General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Don't know if it's the same woman described there or another one but a mountaineer I saw on a documentary about Everest said that surely it was better to abandon your attempted ascent in order to spend some time with a dying person than it is to leave them and continue. If you're on the way down it's a different matter of course.

Watched this not so long ago after a recommendation in the movie thread and it was great (might have been from you or Barney)

Touching The Void

Aye, I've seen it so it might have been me. I think Jimbo recommended it to me.

The topic of high rescue has been debated for years in mountaineering circles.

For me, it was answered in the seventies. Doug Scott snapped both ankles near the top of a mountain called The Ogre, in the Himalaya. It's smaller than Everest ( obviously) but much harder.

He was fucked, but his buddies ( Dougal Haston and Chris Bonington) got him down safely. It's an epic story, I'll see if I can find an online version later when I finish graft.

Don't know if it's the same woman described there or another one but a mountaineer I saw on a documentary about Everest said that surely it was better to abandon your attempted ascent in order to spend some time with a dying person than it is to leave them and continue. If you're on the way down it's a different matter of course.

Watched this not so long ago after a recommendation in the movie thread and it was great (might have been from you or Barney)

Touching The Void

great flick, i loved at the end when after making it back, broken ,emaciated and dehydrated. the poor bugger gets pissed off about his clothes getting burnt.... :lol:

"...all i wanted was a fresh pair of socks!"

Just got back from a 90 minute child safety course that I would highly recommend to anyone with you young'uns.

Apart from very good general safety advice around the home, it also included child resuscitation training and demonstrations and what to do if you r child chokes. (the number three cause of death in under 5's).

Not only do they show and tell you all you need to know, they also have special life like child dolls fitted with clever gadgets that let you practise what you've learned.

Sessions are free and are taking place at most local health centres and child clinics etc.

There being run by Whoops which is funded by the ROSPA

If you have kids and currently dont know what to do should they stop breathing or start choking then you really should get along.

Just got back from a 90 minute child safety course that I would highly recommend to anyone with you young'uns.

Apart from very good general safety advice around the home, it also included child resuscitation training and demonstrations and what to do if you r child chokes. (the number three cause of death in under 5's).

Not only do they show and tell you all you need to know, they also have special life like child dolls fitted with clever gadgets that let you practise what you've learned.

Sessions are free and are taking place at most local health centres and child clinics etc.

There being run by Whoops which is funded by the ROSPA

If you have kids and currently dont know what to do should they stop breathing or start choking then you really should get along.

Or… stop feeding them kebabs. :lol:

Fashion retailer Abercrombie & Fitch is reversing the normal rules of product endorsement by offering a "substantial" sum to Michael Sorrentino – AKA The Situation from MTV's Jersey Shore – not to wear its clothes.

guardian

For me, it was answered in the seventies. Doug Scott snapped both ankles near the top of a mountain called The Ogre, in the Himalaya. It's smaller than Everest ( obviously) but much harder.

He was fucked, but his buddies ( Dougal Haston and Chris Bonington) got him down safely. It's an epic story, I'll see if I can find an online version later when I finish graft.

If anyone' interested , here's an account in his own words

A Crawl Down the Ogre in 1977

In summary ,if you can't be arsed, he snapped his legs at the top, took 6 days to crawl down the mountain, Bonington also broke a rib on the way, and when they got to Base Camp, everyone had fucked off thinking they were dead.

Nails

Used to work with roofing contractors when younger and as result of some of the madness required and encountered im now pretty plop with heights .

Having said that I think that cave diving carry on has gotta be one of the most panic-inducing persuits I could imagine !

Remember reading excerpts from (pretty sure was Bonnington book) when at school 25 yr ago or so about a cave dive. It was such a vividly evocative depiction . The dark, the cold, the silence, the panic etc. Was brilliant but horrific at same time.

Any of you thrillseekers been jammed in a tight hole , struggling for breath before ?

Used to work with roofing contractors when younger and as result of some of the madness required and encountered im now pretty plop with heights .

Having said that I think that cave diving carry on has gotta be one of the most panic-inducing persuits I could imagine !

Remember reading excerpts from (pretty sure was Bonnington book) when at school 25 yr ago or so about a cave dive. It was such a vividly evocative depiction . The dark, the cold, the silence, the panic etc. Was brilliant but horrific at same time.

Any of you thrillseekers been jammed in a tight hole , struggling for breath before ?

22602d1295542565-sleeping-under-full-moon-finbarr-saunders-viz.jpg

I have struggled through several tight, damp passages in Yorkshire and France. Gaping Ghyll being particularly memorable for it's sheer size. :lol:

Touching The Void

Not seen it, heard it's quality though.

Its a good book.

22602d1295542565-sleeping-under-full-moon-finbarr-saunders-viz.jpg

I have struggled through several tight, damp passages in Yorkshire and France. Gaping Ghyll being particularly memorable for it's sheer size. :lol:

I'd love to experience the cavern type stuff (ie where you can actually stand up !) some of the stalectite/mite formations etc are pretty wondrous. Accessing them I'd struggle with to say the least. Ethereal .

MF if you didnt see it try catch up with that Concrete Circus prog mentioned above mate. Think it would be right up your strasse. Top of their field Parkour, skateboarders, bmxing etc. each set about making short films to showcase their sport. Visually stunning last half hour too. A real buzz to watch. Danny MkAskill bit around railway sidings - mindblowing :icon_lol:

Highly reccommended viewing for the stoners out there too .

Never got on with them either. Bmx's were another story like.

One of the most tragic aspects of my very early years was being dragged along to some Swap Shop type event at Eldon Rec by me mother where she swapped me Etch a Sketch for a set of fucking roller-skates ! Ney shit.

I still get her a card at Christmas though.

I leave it on the patio where I buried her.

If anyone' interested , here's an account in his own words

A Crawl Down the Ogre in 1977

In summary ,if you can't be arsed, he snapped his legs at the top, took 6 days to crawl down the mountain, Bonington also broke a rib on the way, and when they got to Base Camp, everyone had fucked off thinking they were dead.

Nails

Jesus wept! And I mean that. Absolutely mental.