Court rejects Da Vinci copy claim - Beeb

Rob W

Court rejects Da Vinci copy claim

Dan Brown

Dan Brown's book is being made into a Hollywood film

The Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown did not breach the copyright of an earlier book, London's High Court has ruled.

Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, who wrote 1982 book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, sued Random House, publisher of both books.

Mr Brown said the verdict "shows that this claim was utterly without merit".

"I'm still astonished that these two authors chose to file their suit at all." The ruling clears the way for the Da Vinci Code movie to come out in May.

Both books explore the theory that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a child and the bloodline survives to this day.

BATTLE OF THE BOOKS

The Da Vinci Code

Author: Dan Brown

Published: 2003

Global sales: 40m+

The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail

Authors: Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, Henry Lincoln

Published: 1982

Global sales: 2m+

Mr Baigent and Mr Leigh argued that Dan Brown copied their book's "central theme".

'Artificial creation'

But the judge, Mr Justice Peter Smith, said The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail did not have a central theme.

"It was an artificial creation for the purposes of the litigation working back from the Da Vinci Code," he ruled.

Dan Brown did use the previous book to write certain parts of his thriller, the judge decided, but did not substantially copy their work.

Mr Brown said a novelist must be free to "draw appropriately" from historical works without facing a court and having his integrity called into question.

After devoting so much time and energy to this case, I'm eager to get back to writing my new novel

Dan Brown

"I'm pleased with today's outcome, not only from a personal standpoint, but also as a novelist," he said.

"Books are an important part of our culture, and this is a good day both for those who write and for those who enjoy reading.

"After devoting so much time and energy to this case, I'm eager to get back to writing my new novel."

Random House chief executive Gail Rebuck welcomed the judgment and said: "We are pleased that justice - and common sense - have prevailed.

"It is highly unusual and very sad that these authors chose to sue their publishers, especially after 20 successful years.

"This case has been extremely distressing for all concerned. We never believed it should have come to court - and frequently tried to explain why to the claimants."

Film plans

There had been fears that the Hollywood blockbuster of The Da Vinci Code, starring Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou, could be delayed if the ruling went the other way.

Film company Sony said the verdict was "very important for the future of creative writing in the UK".

Sony welcomed the result and said it would release the film as planned next month.

The Da Vinci Code is still in the UK top 10 book sales chart, while The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is back in the top 40 thanks to the controversy.

Anyone read this? I've made the assumption it was poo as my uncle John recommended it to me. The only other book he's recommended was 'Bravo Two Zero'.

Mr Baigent and Mr Leigh argued that Dan Brown copied their book's "central theme".

But the judge, Mr Justice Peter Smith, said The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail did not have a central theme.

:lol:

Owned by the judge-turned book critic.

Edited by Gemmill

Good, I've read both and didn't think much of either tbh. But the authors were constantly tring to enhance their credibility by talking about the BBC, and playing their science against the church card; but they're money grabbing charlatans and this court case proves it.

117279[/snapback]

117279[/snapback]

:lol::lol:B)

Anyone read this? I've made the assumption it was poo as my uncle John recommended it to me. The only other book he's recommended was 'Bravo Two Zero'.

117278[/snapback]

It is a thrilling read, but it has the literary quality of HTT's posts...

watched a decent documentary a year ago or so back and it was about both these books, and mentioned the origins and went on about this Church and other monuments in the same area being perfect inline to make the shape of a star or something; also exact degrees etc.

117278[/snapback]

117288[/snapback]

Generous tbh.

On a serious note, Alex, some of the history was interesting, it is well researched, potential for all you can eat did-you-know-fantasia. The Dan Brown one.

I'd say it would be a perfect read for someone who watches bid-up tv. :lol:

117295[/snapback]

Says the premium importer of populist drivel to Britain! :lol: FACT-ASY ISLAND.

watched a decent documentary a year ago or so back and it was about both these books, and mentioned the origins and went on about this Church and other monuments in the same area being perfect inline to make the shape of a star or something; also exact degrees etc.

117290[/snapback]

thats a steal from the old ley line idea - all sorts of mystical places are on straight lines

simple stats shows that in a country like england where there are churches chapels and owld buildings all over the place you can pretty draw any line and make it "mystical"

117278[/snapback]

drivelling rubish I believe - "Foucaults Pendulum" is (slightly) better

117278[/snapback]

117288[/snapback]

Generous tbh.

On a serious note, Alex, some of the history was interesting, it is well researched, potential for all you can eat did-you-know-fantasia. The Dan Brown one.

117292[/snapback]

I'm quite interested in the history of the Knights Templar and all that sort of stuff. Isn't 'Foucault's Pendulum' by Umberto Ecco supposed to be like a good, more complex version of 'The Da Vinci Code'? I keep meaning to read it but I tend to get a bit intimidated by really long books these days.

Haven't read it, but might just add it to my play order now, been meaning to read something of his for a while.

The thing about The DaVinci Code is that it nearly takes longer to talk about it, than read it, definitely doable in a couple of hours.

117278[/snapback]

drivelling rubish I believe - "Foucaults Pendulum" is (slightly) better

117304[/snapback]

:lol: Great minds eh Rob?

I read this article in the Guardian a few weeks ago. Sums it up pretty well I think.

"You don't have to love the English language to disapprove of The Da Vinci Code. A passing respect for your mother tongue is enough to make you wince when Dan Brown takes a chainsaw to the old girl and slices her into clichés and easy-to-assemble sentences."

Wasnt up to much, but I quite enjoyed his other Angels & Demons.

Next up, the Mr Men series....

117328[/snapback]

My mam's moving house and she found all my Mr Men books in the loft. Classics, each and every one.

117278[/snapback]

117288[/snapback]

Generous tbh.

117292[/snapback]

I'm quite interested in the history of the Knights Templar and all that sort of stuff. Isn't 'Foucault's Pendulum' by Umberto Ecco supposed to be like a good, more complex version of 'The Da Vinci Code'? I keep meaning to read it but I tend to get a bit intimidated by really long books these days.

117308[/snapback]

It's very long and it's tough going tbh - much worse then the "name of the rose"

the NotR book isn't too bad - especially if you've seen the movie (exept you keep hearing bloody Connery's accent all the time in yer head)