General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Incidentally I dont recall England being successfully invaded after 1066. Unless you include the island of Jersey, but that was because it was full of cheese eating surrender monkeys at the time. Errr probably.

Edit: also not including King Bully of Orange who I think was invited by the English to be king. Or something.

Edited by Kitman

From memory there was a pact between William and a norse outfit who invaded from the north at the same time william invaded from the south. Harold saw off the vikings in the north but not the normans. Not surprising given his men wouldve been exhausted.

Not sure whether that supports the contention that chez put forward but ive never heard the Normans described as a viking outfit. They were however incredibly hard bastards who conquered swathes of Europe and the middle east. One of the crusaders whose I cant remember was famed for cutting a saracen on horseback in half at the waist.

Which is pretty cool. Balancing that up is they bequeathed tbe christian name of Norman to the western world.

Yeah. I thought he might have meant King Harold of Norway, but I would hope not. The Kingdom of Norway was hardly a 'tribe'. Also, Harold was contesting the English throne. Not sure there was much in the way of co-operation between the two. Just an advantageous situation for William because the English were forced to fight on two fronts at opposite ends of the country.

It was fraternal feuding that induced the admittedly expationist (he had a thing about Cnut and his north sea empire) Harald Hadrada to sail up the Ouse to Stamford Bridge for a punch up with Harold in September 1066. The English king's brother Tostig sailed with the Norwegian fleet after he was banished due to an earlier attempt to grab the English throne. Agree that there's not a lot if any evidence to suggest any collusion between the Normans and their distant cousins.

The British Isles had successive waves of invasion/conquest (or immigration as we now call it ;) ) throughout pre history and right through what we call the dark ages, but that also goes for pretty much the whole planet tbh :cuppa:

William wasn't French was my point Ausman. Just saying because there was a French king called Henry in 1066. He didn't invade England in 1066.

The reason the invasion in the south won because there was a cunning distraction in the North. There is clear evidence of collusion. The 'Norse Men' has been after the island for centuries.

Having acted like twat to the natives of England, he met a fitting end, rupturing his internal organs on a saddle pommel as he was, at age 59, taxi-driver shaped.

So chubby, in fact, that they had to force his corpse in to the sarcophagus, causing the bowels to burst and spray corpse shit everywhere.

Niiiiice :lol:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/britannia/anglo-saxon/hastings/williamdeath.html

Edit: didn't realise he was buried at Caen, I'll be there in August. I feel it only right and proper to visit his grave and loose a rancid, eggy chuff in tribute.

Having acted like twat to the natives of England, he met a fitting end, rupturing his internal organs on a saddle pommel as he was, at age 59, taxi-driver shaped.

So chubby, in fact, that they had to force his corpse in to the sarcophagus, causing the bowels to burst and spray corpse shit everywhere.

Niiiiice :lol:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/britannia/anglo-saxon/hastings/williamdeath.html

Edit: didn't realise he was buried at Caen, I'll be there in August. I feel it only right and proper to visit his grave and loose a rancid, eggy chuff in tribute.

:lol: That's horrendous. Funnily enough, that is very similar to something I just read on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/xo41d/doctorsnursesredditors_what_has_been_your_most/c5o66p2

My point still stands, your still part of Europe. Historically at least.

Indeed. I have just made a side career out of correcting (or at least introducing the nuance to) the 'French' invasion of England.

Indeed. I have just made a side career out of correcting (or at least introducing the nuance to) the 'French' invasion of England.

Don't give up your day job if you can't stand up your collusion point though...there's nothing in that link that even mentions the events leading up to the conquest.

Edited by PaddockLad

There was no collusion between William and the Norwegians. Harold wanted the throne as did William. William's ancestry was Danish in any regard so how he had 'tribal' relations with the Norwegian King is beyond me.

I'll get back to the problem with the notion of French nationhood during the 11th century later. It's more nuanced than simply saying the Normans weren't French. As that website you posted a link to actually covers briefly. Same question applies for the Bretons, the Basque, the Flemish, the Angevins, etc. Were any of them French? They spoke French. They practiced French customs. They fought as and with Frenchmen. So if they're not French, what does it take to be considered as French in the 11th century? A deep funk?

Rollo died in AD 932, he founded the Viking colony in what we now call Normandy. The Norman conquest of England was134 years later. I reckon there's a lad somewhere in England with Polish parents at school in 2015 who will play football for England before 2025. Think toontl makes a good point :D

I'll get back to the problem with the notion of French nationhood during the 11th century later. It's more nuanced than simply saying the Normans weren't French. As that website you posted a link to actually covers briefly. Same question applies for the Bretons, the Basque, the Flemish, the Angevins, etc. Were any of them French? They spoke French. They practiced French customs. They fought as and with Frenchmen. So if they're not French, what does it take to be considered as French in the 11th century? A deep funk?

The Normans were vicious hard bastards - clever, resourceful, never gave up in a sulk or ran away from a fight. I have to admit they don't sound French.