General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

School Prom night. Apparently they're all the rage as we struggled to book a limo for my young'uns birthday as it clashed with some 'Prom night'. Just wondering what the fuck happened to the school disco and sneaking some booze round the shop before you went in?

I think this Americanised idea is awful for kids at an age where peer pressure can be at its worst, what about kids who don't get invited for a date? What about the cost of limo's and fucking tuxedo's/dresses FFS? Terrible this is getting encouraged by schools if you ask me.

School Prom night. Apparently they're all the rage as we struggled to book a limo for my young'uns birthday as it clashed with some 'Prom night'. Just wondering what the fuck happened to the school disco and sneaking some booze round the shop before you went in?

I think this Americanised idea is awful for kids at an age where peer pressure can be at its worst, what about kids who don't get invited for a date? What about the cost of limo's and fucking tuxedo's/dresses FFS? Terrible this is getting encouraged by schools if you ask me.

Aye I would have hated this. And I speak as someone who would have basically had a queue of women wanting to go to the thing with me, including the fit female teachers.

Aye, it's utter shite. Of course I would have ignored it on principle as a kid, nothing to do with a lack of potential suitors (Smooth Operator aside). :whistle:

T'other half is a year 11 tutor at the mo and so is going to 'the prom' on Friday night. It's mental!

Thank fuck I'm working. I can't be arsed with the dressing up thing to start with and would end up spending the evening being pointed at by 16 year olds asking me if I'm "Sir's girlfriend *snigger*"

Despite being a ruggedly handsome bastard I was a bit shy round lasses at this age and nothing existed outside of playing/watching football. I would've hated this too, in fact really don't like the idea even now.

T'other half is a year 11 tutor at the mo and so is going to 'the prom' on Friday night. It's mental!

Thank fuck I'm working. I can't be arsed with the dressing up thing to start with and would end up spending the evening being pointed at by 16 year olds asking me if I'm "Sir's girlfriend *snigger*"

What's year 11 then, Cath? What age?

And what does your bloke think about the whole prom thing? Like I said, I think the thing is a very dodgy idea and I can't understand schools promoting it even if the Headteacher must be a halfwit obsessed with the USA.

What's year 11 then, Cath? What age?

And what does your bloke think about the whole prom thing? Like I said, I think the thing is a very dodgy idea and I can't understand schools promoting it even if the Headteacher must be a halfwit obsessed with the USA.

It's the old 5th year, so 15-16 year old school leavers.

The prom thing is just the done thing these days by the majority of schools. Himself hates the idea and normally wouldn't be seen dead at anything like it but he's has these kids in his tutor group since they were 11 and they all want him to go. They're either a decent set of kids or he's just absolutely desperate for a night out while I'm working!

It's the old 5th year, so 15-16 year old school leavers.

The prom thing is just the done thing these days by the majority of schools. Himself hates the idea and normally wouldn't be seen dead at anything like it but he's has these kids in his tutor group since they were 11 and they all want him to go. They're either a decent set of kids or he's just absolutely desperate for a night out while I'm working!

I suppose he's in a bit of a dilemma with his job if he doesn't like it.

Well if it was me and I hated the idea of it, I'd also have the idea that I'd be letting my pupils down and also could imagine the Headteacher not being too impressed with my opinions and the fact I wouldn't attend it on a principle. Then again, I'm obstinate with things I believe in at work which hasn't helped me in the past, plus I'm not a teacher, either! :D

I think we were the first year at our school to have this. Luckily missed it by being on holiday in Florida at the time. Sounded really, really shit though.

my year 11 one was shit, I stayed on at my schools 6th form though so I finished college and got another

much better when you can drink at things like this

Well if it was me and I hated the idea of it, I'd also have the idea that I'd be letting my pupils down and also could imagine the Headteacher not being too impressed with my opinions and the fact I wouldn't attend it on a principle. Then again, I'm obstinate with things I believe in at work which hasn't helped me in the past, plus I'm not a teacher, either! :D

Oh he's not arsed! It's not like he's contracted to go or anything, it's just a chance for a night out for staff with a little bit of responsibility early on and then an extended bar after the kids have been kicked out at the end of the night. Nothing as deep as principles come into it :lol:

And he's the face of modern teaching in today's school?

Fucking hell! Bring back the psycho sports teacher. All is forgiven. ;)

What on earth has it got to do with teaching?! :lol: He's had a good relationship with his kids for the last 5 years and they're having a shit party that he's invited to. We've all been to parties when we'd rather have been at home with our jarmies on and a glass of wine! :razz:

What on earth has it got to do with teaching?! :lol: He's had a good relationship with his kids for the last 5 years and they're having a shit party that he's invited to. We've all been to parties when we'd rather have been at home with our jarmies on and a glass of wine! :razz:

And reading a book as well no doubt! Team CT's 'burn the books!' has another convert! ;)

Was just thinking if he wants to get on then any misgivings he might have about a prom night could go down like a lead balloon that's all.

And reading a book as well no doubt! Team CT's 'burn the books!' has another convert! ;)

Was just thinking if he wants to get on then any misgivings he might have about a prom night could go down like a lead balloon that's all.

It's really not that important in the great big scheme of things. He doesn't walk around with a sandwich board declaring "Down with this sort of thing!"

I think you're worrying unnecessarily ;)

Kids love the prom night as they do with all the other American stuff that u's Brits lap up be that Coca cola santa, Halloween or McDonalds.

In reality it's not done like you see in the films with dates, it's the lads all getting together and having a few pre prom drinks and the girls doing the same.

A chance for them to dress up and really have a good laugh.

I think most of them dint take it as seriously as you are.

'Prom night'? In my day they were called formals and were fantastic fun. Of course we didn't have them until the last year of school/college when everyone was allowed to drink and was old enough to have a drink and a bit of craic with the teachers. They generally left about 11, at which point we moved on to an after party at a local sports hall with an illegal bar and a DJ til 3.

Kids love the prom night as they do with all the other American stuff that u's Brits lap up be that Coca cola santa, Halloween or McDonalds.

In reality it's not done like you see in the films with dates, it's the lads all getting together and having a few pre prom drinks and the girls doing the same.

Aye, that's the bit I really don't get. "Let's copy this great American idea but do it in a really half-arsed British way!" Sounds spiffing. :D

Aye, that's the bit I really don't get. "Let's copy this great American idea but do it in a really half-arsed British way!" Sounds spiffing. :D

I think the image some have is the boy knocking at the door with the corsage etc.... all very 70's early 80's. I would guess that the cool kids of USA do it just as we do nowadays.