Giving Blood

Shearergol

I've done it 10 times in total - now got some lapel badge (which I've lost) and a bronze coloured card (also lost)...

9422[/snapback]

"nothing flashy, nothing over the top... perhaps a little badge that says "HE GAVE THAT OTHERS MIGHT LIVE!!"

Hancock of course :drinks::P:(:(:(

I've done it 10 times in total - now got some lapel badge (which I've lost) and a bronze coloured card (also lost)...

9422[/snapback]

"nothing flashy, nothing over the top... perhaps a little badge that says "HE GAVE THAT OTHERS MIGHT LIVE!!"

Hancock of course :(:(:(:(:(

9448[/snapback]

A pint??? :drinks:

*classic* :P

I used to go. I once persuaded a girlfriend to go at uni. They managed to split the vein or something, claret everywhere, ruined white top. She didn't go back.

Last time I went was with my brother and a mate and they wouldn't accept any of us. One of us had had alcohol in the preceeding 24 hours, one had paracetamol in the last seven days and one had been on holiday in the caribbean in the last year.

Do you still get garibaldi biscuits and kia-ora?

I really should do this but im scared :P Ive heard it hurts

9480[/snapback]

I used to think like that and always made some excuse up for not going. Then when I started working for my company, I found out the blood-bus parked in our car park every 4 months - decided there was no more excuse and went for it and have been every time since (good excuse to get away from my desk!)....

Hurts? What hurts the most is the pre-test they do for your anemia. They prick the end of your finger and because you've got shitloads of nerves there it does sting a bit - but no worse than catching it on a drawing pin.

The transfusion itself I find a piece of piss - lets not get away from the fact that it isn't a small needle (actually it's more like a metal tube with a spike at the end, but it's in your arm before you know it. After that the worst feeling I've had is a bit of numbness around the area as the blood is draining.

It IS different for everyone, I can actually get up after the bed straight away and leave, I don't need the rest nor the drink (although I usually grab one just for the hell of it), but some people can react to it and feel very faint - all you have to remember is these people are trained to watch for it and do look after you.

Personally I think it is something everyone should do at least once. If you get told you're not acceptable or simply if you find 'it's not for you' then fine, at least you've had a go.... :drinks:

Do they still have the oldest nurses in the world working for the blood transfusion service? From what I remember it was like the medical equivalent of Dads Army when I used to go.

9516[/snapback]

Some of them are, but they've got one on our bus who's about 25 and fecking gorgeous.....

Me, shallow?? Dunno what you're on about! :drinks:

Do they still have the oldest nurses in the world working for the blood transfusion service? From what I remember it was like the medical equivalent of Dads Army when I used to go.

9516[/snapback]

Some of them are, but they've got one on our bus who's about 25 and fecking gorgeous.....

9520[/snapback]

With guys like you Craig making comments like that I reckon the fill rate on the bags is pretty quick- even more so if all alternative vein site were to be used. **gets coat with tongue firmly in cheek**

9516[/snapback]

9520[/snapback]

With guys like you Craig making comments like that I reckon the fill rate on the bags is pretty quick- even more so if all alternative vein site were to be used. **gets coat with tongue firmly in cheek**

9521[/snapback]

:(

All this time they've been pleading for people to give bloody though and all they had to do was hoy a few pretty nurses in there - bingo! :P

Being a blood transfusion nurse is one of the easiest jobs in the profession! It's where all the skivers end up :drinks:

As for it being painful? It's not really. You're aware that there's something in your arm but it's more uncomfortable than painful.

As for it being painful?  It's not really.  You're aware that there's something in your arm but it's more uncomfortable than painful.

9528[/snapback]

Yep, I'd agree with that - just feels like you've got a weight lying on your arm... :drinks:

Eww Bridget, have you had the test for bone marrow?? Now THATdoes hurt like fuck and I swear there is no pain like it!!

My Mam suffered from Multiple Myeloma and one of the possible ways of treating it is bone marrow transplant. Naturally I was tested and was a bit weary when they rather sternly advised that this would be rather uncomfortable. For a nurse to say that, it did make me think....

I wasn't prepared for it, they jabbed what can only be described as a blunt metal rod through my skin and into my pelvis. Fucking hell did that hurt, but oh no, this was just the tip of the iceberg - THEN they began to withdraw the marrow.....

I can't describe the pain properly but I it's what i imagine pouring concentrated sulphuric acid into open wound combined with it being 'fired' by a welding torch!! I'm sure the whole fucking hospital heard me scream!

Would I do it again? I would, but the fuckers can knock me out next time - no way in hell am I experincing THAT again!

Thank god for that - mind you I'm going back over 9 years now so methods may have changed but if there's a worse form of torture than that, I don't even want to begin to consider what it could feel like!