General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Speaking of Twiglets, they’ve been my top-dog, most favourite, bestest snack since I was a nipper. 

Ever since my second dose of Covid, where my sense of taste fucked off for a bit, they’ve tasted … wrong. 

I’m fucking devastated tbh. :lol:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Speaking of Twiglets, they’ve been my top-dog, most favourite, bestest snack since I was a nipper. 

Ever since my second dose of Covid, where my sense of taste fucked off for a bit, they’ve tasted … wrong. 

I bet Right Said Fred have a theory about that 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, strawb said:

Coffee is the biggest swindle in the world, I refuse to believe anyone likes the taste of it but they are all now too embarrassed to admit it.

I fucking loved it, right up until the missus made me a cup on Sunday morning. Spat the first mouthful out and demanded to know what the fuck kind of coffee it was and she replied "the same Kenco stuff you were drinking yesterday morning". 

Its not even just coffee like. Almost everything tastes weird and people and things have smells I've never noticed before. Only saving grace is Guinness and JW Black are still doing the business (for now, touchwood!)

7 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Sounds a bit like how I felt when they changed our Irn-Bru. Getting food from the chippy has never been the same. 

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

There’s nothing wrong with your tastebuds, instant coffee has always tasted like shit 👍🏻 ;) 

Was totally palatable when I was smoking near 30 a day. 

Also since my sense of smell returned I'm all for bringing back the 2 meter rule from lockdown, permanently.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Was totally palatable when I was smoking near 30 a day. 

Also since my sense of smell returned I'm all for bringing back the 2 meter rule from lockdown, permanently.

Aye, I remember when the smoking van first came in and thinking that most pubs fucking stank without tab smoke to cover that up

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, I remember when the smoking van first came in and thinking that most pubs fucking stank without tab smoke to cover that up

Ice Cream vans did sell single tabs to the local kids iirc ;)

• Haha 3

We used to have a bloke, The Venetian, who sold sugar cones, and Regal Kings for £1 a pack in the early 80s. *

The sugar cones were more expensive iirc :lol:

* he was obviously selling duty frees on the side , as well as shagging all the local tarts, probably. 

What a life! :lol:

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

We used to have a bloke, The Venetian, who sold sugar cones, and Regal Kings for £1 a pack in the early 80s. *

The sugar cones were more expensive iirc :lol:

* he was obviously selling duty frees on the side , as well as shagging all the local tarts, probably. 

What a life! :lol:

Life of an ice-cream van man. Our guy was largely the same. Duty free Regal that magically appeared from inside his coat 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, strawb said:

Coffee is the biggest swindle in the world, I refuse to believe anyone likes the taste of it but they are all now too embarrassed to admit it.

Good coffee is lush. 

Instant coffee is bollocks, also loads of people don't seem to know how to make fresh coffee at home. Those Nespresso pods have been sitting around for fucking ages so won't taste as good either. 

Chain coffee shops are shit as well.

Hate to say it, but the best coffee is from hipster coffee shops, where the lass behind the counter has half her head shaven, neck tattoos and a smile like a puckered arsehole.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Good coffee is lush. 

Instant coffee is bollocks, also loads of people don't seem to know how to make fresh coffee at home. Those Nespresso pods have been sitting around for fucking ages so won't taste as good either. 

Chain coffee shops are shit as well.

Hate to say it, but the best coffee is from hipster coffee shops, where the lass behind the counter has half her head shaven, neck tattoos and a smile like a puckered arsehole.

If they’re Italian it’s normally spot on. Two cases in point are Cicarelli’s at Blyth and Pizzeria italia at four lane ends. The latter even comes with  Neapolitan attitude. Which is both amusing and preferable to the sort of places you describe ;) (on the whole I would say you’re right though). 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

If they’re Italian it’s normally spot on. Two cases in point are Cicarelli’s at Blyth and Pizzeria italia at four lane ends. The latter even comes with  Neapolitan attitude. Which is both amusing and preferable to the sort of places you describe ;) (on the whole I would say you’re right though). 

I've done the nerd thing and watched youtube tutorials on how to make the best coffee at home (I'd recommend Northstar coffee). The difference between instant and that is huge,

pulp fiction coffee GIF by The Good Films

but the difference between my stuff at home and the proper coffee shops is hugerer.

For me, a simple coffee percolator works, no need to grind your own beans or any shit like that. Inexpensive, hassle free, Americano (with milk). Unfortunately I can't stand the taste of normal granular instant coffe now as a result.

Btw @Blastronaut, I can guarantee you absolutely honked when you were smoking. Since smoking indoors has been banned virtually everywhere, us non-smokers can smell you from 100 yards, you absolute stinker.  

Edited by Renton