General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Just reading about the English Civil war and my house was right in the middle of the Battle of Boldon Hill (1644).

The Newcastle lot were on Boldon hill and the Scots and Mackems were on Cleadon hills firing Canons at each other.

"Neither side could see an advantage and were hesitant to engage with one another. However, the two sides exchanged cannon fire and men lay dead in the valley"

That Valley is where I live. I can just imagine CT of the past ducking and diving.

Off now to search for cannonballs.

BTW, is this where the rivalry started or was it earlier?

Edited by Christmas Tree

Just reading about the English Civil war and my house was right in the middle of the Battle of Boldon Hill (1644).

The Newcastle lot were on Boldon hill and the Scots and Mackems were on Cleadon hills firing Canons at each other.

"Neither side could see an advantage and were hesitant to engage with one another. However, the two sides exchanged cannon fire and men lay dead in the valley"

That Valley is where I live. I can just imagine CT of the past ducking and diving.

Off now to search for cannonballs.

BTW, is this where the rivalry started or was it earlier?

You'd be sucking the general off to stay away from the front line.

You'd be wrenching the rings off fallen soldiers on both sides.

11am this morning a there's a national minutes silence for the 30 lost souls murdered by that muslim in Tunisia.

I'll bite.

That Muslim? The terrorist you mean? There were lots of Muslims there, most of them trying to save the lives of those shot.

I'll bite back. That Muslim terrorist, inspired by Islam, trained, armed and encouraged by other Muslims to "fight" for a very Islamic cause. Decent Muslims tried to stop him, many others will have applauded him.

But his defining characteristic on a beach full of Muslims was that he was a terrorist. Not Muslim. Call him a Muslim terrorist if you must, but I think language is important with stuff like this.

We talk about IRA terrorists, not Irish murderers,but everything else you said applies in that instance too.

I agree language is important. The IRA was a political organisation rooted in religion but inspired by the political history not by the bible. There is a political element to Islamic terrorism in which the west also figures but there's no denying the religion is much more central to the motivation. Trying to devolve it from the politics and fuckwittery is part of the problem.

No one was talking about that Christian that shot up a church a fortnight ago. Religion is only used as a descriptor for Muslims for some reason, well by certain people anyway.

Also they're always described as lone nuts rather than representing a whole religion etc...:lol:

No one was talking about that Christian that shot up a church a fortnight ago. Religion is only used as a descriptor for Muslims for some reason, well by certain people anyway.

Christian cunt terrorist

I read several articles calling Brevik a Christian terrorist and had no problem with it because it had a lot to do with his mental state.

Conflicts with terrorism are always a mixture of politics and religion to different degrees. A man in Tunisia who decides to kill Western tourists falls mainly in the religious part of the spectrum and denials of that abstract the cause.

But if he'd been motivated by politics, it would have been less cuntish? Fuck off man.

Glad to see plenty of western tourists are staying there to stand in solidarity with the people of Tunisia, especially the hotel workers who tried to help people, and now find themselves unemployed. We might finally be seeing an epiphany where people finally realise that the major goal of these nutters is not to actually kill people, it's to get the rest of them to run away home so you can scare the shit out of everyone else over here by telling us how frightening it all was. Didn't stop some dumbfucks declaring that they were never going abroad again though, sadly.

But if he'd been motivated by politics, it would have been less cuntish? Fuck off man.

Of course not - I think "normal" American gun sprees are just as cuntish - I just think the so called respect we're supposed to have for religions shouldn't prevent it being called out for being an inspiration to evil.

There was an article in the Guardian desperately trying to equate this bloke with the yank who shot up the church saying they were both lone wolf nutters. Of course it was written before it came out that the Tunisian had accomplices and had been trained in Libya (another success story for western democratisation of course)

Edited by NJS

There was a good piece about a technique used in Denmark (I think) where kids who are at risk of radicalisation are paired up with moderate Muslims who show them it's possible to be both Muslim and not a fucking psychopath.