1. Manchester United.......11.........31pts

2. Liverpool......................13.........28pts

3. Chelsea........................11.........25pts

4. Newcastle United.........12.........25pts

5. Tottenham Hotspur......11.........20pts

6. Arsenal.........................10.........19pts

Edited by Optimistic Nut

thats the trouble with this club...

its the directors and the managers relationships. bobby robson did really really well until he sold solano, as he got the best out of a variety of goodish players and misfits that would have caused havoc at most clubs.

souness tried ( in my humble opinion) to rule with a rod of iron and for players like bellamy and dyer thet does not work. he also made several very silly signings.

the best thing we can hope for is that the manager that comes in is given a free reign over the place, but listens to the locals... and i really do not want sven (no plan B....) there... we need a new defence, the midfield needs reinforcement and up front we're thin.... time to get rid of the dead wood and get some free transfers that are hungry.... and want to win..

:lol:

...and after the Sunderland game.

4. Newcastle United.........12.........25pts

5. Tottenham Hotspur......11.........20pts

6. Arsenal.........................10.........19pts

122504[/snapback]

Are you doing that by hand Nut or are you using Michael Wray's spreadsheet to work it out?

looks pretty spot on to me. Get a hold of that sheet though mate

http://www.michaelwray.co.nz

There's a sheet dedicated to form and you can specify a date. I've got it plumbed in to show the form since 2nd Feb 2006! :lol:

The prediction sheet makes interesting reading mind, it reckons we'll finish 6th on GD! :lol:

definitely would want to keep Roeder working with the first team in some capacity. I don't, however, think he's the man to take us onwards and upwards.

yes what he has acheived is mightily impressive, but remember that the tail end to our season has been pretty good to us, especially meeting teams who's form was dipping just at the right time. (Evert on, Bolton, Tottenham, Boro)

We did lose to Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea under Roeder, but more importantly I believe that we were totally outclassed in those games.

Worryingly, this is the level we should be aiming for.

Roeder deserves a role, but he cannot be expected to bring success to NUFC.

We did lose to Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea under Roeder, but more importantly I believe that we were totally outclassed in those games.

122738[/snapback]

I think that is more testament to the lack of quality within the squad, something which Roeder cannot be blamed for as he took charge after the transfer window closed.

The squad we have isn't good enough to challenge the top 3 and therefore I think it's unjustified somewhat to judge Roeder's ability on the basis of the results we got in those games.

That said, the question was put to me yesterday "would I be happy if Roeder got the job permanently?". The answer is that I simply don't know. Tactically, I think he's got the ability to take us where we want to go.

What we don't know of course is if he can do the business in the transfer market. Someone pointed out yesterday that he showed he can't because he signed Repka. Every manager buys at least one shit player during their time at a club (Keegan - Hooper & McDonough, Ferguson - Taibi, Wenger - Jeffers, etc) so I don't think we can automatically knock the bloke off one signing.

What does interest me is that he is a manager who was a defender in his playing days and therefore thinks with a defensive mind. Everyone knows that defensively, we've been fucking shite for years but when you look at our recent history of managers:

Souness (Midfielder)

Robson (Winger)

Gullit (Midfielder)

Dalglish (Striker)

Keegan (Striker)

Ardiles (Midfielder)

maybe there's a link? (and yes, I know Ardiles and Gullit [in later years] were defensive midfielders).

Personally I think the major difference since Roeder took the reins is the defence. We're a million times better!

Do we take him over O'Neill? Definitely not! But if it's between the likes of Curbishley, Allardyce, McLaren, etc I'd take Glenn every time. I certainly think he should have some involvement in coaching the first team - defensive coach perhaps? (That ought to piss Lawro off - still bitter about being fired Mark? :lol:)

122738[/snapback]

I think that is more testament to the lack of quality within the squad, something which Roeder cannot be blamed for as he took charge after the transfer window closed.

The squad we have isn't good enough to challenge the top 3 and therefore I think it's unjustified somewhat to judge Roeder's ability on the basis of the results we got in those games.

That said, the question was put to me yesterday "would I be happy if Roeder got the job permanently?". The answer is that I simply don't know. Tactically, I think he's got the ability to take us where we want to go.

What we don't know of course is if he can do the business in the transfer market. Someone pointed out yesterday that he showed he can't because he signed Repka. Every manager buys at least one shit player during their time at a club (Keegan - Hooper & McDonough, Ferguson - Taibi, Wenger - Jeffers, etc) so I don't think we can automatically knock the bloke off one signing.

What does interest me is that he is a manager who was a defender in his playing days and therefore thinks with a defensive mind. Everyone knows that defensively, we've been fucking shite for years but when you look at our recent history of managers:

Souness (Midfielder)

Robson (Winger)

Gullit (Midfielder)

Dalglish (Striker)

Keegan (Striker)

Ardiles (Midfielder)

maybe there's a link? (and yes, I know Ardiles and Gullit [in later years] were defensive midfielders).

Personally I think the major difference since Roeder took the reins is the defence. We're a million times better!

Do we take him over O'Neill? Definitely not! But if it's between the likes of Curbishley, Allardyce, McLaren, etc I'd take Glenn every time. I certainly think he should have some involvement in coaching the first team - defensive coach perhaps? (That ought to piss Lawro off - still bitter about being fired Mark? :lol:)

122744[/snapback]

Craig, I can't believe you are overlooking the real reason for the improvement in our defence, the rise and world domination of Romoreeio!

Edited by sammynb

122738[/snapback]

Souness (Midfielder)

Robson (Winger)

Gullit (Midfielder)

Dalglish (Striker)

Keegan (Striker)

Ardiles (Midfielder)

122744[/snapback]

Good post Craig; worryingly I'm starting to agree with you a fair bit! :lol::nufc:

122744[/snapback]

'tis a good post :lol:

If we're not going to get a top european coach (which I'm pretty certain we're not), I would only take O'Neill and maybe Allardyce over Glenn now.

I like the way he goes about it: quiet; calm; minimum of fuss; to the point

That could be just what we need, we've been the comedy club in the eyes of the press for far too long. If Roeder can ship out the expensive flops and bring in some honest pros I think we would benefit, in the long term, from having a lower profile in the next couple of years.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

122806[/snapback]

Doesn't sound like he was calm and quiet yesterday - what did he say? I've stripped the paint off the tiles in the dressing room! :lol:

122806[/snapback]

Doesn't sound like he was calm and quiet yesterday - what did he say? I've stripped the paint off the tiles in the dressing room! :lol:

122822[/snapback]

I know it's the mackems, but vandalism is not a laughing matter.

122744[/snapback]

'tis a good post :nufc:

If we're not going to get a top european coach (which I'm pretty certain we're not), I would only take O'Neill and maybe Allardyce over Glenn now.

That could be just what we need, we've been the comedy club in the eyes of the press for far too long. If Roeder can ship out the expensive flops and bring in some honest pros I think we would benefit, in the long term, from having a lower profile in the next couple of years.

122806[/snapback]

you dont mean proper players do you? :lol: sounds familiar

our defense was comparable to Arsenals under Keegan, and our defense was good under Robson as well.

it's a good theory, but I think that our best bet is to hire a top rate manager, rather than a man who might become one.

our defense was comparable to Arsenals under Keegan, and our defense was good under Robson as well.

it's a good theory, but I think that our best bet is to hire a top rate manager, rather than a man who might become one.

123770[/snapback]

Is your sig a pisstake btw?

123770[/snapback]

123772[/snapback]

which part? good to see another Johnny Cash fan tbh :lol:

123770[/snapback]

123772[/snapback]

123804[/snapback]

The Gillette M3Power Owner bit mainly.

123770[/snapback]

123772[/snapback]

123804[/snapback]

The Gillette M3Power Owner bit mainly.

123807[/snapback]

why are they no good like? Ive gotta be honest I usually save my money by buying cheapy bic orange razors which do the job like :icon_lol:

...and after the WBA game.

2. Newcastle United.........13.........28pts

5. Tottenham Hotspur......12.........21pts

6. Arsenal.........................11.........20pts