General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Talking of astronomy, Jupiter is the closest it's been to the Earth for 59 years. My mum says she distinctly remembers talking to my dad and uncle (his brother), who were both into astronomy, about the approach then, and my Dad speculating what the future would be like on the next close approach and whether he'd be alive. He missed it but my uncle, who is a decade younger, is still around. I'll remind him of this story.

My mum says the 6 decades have gone like the blink of an eye. The vastness of space and time is truly humbling. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

The live feed is below 

I think impact is due at 14 minutes past midnight, so logging in at midnight should get all the meaty stuff. 

This is like waiting for tiddie pics on dial-up. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Renton said:

Talking of astronomy, Jupiter is the closest it's been to the Earth for 59 years. My mum says she distinctly remembers talking to my dad and uncle (his brother), who were both into astronomy, about the approach then, and my Dad speculating what the future would be like on the next close approach and whether he'd be alive. He missed it but my uncle, who is a decade younger, is still around. I'll remind him of this story.

My mum says the 6 decades have gone like the blink of an eye. The vastness of space and time is truly humbling. 

My oldest hit me with this same Jupiter stat after school today and was out in the garden excitedly looking at stars at the back of ten asking me which one was Jupiter. Bit shite having to break to her that even if we had a telescope and some coordinates, dad actually isn't that all that smart, but we had a cool 15 minutes gazing at stars and chatting about just how small our town is compared to the vastness of space.

Bit of a reality check for me tbh and feeling like a shite dad for having nothing else to offer bar "aye, we're pretty insignificant in the grand scheme".

18 hours ago, ewerk said:

Aren't EVs pretty much going to be the only car available come 2030? I'm all for saving the environment and all that shite but when an EV is much more expensive than a comparable diesel or petrol then there's no chance I'm getting one.

You may be starting to see what so called “climate sceptics” have a problem with.

Those cunts at Davos will still be swanning around in whatever the fuck they feel like too…! 😁

8 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

My oldest hit me with this same Jupiter stat after school today and was out in the garden excitedly looking at stars at the back of ten asking me which one was Jupiter. Bit shite having to break to her that even if we had a telescope and some coordinates, dad actually isn't that all that smart, but we had a cool 15 minutes gazing at stars and chatting about just how small our town is compared to the vastness of space.

Bit of a reality check for me tbh and feeling like a shite dad for having nothing else to offer bar "aye, we're pretty insignificant in the grand scheme".

Bit late for this sorry, but there are apps on the phone that map the sky for you and can pinpoint planets, ISS, constellations and all that. 

I'm now worried this will somehow summon Wolfy.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Bit late for this sorry, but there are apps on the phone that map the sky for you and can pinpoint planets, ISS, constellations and all that. 

I'm now worried this will somehow summon Wolfy.

You're still entertaining him on the SMB aren't you? 

Just now, Renton said:

You're still entertaining him on the SMB aren't you? 

Nah, I've not posted on there in ages. Browse on occasion but honestly? It's not as fun when they're not struggling so much.

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Don’t worry, the “kind of telegraph” systems on Teeside are down at the minute. :lol:

I warmly remember him telling Rikko that despite his on-hand experience, patient explanations and expertise, Nuclear power doesn't exist. No, he needed proof that wasn't anecdotal, empirical or based on what we'd been lead to believe by the deep state.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Nah, I've not posted on there in ages. Browse on occasion but honestly? It's not as fun when they're not struggling so much.

I searched denpressure on that forum and sure enough, he was there with you arguing with him. Not that long either.

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

I searched denpressure on that forum and sure enough, he was there with you arguing with him. Not that long either.

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers 

It was nearly a year ago Renton.

10 months is a long time.

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

Is it Fish? Is it really?

Time Clock GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, since then, I've had a new kitchen put in, we signed a stack of good players, relationships with one of my neighbours have soured to the point she'll blank my wife and son.

Just now, strawb said:

Waiting for a skip delivered, “between 7 and 4.30”

What’s the point in such a wide delivery schedule? Sat here with my thumb up my arse

well, you know what we say, that's quite a range.

Animated GIF

• Haha 2
  • Jaysus... 1

53 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
What did you do? 

Well, that's the thing, I'm not sure. But I do often talk shit about her to the Mrs, or anyone we have round, so maybe the walls are thin enough for her to hear? Fuck her though, her and her adult son have blazing arguments at all times of the day and night about the most mundane shit.

"BEN! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU NOT TO LEAVE THE WINDOW OPEN!"

"URGH MUM LEAVE ME ALOOOOONE THIS IS WHY NOBODY LIKES YOU!!"

Really interrupts the zen vibes I've got going when working on WIP-Project New Draft 20210821 ver 2.0(7).xlsx

• Haha 1