United stay cool over O'Neill for England reports

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United stayed calm after their No1 target for the vacant managerial post at St James' Park Martin O'Neill was touted today as favourite for the England job.

And Freddy Shepherd was equally cool when Sky Sports finally woke up to the fact that, as revealed in the Chronicle on March 4, Inter Milan manager Roberto Mancini wants the United job.

But Sky Sports can go back to sleep because Mancini is in a long list of foreign managers in the Ladbrokes betting who will not be appointed by United.

Leading Italian journalist Gabriele Marcotti, of the renowned Corriere dello Sport and La Stampa newspapers, waxed lyrical about Mancini on Sky yesterday, saying how perfect he would be for United, but the Inter Milan manager does not speak English and this is obviously not something in his favour.

Meanwhile, all the talk today on the England front was that O'Neill was now favourite to replace Sven-Goran Eriksson after he was pictured running into a supposed hush-hush meeting with FA supremo Brain Barwick yesterday.

However, the Chronicle understands that, as we revealed last Wednesday, Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren is in pole position for England and that the job is his to lose.

Oliver shitting himself at having to try and get one of his exclusives out of an non-English speaking Italian.

"But Sky Sports can go back to sleep....". Ooooo Alan, I bet they'll be gutted about the fact that you posted a total non-story with no quotes about Mancini a month ago. ;) They haven't picked up on the fact that we're signing Brett Emerton yet either. Oh.

Guest CrimsonFault

I dunno if I'd take Mancini. Inter are the biggest under-achievers in Italy with world class players in the squad.

Guest CrimsonFault
I don't know anywhere near enough about the bloke to be able to comment on whether he'd be up to the task.

120057[/snapback]

Well he's got long grey hair if that helps? ;)

I don't know anywhere near enough about the bloke to be able to comment on whether he'd be up to the task.

120057[/snapback]

Well he's got long grey hair if that helps? ;)

120061[/snapback]

Don't want him then! :blink:

His hair is the business to be fair to him, but appointing Mancini here would be a shocking decision. No experience of Premiership football, underachieved at Inter and doesn't speak English. I've seen Inter play a couple of times this year and they're generally quite poor.

Roeder would be a better appointment.

No experience of Premiership football

He played in the Premiership for Leicester

underachieved at Inter

Won them their first trophy since 1991 last season

doesn't speak English.

Does that really matter?

I've seen Inter play a couple of times this year and they're generally quite poor.

Seria a

1 Juventus 80

2 Milan 73

3 Internazionale 71

4 Roma 63

Played 33 W 22 D 5 L 6 F 61 A 25 GD 36

Also QF of the Champions League and in the final of the Coppa Italia

;)

I dunno if I'd take Mancini. Inter are the biggest under-achievers in Italy with world class players in the squad.

120056[/snapback]

To be fair, after Juventus who are running away with Serie A, Inter are neck and neck with Milan for the first time in a good while.

doesn't speak English.

Does that really matter?

Of course it doesnt ;)

120175[/snapback]

Well Benitez hardly spoke English when he took charge of Liverpool and he hasn't done too bad...

Also, we've only got Alan Olivers word on this.

No experience of Premiership football

He played in the Premiership for Leicester

underachieved at Inter

Won them their first trophy since 1991 last season

doesn't speak English.

Does that really matter?

I've seen Inter play a couple of times this year and they're generally quite poor.

Seria a

1 Juventus 80

2 Milan 73

3 Internazionale 71

4 Roma 63

Played 33 W 22 D 5 L 6 F 61 A 25 GD 36

Also QF of the Champions League and in the final of the Coppa Italia

;)

120166[/snapback]

Perhaps expectations are too high at Inter, but they're very high here too. Bottom line is with the resources he's got there he's underachived, as the fact that he's being forced out illustrates.

I've heard that apparently he does speak English so you can strike that one, and of course it matters.

Personally don't think a whole lot of the Italian League these days.

Mancini would be a massive risk to me. I personally rate Roeder quite highly so it wasn't so much a knock on Mancini as you might think.

We need someone who'll bring us some stability. Mancini could be a total disaster.

Souness was supposed to be bringing stability. What a load of tosh.

I don't know much about Mancini, but he finished third last season and won the cup, this season, they're fighting for second and potentially about to win a cup. O'Neill bought a few cheap players (at leicester, not so at Celtic apart from Agathe) and managed to scare the shit of everyone else by bullying them into submission.

Just because Adriano and Martins are amazing on Football Manager, doesn't mean they should be winning the league. Fuck, I won the league in my first season with Luque playing a blinder on the wing (and then four successive champion league and league titles followed). But I digress.

After retiring as a player, Mancini coached Fiorentina (2001–2002) and Lazio (2002–2004) before moving to Inter in 2004. He won the Coppa Italia with both Fiorentina (2001) and Lazio (2004). Currently coaching Inter, he has already won Coppa Italia (2005) and Supercoppa Italiana (2005), becoming the most successful Inter coach of the last 10 years.