General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I think it was bill hicks who said the two main drugs accepted by society (caffeine and alcohol) are there respectively to help get you though the shite that is your life at work then blunt the edges at the end of day to take your mind off a meaningless existence in a capitalist system.

Where society frowns upon mind-expanding drugs - those ones are unacceptable - because they might help people see beyond the irrelevance of it all.

I think it was bill hicks who said the two main drugs accepted by society (caffeine and alcohol) are there respectively to help get you though the shite that is your life at work then blunt the edges at the end of day to take your mind off a meaningless existence in a capitalist system.

I certainly upped my consumption of the former after giving up the latter. But then I also started eating a lot more Haribo too. I reckon they put something addictive in Tangfastics.

Where society frowns upon mind-expanding drugs - those ones are unacceptable - because they might help people see beyond the irrelevance of it all.

That's probably, depressingly, true.

I certainly upped my consumption of the former after giving up the latter. But then I also started eating a lot more Haribo too. I reckon they put something addictive in Tangfastics.

I'm pretty sure smoking weed activates some kind of addictive chemical in fizzy jelly sweets.

I don't drink coffee at all myself - I've always been worried that if I start, I'll become dependent on it.

Fair enough drinking decaffe though, if you just like the taste.

that definitely happens, like any drug really. 

nobody likes the taste of coffee when they first try it. it's a bit like smoking tabs or drinking booze for the first time - you have to get through the initial unpleasant bit before you start reaping the rewards. 

The best one I've got of that list by the way is the instant hot water tap. Game changer not having to piss about waiting for the kettle to boil.

Can you set it to pour out water that's just under boiling?

i think that's what ours is as a default. perfect cup of tea temperature, basically. 

Was thinking for coffee? I thought tea was supposed to be made with boiling water?

Was thinking for coffee? I thought tea was supposed to be made with boiling water?

dunno. i don't drink it, possibly the least british thing to ever admit, but the wife goes through vats of the stuff and she loves the tap. 

it makes a good cup of coffee, yes. 

the last couple of pages chat on here have been excruciatingly middle class :lol: 

Aye, the people out the back from me have got a hot tub and they're full on bamps. There's been some sort of Batman version of Castle Grayskull lying on their drive for getting on for 2 months now. I watch the parents walk past it and not even look down at it.

I had to knock on their door a month back, cos the wife went to get something out of the garage and I saw a single sheet of paper blow out as she opened the door. She ignored it, perhaps hoping that it would join Castle Grayskull. Anyway, when I went out later, it was under my car. It was the original copy of one of the kid's birth certificates, which had apparently been filed loose-leaf in the garage. :lol:

"Hi, are you the Bell family...... Thought so, sorry to bother you, but one of your children's birth certificates was lying under my car.... "

Edited by Gemmill