Taylor ‘Would Kick His Granny to Win’

Scottish Mag

GLENN Roeder admits he has struggled to keep defender Steven Taylor on a tight leash in training recently.

Roeder revealed Taylor has been champing at the bit to be involved in this weekend's Easter double header against Wigan and Sunderland.

But the Newcastle caretaker boss believes the games against the Latics and the Black Cats have come too soon for his young defender.

Instead, the home clash against West Brom on April 22 has been pencilled in as his comeback game.

The 20-year-old defender has been out of action since he dislocated his shoulder - for the second time this season - on Boxing Day in United's 2-0 defeat against Liverpool at Anfield. He originally put his shoulder out in the 1-0 home win with Birmingham on November 5.

"Taylor has been in training for a while now and is actually physically fit, but today was the first time he will have had the green light to go full out," said Roeder, who also welcomes back Celestine Babayaro and Albert Luque to full training.

"He will have full contact with the rest of the players with no quarter given for the first time and, knowing the kind of lad he is, we are expecting him to come through OK.''

Roeder has been impressed with the attitude and application his talented defender has revealed during his rehabilitation and admitted it has been hard holding him back.

"Some days he has worked on his own but he's back to a level of physical fitness. If he had full movement in the shoulder then he was fit enough to play last Sunday,'' he said.

"But we have to get the full range of movement in his shoulder. He's been doing lots of swimming and working in the gym. In between times he's out working with us.

"It's not a problem of us saying 'be careful, no crashing into Steven'. The problem is to get Steven to stop crashing into our players.

"It's a long time since I've seen a player who I get the feeling would kick his granny to win and that's lovely - although not for granny."

Michael Owen's comeback date has been pencilled in a week later for United's trip to Birmingham City.

Roeder added: "Michael stepped up his running yesterday and things are going along very nicely for him at the moment."

Meanwhile, the Magpies have been linked with a second striker in a matter of days.

On Friday, it was revealed United were interested in signing Holland international striker Dirk Kuyt from Feyenoord.

Yesterday, Genclerbirligi's Promise Issac acknowledged the Magpies were chasing his signature. And judging by his comments the striker, who can also play in midfield, will be a welcome addition to the eclectic bunch already at St James' Park.

"Two different (agents) whose identity I don't want to disclose yet have come to me with the idea of joining Newcastle United and Paris Saint Germain, but I have not given them my consent to arrange the deal," said Issac, who had an unsuccessful trial at Manchester United in 2003.

"I want to take things easy as I have prayed to God to lead me to His own preferred club where my football will blossom.

"I am searching for a good, sincere and honest player's manager who will not only manage my career but my entire domestic life and I am very sure that God will provide me one very soon."

Issac joined Turkish league Genclerbirligi in July last year from Grays International and has helped his side to fourth in the league after netting ten goals in 29 games.

* Shay Given has had an own goal attributed to him against Liverpool on Boxing Day last year chalked off by the Premier League dubious goals panel and given to Peter Crouch

He can kick my Granny instead if he likes.

120049[/snapback]

Taylor 'Would Kick Ally's Granny to Win' wouldn't be as impressive a demonstration of his will to win though. He'd probably kick your granny for a draw.

120049[/snapback]

Taylor 'Would Kick Ally's Granny to Win' wouldn't be as impressive a demonstration of his will to win though. He'd probably kick your granny for a draw.

120050[/snapback]

I dunno its some challenge, the old bat probably bites.

120049[/snapback]

120050[/snapback]

;) just spit my pizza out there! good call gemmill

0140369899.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

120236[/snapback]

First time I read that as "You canny shove yer granny up yer arse". :)

The picture didn't help at first glance, either.

Edited by DotBum