14.Wigan Athletic................9........10pts

15.Fulham.........................10.......10pts

16.Aston Villa.....................10........9pts

17.Birmingham City............10........9pts

18.Manchester City..............9.........6pts

19.West Bromwich Albion.....9..........5pts

20.Sunderland....................10.........2pts

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Not all that far fetched- case in point the season of 2002/3 when Toon finished third under Sir Bobby, and then 95-97 second under Keegan. Rambling. Shutting up.

Just shows what you can do with a manager with a couple of brain cells. Can you imagine how good we would be with a top european coach in charge?

BTW we should win every game in our run-in now. Our fixtures are a peace of p*ss really.

Wigan- Win

Sunderland- Win

West Brom-Win

Brum- Draw (Fighting for their lives)

Chelsea- Win (Season over)

If this happened we should clinch at least 7th place which isn't bad considering we were suicidal in january!

1.  Manchester United.......9.......27pts

1.  Liverpool......................12.......25pts

3.  Chelsea.........................9.......19pts

4.  Newcastle United.......10.......19pts

5.  Blackburn Rovers..........10.....17pts

6.  Tottenham Hotspur........9......17pts

7.  Arsenal..........................9......16pts

8.  Everton..........................9......15pts

9.  Middlesbrough...............9.......15pts

10.Charlton Athletic...........11......14pts

11.Bolton Wanderers..........10......11pts

12.West Ham United............9.......11pts

13.Portsmouth....................8........10pts

14.Wigan Athletic................9........10pts

15.Fulham.........................10.......10pts

16.Aston Villa.....................10........9pts

17.Birmingham City............10........9pts

18.Manchester City..............9.........6pts

19.West Bromwich Albion.....9..........5pts

20.Sunderland....................10.........2pts

118426[/snapback]

Roeder and Shearer for the Toon!!!

After being chucked in at the eleventh hour with the club in a right state staring at a relegation battle they have done amazingly well it has to be said.

If they can turn us round in so quickly in a manner that O'neil, Hitzfeld, Hiddink etc would be praised to the skies for, it begs the question are they the men for the job?

They are after all proving that they are! What more could we have realistically asked for?

What could they achieve in a season?

see my thread on "12 points better off"

they haven't "turned us round " - Souness was 9 points ahead of last season now we're 12 points up

They just took over before we played some dross - when we played Chelski, Liverpool etc we crashed and burnt (again)

And before you ask - NO I don't want Souness back

Edited by Rob W

they haven't "turned us round " - Souness was 9 points ahead of last season now we're 12 points up

They just took over before we played some dross - when we played Chelski, Liverpool etc we crashed and burnt (again)

118558[/snapback]

Not sure what you are getting at Rob. Are Tottenham, in 4th place, dross? Bolton and Everton even? Winning away at Villa and Boro? Do you seriously think nothing has changed, we are not playing better? Do you seriously think Souness would have picked up these points, despite still having an extensive injury list as his favourite excuse?

The only really disappointing result has been the Charlton match for me, and even then, apparently we played OK but were unlucky. It's no surprise we are nowhere near ManU, Liverpool, or Chelsea tbh, but then, who is responsible for that?

Fact is, if Shepherd had pulled out his finger and binned Souness earlier, we would have been looking at Europe now, maybe even the Champions League. But no, he didn't, partly on the advice I suspect of people like you who seem to think good management makes no difference.

I don't disagree totally - but we often get points at the Boro and the Villa is our best away ground by far over the last 10-12 years

we've drizzled away points - such as the home games W ham, Fulham, Blackburn and Villa were especially disapointing

I agree we ARE playing better and its certainly a more cheerful atmosphere but statistically even Souness was well ahead of last season's dire performance

I don't disagree totally - but we often get points at the Boro and the Villa is our best away ground by far over the last 10-12 years

we've drizzled away points - such as the home games W ham, Fulham, Blackburn and Villa  were especially disapointing

I agree we ARE playing better and its certainly a more cheerful atmosphere but statistically even Souness was well ahead of last season's dire performance

118578[/snapback]

But didn't Souness only accumulate 6 or 7 points without Owen this season? I think the statistic you're quoting (I'll have to take your word on it it's true because it seems odd that we have already exceeded last year's points total to me) is a classic example of when they don't tell the whole story. Only the most ardent Souness fan or clueless fool (or both, probably) would suggest our team has not greatly improved since Roeder took charge. Give credit where it's due I reckon.

118558[/snapback]

erm i don't really see your point Rob? Remember it was soumess who guided us to 14th last year and after finishing 4th 3rd and 5th the seasons before aswell as kicking out Bellamy ! After spending £50m we were looking at relegation this season..

..untill that is Shepperd chucked Roeder and Shearer in to take over the helm and not only picked up more points than any of us could realistically have expected but have us playing good football again too!

If O'neil or Hitzfeld or Hiddink etc did that some people would be creaming their pants over what they could achieve next season!

118558[/snapback]

erm i don't really see your point Rob? Remember it was soumess who guided us to 14th last year and after finishing 4th 3rd and 5th the seasons before aswell as kicking out Bellamy ! After spending £50m we were looking at relegation this season..

..untill that is Shepperd chucked Roeder and Shearer in to take over the helm and not only picked up more points than any of us could realistically have expected but have us playing good football again too!

If O'neil or Hitzfeld or Hiddink etc did that some people would be creaming their pants over what they could achieve next season!

118650[/snapback]

I stilll want a "big name" manager but see where you're coming from. I guess one advantage Roeder has had that an ousider wouldn't have had immediately is he probably had a fair idea what was wrong with the club at the start. But fair play to him, and well done for being able to make some brave decisions like dropping Luque and Boumsong, despite their "value".

Who signed them again? :D

I stilll want a "big name" manager but see where you're coming from. I guess one advantage Roeder has had that an ousider wouldn't have had immediately is he probably had a fair idea what was wrong with the club at the start. But fair play to him, and well done for being able to make some brave decisions like dropping Luque and Boumsong, despite their "value".

Who signed them again? :D

118659[/snapback]

Agree profusely, tbh.

118558[/snapback]

118650[/snapback]

as I said I'm not, and never was, a Souness fan - what we got was what I expected

all I'm saying is that the stats don't show the AMAZING improvement in performance some people think

Roeder has done well to restore morale and to get good performances out of people that GS had left in shreds and heaven knows where would have finished if he'd stayed

118558[/snapback]

118650[/snapback]

as I said I'm not, and never was, a Souness fan - what we got was what I expected

all I'm saying is that the stats don't show the AMAZING improvement in performance some people think

Roeder has done well to restore morale and to get good performances out of people that GS had left in shreds and heaven knows where would have finished if he'd stayed

118770[/snapback]

Well we kind of agree then.

Roeder and Shearer have for me done a better job though than we could have expected any manager to come in and do. We didn't play well against man u or liverpool who were two teams finely tuned and on fire, i was a little disapointed with the way we played but only hoped for a draw against the pool tbh. Charlton we could have beaten, but didn't go our way and we've won the rest of the premiership games and deserved a draw at chelski in the cup imo.

Overall we've been great since Roeder and Shearer took over especially considering the mess we were in. If they carried on next season it would be very interesting.

Roeder seems to understand the players whereas I always had the impression that Wor Graham was a shouter

I'd be tempted to give Roeder a run - but we have no idea if he can buy well..............

Roeder seems to understand the players whereas I always had the impression that Wor Graham was a shouter

I'd be tempted to give Roeder a run - but we have no idea if he can buy well..............

118834[/snapback]

Agreed! Nothing to suggest he won't at the moment though.

Didn't rate him at all after his west ham spell tbh, but credit where credit's due people learn and improve, he's done a canny job so far for us and if he can continue that till the end of the season then i'd give him the job on a year or two's contract.

With Hiddink and Hitzfeld seemingly out the picture le guen gone to rangers and o'neil possibly going for the England Job we may be running out of suitable candidates anyway.

Sven's got a great cv so woulden't be disapointed there IF he wants it.

Big Phill Scholari'sa good candidate IF he wanted it (seems to prefer international coaching)

Who says big sam, Jewell etc would do a much better job?

But Roeder and Shearer know the club inside out, Shearer's Toon through and through i'd love it if they could be successfull with the Toon! Two guys that actually love the club and really care, not a mercenary brought in with no connection to the club at all.

Hopefully Shepherd will let them see out the season and if they continue as impressively let them carry on next season.

After the Wigan game...

1. Manchester United.......10.........28pts

2. Liverpool......................12.........25pts

3. Chelsea........................10.........22pts

4. Newcastle United.........11.........22pts

5. Tottenham Hotspur......10.........20pts

6. Arsenal.........................10.........19pts

7. Blackburn Rovers..........10.........17pts

8. Everton.........................10.........15pts

9. Middlesbrough...............10.........15pts

10.Charlton Athletic...........12.........14pts

11.West Ham United.........10..........14pts