Free Broadband Forever

Gemmill

The first half or the second half?

119589[/snapback]

The ping times (I presume you meant) bit. Dont believe that.

119603[/snapback]

It's because cable transfers packets more quickly than telephone wire, nothing to do with ntl getting something right, why wouldn't you believe that?

Haven't used them myself, but I'd be fairly confident that's correct.

The first half or the second half?

119589[/snapback]

The ping times (I presume you meant) bit. Dont believe that.

119603[/snapback]

He's right. Cable offers better pings than ADSL. NTL issues must be a regional thing as I know plenty of people who havent had any problems at all and think its great. I used to have Telewest a few years back when I lived in the Midlands and it was spot on.

18 month minimum contract for the free broadband, so I've decided to sack it off.  I'll stick with BT for now.  Just keeping you all informed.

Has anyone signed up with this btw?  Stops you getting telemarketing calls:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

119590[/snapback]

what's the catch?

18 month minimum contract for the free broadband, so I've decided to sack it off.  I'll stick with BT for now.  Just keeping you all informed.

119590[/snapback]

what's the catch?

119614[/snapback]

There doesn't seem to be one. I know they have these things over in the US as well and they pretty much get rid of all the telemarketers.

Pings arent restricted to within NTLs network - unless of course you mean that, in which case I would suspect every network is similar . As you exit NTLs network then there are a lot of external factors.

The amount of factors in transmitting data (ping packets in this case) are varied. eg routing, connection speeds, contention, recipients location etc etc

For example are you saying that NTL can get a ping packet to America quicker than any other ISP in the UK? Highly unlikely. The approximate roundtrip for a ping packet from London to New York (off the top of me noggin) is about 70-100ms. There is no possible way you can do this unless you know a way of breaking the speed of light which takes ~50ms transatlantic, then ontop of that you have routers, switches etc passing on the data.

Unless I am missing something completely obvious, then I apologise, but I dont see how NTL can trasmit data quicker due to "being cable" ?

I see what you're saying, but most of the slowdown comes on the first leg of the journey - from the client to the ISP, once you get onto the backbone my understanding is that the packets are travelling via fibre-optics. Doing a traceroute from where you are should prove it, although I think as the networks upgrade it's becoming less and less of an issue.

I see what you're saying, but most of the slowdown comes on the first leg of the journey - from the client to the ISP, once you get onto the backbone my understanding is that the packets are travelling via fibre-optics.  Doing a traceroute from where you are should prove it, although I think as the networks upgrade it's becoming less and less of an issue.

119639[/snapback]

In which case are you suggesting there is less contention than other heavily loaded ISPs? Thats the only reason I can think of (if you are comparing identical connection speeds). Cant see the "its because its cable" arguement though

Edit: Just out interest can you ping eg www.bbc.co.uk and www.yahoo.com. Could you let me know what ping times you get? Sorry, curiousty is getting the better of me.

;)

Edited by Holden McGroin

In which case are you suggesting there is less contention than other heavily loaded ISPs? Thats the only reason I can think of (if you are comparing identical connection speeds).  Cant see the "its because its cable" arguement though

119641[/snapback]

But cable's a crucial part of what I'm saying, because cable physically gets the packets from the client to the exchange faster it has a marked advantage.

My ping is over 60ms to the bbc.co.uk, but I use ADSL in France, on a bloody woeful connection due to the quality of the telephone cable layed where I live, so it's not going to prove much.

In which case are you suggesting there is less contention than other heavily loaded ISPs? Thats the only reason I can think of (if you are comparing identical connection speeds).  Cant see the "its because its cable" arguement though

119641[/snapback]

But cable's a crucial part of what I'm saying, because cable physically gets the packets from the client to the exchange faster it has a marked advantage.

My ping is over 60ms to the bbc.co.uk, but I use ADSL in France, on a bloody woeful connection due to the quality of the telephone cable layed where I live, so it's not going to prove much.

119659[/snapback]

Sorry, thought you said you were on NTL earlier. ;)

119590[/snapback]

what's the catch?

119614[/snapback]

There doesn't seem to be one. I know they have these things over in the US as well and they pretty much get rid of all the telemarketers.

119628[/snapback]

I'll ask the question again for people posting today - has anyone used this? Would be interested to know if it works cos people were twisting about telemarketers on here a week or two ago?

119590[/snapback]

what's the catch?

119614[/snapback]

119628[/snapback]

I'll ask the question again for people posting today - has anyone used this? Would be interested to know if it works cos people were twisting about telemarketers on here a week or two ago?

119783[/snapback]

I've used, it actually works a treat.

Put both the landline number in and not had a single telemarketer since (~8months). And the mobile as well as i was getting stupid texts from scammers saying "you have already won £9000, just call this premium rate number for 2months to collect" and they've totally stopped too and thats beena bout 14months

Sorry, thought you said you were on NTL earlier.  ;)

119706[/snapback]

No hassle, I used them for television once, never again.