing next week. 

If we'd all fixed a few weeks ago (when the advice was that we shouldn't), we'd all be saving money now because the news on the October cap is looking even worse than thought. 

Great news that we've got a pretend govt in place that will sit on their hands while the energy companies continue to take the piss out of everyone. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Keep an eye out for recommendations around fixing next week. 

If we'd all fixed a few weeks ago (when the advice was that we shouldn't), we'd all be saving money now because the news on the October cap is looking even worse than thought. 

Great news that we've got a pretend govt in place that will sit on their hands while the energy companies continue to take the piss out of everyone. 

He's on C4 news. The rise in energy bills predicted is fucking horrific.

On 07/07/2022 at 00:14, Howmanheyman said:

"A master's with distinction? Well done young'un but how many other punks got the same thing in the same year? Hundreds? Thousands? Now the trinity mirror regional sports writer of the year award, guess how many won that in 2014? As one Frederick Mercury once almost said around the time  big Jack Charlton was in charge at the cathedral on the hill, 'There can....be only......fucking one, bonny lad' and that one was the punter's champion, the Knight Ryder extraordinare. Lol."

Lee-Ryder (1)__01.jpg

I dearly hope the actual Knight Ryder gets to read these.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So my energy bill that was £120pm in March, and is now £250pm, might be £450pm come October :lol: 

WTAF?

It's taken me 20 years of graft to earn enough to put some money into savings every month, and most of that is just going on petrol and bill rises now. Most of the people I work with literally don't have that amount of cash spare every month and I'm not sure how they will put the radiators on this Winter

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 3

It’s insane, isn’t it? 

They make billions in profit every year, it’s utterly unnecessary, but here we are. 

Remember when utilities were nationalised, and affordable? 

41 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

So my energy bill that was £120pm in March, and is now £250pm, might be £450pm come October :lol: 

WTAF?

It's taken me 20 years of graft to earn enough to put some money into savings every month, and most of that is just going on petrol and bill rises now. Most of the people I work with literally don't have that amount of cash spare every month and I'm not sure how they will put the radiators on this Winter

We'd literally just decided that it's finally time to leave London because our already extortionate rent is increasing in line with current inflation next month (and even then, the increase is only so "low" out of appreciation for us being good tenants - cheers like, greatly obliged :lol: ) but the latest energy cost news has given us a much needed extra shove to do it sooner rather than later. In this landscape we need the security of owning and we need much lower outgoings, because there's less and less of a security buffer there. And I'm saying that from the perspective of a two-salary household with no kids, pets, cars etc. Like you, I've no idea how people without that safety net will cope. I mean, I do - they won't. It could be grim as fuck.

• Like 4

On 06/07/2022 at 08:16, Renton said:

Yeah, we got that last year, now it's spreading to verbal introductions. Voluntary, I think, so far. 

If it's voluntary, fair enough. People being allowed to tell you up front whether they want to be referred to as male, female or straight up say "please don't use gendered pronouns when you refer to me" seems fair enough to me if that's what they want to do.

I don't understand the hysteria around all this. If I was to guess most of it seems to stem from folk that don't realise we've all used pronouns for all our lives without issue and are just shit scared of being called out in public for not understanding what a pronoun is.