General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Quite the day today

Mother-in-law taken into intensive care. The care home let us know but had she was in hospital but gave us the impression she would be back later. Mrs S phoned the hospital to be told you should probably come visit.
Not particularly handy as the stubborn old goat insisted on moving 300 miles away to be near her (now dead) sister when she sold her house

She's heading to the hospital as we speak

Combined with the news I’m going to be made redundant.
Came completely out of the blue, been there 21 years and there hadn’t even been a hint of “restructuring” coming my way. As far as i can tell its only the centre I run thats having my level removed.

My mortgage has gone up 700 quid in the last 6 months. Electric has more than doubled and I was near the edge as it was. Now this

I’m a bit shellshocked to be honest

• Sad 11
  • Jaysus... 1

21 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Quite the day today

Mother-in-law taken into intensive care. The care home let us know but had she was in hospital but gave us the impression she would be back later. Mrs S phoned the hospital to be told you should probably come visit.
Not particularly handy as the stubborn old goat insisted on moving 300 miles away to be near her (now dead) sister when she sold her house

Came completely out of the blue, been there 21 years and there hadn’t even been a hint of “restructuring” coming my way. As far as i can tell its only the centre I run thats having my level removed.

My mortgage has gone up 700 quid in the last 6 months. Electric has more than doubled and I was near the edge as it was. Now this

Fucking hell, I've had a terrible day health wise but it pales now. I can only hope someone of your talents gets sorted sooner rather than later. Best of luck with your mam, hope you make it. 🤞

• Like 5

Ah shit man, really sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope things improve for your MiL and that you are at least getting a big payoff which will tide you over til something new comes along.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

The old student halls on Coach Lane are ablaze. 

I’d avoid Coach Lane for the next few hours as it looks like a biggy …

7960c5f5-70ee-43ac-9a59-3d538e6f7a59.jpeg.ef3f1747b5f66afbbe95089251b198e2.jpeg

Well burnt. 

Wonder if HMHM let one go whilst walking past? 

• Haha 3

Either of those things on their own would be terrible, mate. Really sorry to hear that. I hope you get yourself sorted out with something soon. By the way, I think a lot of mortgages have compulsory insurance, so you may well be able to claim for a period whilst you’re out of work. I know you won’t be in the frame of mind to look into it now. But you’ll have a statutory notice period from work too. Even if they put you in gardening leave they’ll still have to pay you plus you’ll be entitled to a minimum redundancy payout too. Hopefully they’ll give you a bit more but make sure you get at least what you’re due. There’s info and a calculator on .gov.uk where you can see what you’re due, etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Either of those things on their own would be terrible, mate. Really sorry to hear that. I hope you get yourself sorted out with something soon. By the way, I think a lot of mortgages have compulsory insurance, so you may well be able to claim for a period whilst you’re out of work. I know you won’t be in the frame of mind to look into it now. But you’ll have a statutory notice period from work too. Even if they put you in gardening leave they’ll still have to pay you plus you’ll be entitled to a minimum redundancy payout too. Hopefully they’ll give you a bit more but make sure you get at least what you’re due. There’s info and a calculator on .gov.uk where you can see what you’re due, etc

Cheers. Looks like I'm getting 9 months salary Inc 3 months notice, so not too shabby. I'm going to be well pissed off if I have actually work my notice.

Going to need a couple of days to actually process everything but it might actually work out ok

• Like 8

6 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Cheers. Looks like I'm getting 9 months salary Inc 3 months notice, so not too shabby. I'm going to be well pissed off if I have actually work my notice.

Going to need a couple of days to actually process everything but it might actually work out ok

Good luck with everything. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Quite the day today

Jesus man that's awful. 

I forget what you do, maybe someone on hear knows of an opportunity? I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Except Wykikitoon, he'd help of course, but the man is uncomfortable with happiness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Not sure if that's 9 or 12 months you mean but either way its not too shabby (and fuck working normally on your notice period btw, just do the minumum if you have to). It's inevitable if you've worked somewhere for a long period it's incredibly stressful to have a change like this forced upon you, but often it works out for the best. But you're doing the right thing at the moment, focus on your MIL and supporting your wife for the probably inevitable awful time ahead, this is more important, and you're brain will be turning its cogs subconciously in the background coming up with work/life solutions and inevitably come up with a eureka moment. May be you can take over Caroline Lucas's role? ;)

Good luck in any case. 

• Like 3

Some 15yr old lad has been killed in Manchester after crashing his e-bike in to an ambulance. 

These things are fucking insane- the number of fucking wideboys I’ve just barely avoided hitting* as they fly down the wrong side of the road, no lights, no helmets, no fucks given, mental. 
And they’re basically silent, at least with the unregistered trials bikes you hear the cunts from 3 miles away. 

* I try my best but the fuckers are too fast. :lol:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Renton said:

and fuck working normally on your notice period btw, just do the minumum if you have to

It's possible that the reason I'm going is linked to me coasting for the last 18 months. I used to run 2 depots but they took the one I liked off me and left me in charge of the one with 50 mile both way commute and the people I can't stand.

I've also been insisting on wfh 50% of the time, and I can be a bit gobby so it's possible I said the wrong thing to the wrong person

I've convinced myself it's for the best

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

It's possible that the reason I'm going is linked to me coasting for the last 18 months. I used to run 2 depots but they took the one I liked off me and left me in charge of the one with 50 mile both way commute and the people I can't stand.

I've also been insisting on wfh 50% of the time, and I can be a bit gobby so it's possible I said the wrong thing to the wrong person

I've convinced myself it's for the best

With all that in mind get a sick note for stress off your GP if they make you work your notice. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

So Connor McGregor was asked to pretend to knock out the Miami Heat mascot at an NBA game he was guest at. He punched him so hard he had to go to hospital. One of the biggest divvies around 

Man’s an absolute cunt. 

Sucker punched some old bloke who didn’t want a free glass of his pish whiskey a few years ago. 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2023 at 17:44, spongebob toonpants said:

Quite the day today

sorry to hear this mate

• Like 1

and so…taking a working class lad to a free bar in soho ISN’T a good idea….and I’ve realised I’m alcohol dependent and I’m going through medical treatment. 

its absolutely fucking horrible to admit but I’m at that stage now, very much at a crossroads

i absolutely fucking love drink, but some things are more important and it’s time to get sober 

• Like 13

Just now, ewerk said:

Good for you, mate. I hope you're getting the treatment you need.

I think there's now enough of you on this board to start our own AA group. 

my best friend is a doctor, who literally wrote a paper on it for the British medical journal so I’ve gone to him first 

But also a formal drs appointment is in the books 

i still firmly believe alcohol is the worst drug out there. mainly because it's omnipresent and socially acceptable pretty much everywhere. there's no escape from it and most people don't judge you for getting shitfaced.

i have a weird love-hate relationship with the stuff and have also flirted with the idea of giving it up. 

i love a drink so much that one pretty much always turns into a pissup. even when it's just the wife and i sat home watching telly on a friday night. she's fine with a couple of glasses of wine, i'll sink a bottle then a few drams after she goes to bed. 

hate it enough to regularly go a week or more without touching the stuff. 

so i'm not an alcoholic in the sense that i have a physical dependency, but i definitely have an unhealthy relationship with it, find it quite a self destructive drug and frequently ask myself if life would be better without it. 

to anyone on here who has given up, does this sound like you? 

• Like 3